What tools do you bring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattnKelli

Ok, so we are getting ready to hit the road (as soon as the house sells) and we have the DutchStar almost ready to go. The previous owner sold the coach to us with everything included. I mean everything! Sets of linens, towels, dishes, cups, silverware, everything. Including a basement and two kitchen drawers full of tools. I am now the proud owner of six tool boxes, sets of spare screws, washers, flashlights, tape measures, and I haven't begun to count the hammers. There is a 4 ton floor jack, and a bottle jack. There are two big bolt cutters, and a garden saw, plus countless other things I haven't gone through. The thing is, they weren't even full timers.

Did this guy turn his coach into a tool shed, or does he know something I don't know?

What tools do you always have with you? I understand spare hose clamps, bailing wire, and duct tape, but bolt cutters?

If you carry something odd, give me a reason too.

Thanks  :D

I think it depends on 2 things. Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) and your personal skill set. I can change a tire or water pump or in tank fuel pump. I carry the tools to change a tire or water pump but my CCC prohibits the tools for dropping a fuel tank.

Bill

It does indeed depend a lot on your personal skills and your inclination to make or build things, even on the road. I have one bay full of tools and repair accessories, e.g. sandpaper, adhesives, caulks, etc. You can be prepared for any eventuality and DIY repair, or you can plan on calling for help if anything goes wrong. Or anywhere in-between. If screwdriver, pliers, wire and duct tape are the only tools you are prepared to use, then there is little point in carrying much else.

I will add that it is a good idea to carry a digital VOM (volt-ohm meter) and know how to use it. It is very helpful to be able to do basic checks on both 12v and 120v electric. No need to be an electrician, but taking voltage measurements and determining if a circuit is working or not is most helpful, even if you end up taking the rig to a shop for the actual repair.

I carry silver foil tape. It works similar to duct tape but looks better and conforms to the surface better. It's not as strong as duct tape, but if you're trying to waterproof a scrape in the skin of your rig, or stop a wind whistle etc, it works great. Find it in the insulation section of your big box store.

Ken

I don't full time it, but here's what i do....
I have a tool bag I keep at home, something similar to this one
http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1528-Electrical-Maintenance/dp/B0000DYVHS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1411401562&sr=8-10&keywords=tool+bag
It has most of the stuff I use 90% of the time at home
screw sticks, various pliers, channel locks, wire stripper, pry bar, hammer, box cutter utility knife, a few wire nuts, multimeter, etc.....

So when I load up the RV with my underwear and whatever else I need for the trip, it comes along too.  Most times I grab my cordless drill too.

Onboard, I have a small box with some misc stuff such as tapes, adhesives, valve stem tool, misc screws, etc... that lives in the coach
I had recently picked up a roll of this at Lowes, and used it just yesterday to temporarily fix a leaking strainer at my water pump!  My first time using this stuff and I recommend it!
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_wrap/overview/Go2-Repair-Wrap.htm

If I were full timing it, I would probably carry a few more items but not much.  I'm pretty handy, and can fix most anything I care to with that stuff.  Anything bigger I'd likely choose not to fool with anyway..... or if I come across an emergency repair that needs a small tool I don't have a long such as a hacksaw or whatever, there's almost always a store nearby.....

I carry a fairly extensive tool set and known how to use all of them.. This includes jacks, hammers, wrenches screwdrivers (both manualy and power, both line and battery operated) Saws, Grinders and cutters, and more.  Even air impact wrenches and hammers and a compressor to power 'em.

As I said, I know how to use 'em, Have used 'em in the past.. But do not often do so now as modern engines are a bit beyond my training (Computer wise) and desire to work on (Physical issues)  That said I'm still very good on small stuff.

YOu might want to get rid of duplicates, either store the copies or Yard Sale (or donate to Salvation Army, Church, Or whomever)

Always carry a Robertson screw driver to tighten all the square screws on  your rig, a torque wrench, and as mention previously, tools to fit your experience, Gorilla tape, and a credit card.  This should get you by.

Good Sam roadside service and a credit card. :)  Beyond that, a multi-piece tool kit in a tote kit, a small toolbox for meter, Channellocks, Cresent wrench, stuff like that.  Plus small ax and tree saw for firewood.

MattnKelli said:
Ok, so we are getting ready to hit the road (as soon as the house sells) and we have the DutchStar almost ready to go. The previous owner sold the coach to us with everything included. I mean everything! Sets of linens, towels, dishes, cups, silverware, everything. Including a basement and two kitchen drawers full of tools. I am now the proud owner of six tool boxes, sets of spare screws, washers, flashlights, tape measures, and I haven't begun to count the hammers. There is a 4 ton floor jack, and a bottle jack. There are two big bolt cutters, and a garden saw, plus countless other things I haven't gone through. The thing is, they weren't even full timers.

