cleaning dead bugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binskyx5

i just purchased my first motorhome a 1999 bounders 36s and drove it back home to ohio from Texas and i was trying to wash the bugs off of the front. The bugs with yellow gutz washed off justfine but the bugs with red gutz well i can't get the red off especially the white areas any advice?

Lawrence Binsky

[email protected]

Lawrence,

Welcome to the RV Forum!

We just got back to Eastern Canada from Central Florida and had bug splatters on the coach as well.  It seems the key is to wash them off at the end of each day's travel before they bake on,

However, there are bug and tar removers sold in auto supply stores that are petroleum based,  but I have been successful in first applying lots of water to re hydrate the splatters then applying some good quality car wash soap straight on a wah mitt.  By rubbing with a mitt rather than a wash brush I find I can remove all remaining bug splatters.

If there is still some left, then after washing, clean the rest with a  car polish that contains a mild abrasive.  I like Meguire's for everything from the car, to the motorhome to shiny stuff around the house  :)

Let us know how you make out.

Sorry, can't help but couldn't resist...
A friend sent an email about Quantas Airlines. Evidentally, the pilots fill out a 'gripe' list after each flight. One such entry was "Dead bugs on windshield". Response from mechanic was "Sorry; live bugs on backorder". ;D ;D ;D

I put on a good coat of paste wax on my front before heading out to bug country. And rewax often after I clean them off at stops.

I go out of midwest every year or so and have learned  not to worry about them. Just leave them ride along and wait for the next big rain to get most of them off.

I also occasionally use one of the big rig truck washes and that gets them off!

I use mineral spirits to take off the old dried bugs, followed by soap and water. You can use one of those little plastic dish scrubbies if needed. After cleaning I apply ProtectAll to the entire front of the coach, including the grill. This seems to keep the bugs from sticking as badly.

Woody

Lawrence

Welcome to our friendly forum.  I have used DriWash 'n Guard on our coach for years and alway do the front with it again before we start to travel and have never had any problem getting the bugs off.  When we are traveling for several weeks at a time I may not clean the front except for the windshield (so I can see while driving :) and have never had a problem.  A couple of years ago we did get a mask for the lower part which was prevent stone chips but found the mask to be very easy to clean the bugs off without applying anything.  When we are traveling in the southeast and it is lovebug season I do clean them off every day that we travel since their juices will eat through the paint.  Maybe it is because they fly in pairs attached to each other :) :) :).

Lawrence'

I also use Dri Wash n' Guard on our coach and never have any difficulty in removing the bug collection.  I will generally clean the windshield at the end of the day if the bugs warrant it.  I normally clean the rest off the fron when we arrive at our destination.  All I have ever used on this coach is Dri-Wash. 

Take a look at Bug Magic (www.bugmagic.com). It also removes black streaks. Follow the directions and do not apply on hot surfaces.

binskyx5 said:
i just purchased my first motorhome a 1999 bounders 36s and drove it back home to ohio from Texas and i was trying to wash the bugs off of the front. The bugs with yellow gutz washed off justfine but the bugs with red gutz well i can't get the red off especially the white areas any advice?

Lawrence Binsky

[email protected]

Hi Lawrence,

I use Korkay which is a black streak remover. Takes bugs off very quickly. I spray the area and let sit for a minute, then wipe off. You will have to replace any wax/treatment you have done but it really removes almost anything from the surface.

Back
Top Bottom