US 62 - Carlsbad, NM to Guadalupe Mt N.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BadMed

We are planning a trip which will take us to Carlsbad, NM and then southwest to Guadalupe Mountains N.P. via US 62.  My Good Sam RV Road Atlas shows that US 62 from Carlsbad to the Texas border is not a RV friendly route.  Can anyone confirm or repute that this section of US 62 is/is not RV friendly?  We have a 38' 5th wheel, 13'-3" high.

A couple of years ago we drove from El Paso to Carlsbad on Hwy 62 with our 38' motorhome with a car on a tow dolly, but it wasnt any worse that a lot of other driving we have done in the Southwest.  I am not sure why they would say it is not an RV friendly route.

YMMV

Paul

Drove that route years ago with a 36ft MH towing a jeep. No issues.

GS is probaly using routes designated under STAA (passed1982). It refers to road specifications for large trucks, but many other road are just as good and many that do not meet STAA specs are just fine (maybe narrower lanes and no paved shoulder). Heck even some roads that have the designation don't actually meet the specs, but the state making the  designation "should" have plans to build it to specs in the future.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I should have no problems with driving US 62 from Carlsbad to El Paso.  I will post after we do that leg of our trip to let everyone how it is.

Back
Top Bottom