Did this guy turn his coach into a tool shed, or does he know something I don't know?

What tools do you always have with you? I understand spare hose clamps, bailing wire, and duct tape, but bolt cutters?

If you carry something odd, give me a reason too.

Thanks  :D

Oddly enough  8) , we have a list of suggested tools in our library.  To check them out, CLICK HERE

Awesome, great ideas.

Carl, thanks for the link, but no mention of bolt cutters.

Thanks guys

I used to carry bolt cutters - they are handy if you need to trim a bolt to the right length. But my fancy Gardner-Bender wire strippers include bolt shears for common sizes up to 10-24, which handles most routine needs. I no longer carry the bolt cutters.

You would probably chuckle at some of my tool kit too. I'm handy with woodworking, so carry enough gear to do wood cabinet repairs and minor re-finishing. A 30" wood clamp, sandpapers up to 1500 grit, that sort of thing.  Our coach has a lot of cherry wood and it needs TLC from time to time.  Then there is the 24" channel lock pliers, sort of a tool of last resort for gripping big things. Mostly it gets used on recalcitrant sewer caps that somebody jammed on too tight.

Here's a good one: this year we are carrying a Black & Decker cordless weed whacker! Yeap, one of those grass trimmers! We planned to spend 3 months on a grassy site and didn't want to move all our tables, chairs, grill, etc. out of the way so the park could mow, so we brought our own yard tool.  I don't expect that will be with us next summer, though.

A few things I carry that would surprise some folks. One is a corded Jig Saw. With that and a variety pack of blades you can cut most anything (and I have). Also a cordless drill driver.  I too try to repair most things myself and avoid repair shops like the plague. Oh, and also a folding mechanics creeper.  If you gotta get under your rig or toad, it makes it way easier. 

Hell, sometimes it feels like I have my entire shop in the coach and when towing the trailer I pretty much DO have the entire shop or rolling one at least.  Less the lathe and mill of course. ;)

I agree with most others though, I think it depends more on your skill set than just merely deciding on what tools to pack or which ones not to.  Personally, I would rather pack a bunch and not need any of them.

I will admit though I take less nowadays than I used to.  When racing I used to take welder, grinders, air compressor, air tools, jacks, jackstands and much more.  The thing that started to frustrate me was I wasn't using the above tools on my stuff because I was prepared for the race, dunes or trip/vacation before the car/quads were loaded in the trailer from the shop.  However, other people that we traveled and raced with were not coming prepared and I was ending up helping them AND supplying the tools.  Stupid me, I know.  I then realized that if I broke something to the point it needed to be welded or something major, I was done for the weekend and I would load it in the trailer and repair it when I got back home.

Much less stress and I was actually able to enjoy my trips much more.  Now I don't take as many tools and don't feel the pressure to work on everyone elses' toys.

Mike.

Chet18013 said:
It doesn't matter. I find what ever tool I need, it's the one I left at home and I do carry a lot more tools than I need.

I'll agree with that one.  Been there done that too.

Mike.

Incredible responses everybody! Thanks!

I do prefer to be over-prepared, and that has cost me a lot of tools. (The ones that your buddy says he will bring right back) I'm keeping the bolt cutters, but I'm 86ing the garden saw for my battery powered reciprocating saw. With a wood blade I can cut fire wood quick. I now have two multi meters, and I gotta watch a video on how to properly use them.

My Father and Grandfather are/were hobby carpenters. Because of them, I do enjoy building things. I thought it was funny to bring my compound miter saw, but now it sounds like a great idea.

Thanks again everybody!

Unless you are a fulltime RVer, you can probably manage all your cutting chores with either a recip or a jig saw. Battery-powered is the handiest. Add to that a battery drill/driver and you are in business with only modest space consumed.

I employ a cost/benefit tradeoff as well. In this case that means I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars rather than carry enough tools be prepared for any conceivable repair at the roadside. For example, if I carry my 1/2" ratchet, I can buy the right size socket for whatever job needs doing and I don't need to carry the complete set. That doesn't help if I'm broken down on a lonely roadside, but I have my roadside assist insurance for that eventuality. As I get older (and fatter!), I'm less inclined to do roadside repairs anyway. Limping into a camp ground or shop is fine with me, and getting towed in is an option as well.  Other examples: I have a pop riveter, but don't worry about carrying every possible rivet size cause I can buy them easily; I carry a spare fuel filter but not spare oil or other filters, cause I can buy those at need and don't need them for roadside emergencies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom