Engine won't turn off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex

I have a 1995 Vectra and when I turn the ignition key off the engine keeps running.  Usually takes about a 1/2 hour and will shut off.  Thought maybe a relay.  Anyone else experience this or have any idea what might be causing this?

What happened just prior to this first occuring? Did you make any repairs? Add anything? I've seen this when adding a tow car behind and no diode between the toad and the MH. Tell us what you have...... Diesel engine? Type of chassis? Engine size?

Ken

I also had the issue of not having a diode in the charge line to my Stacker Trailer.  The batteries in the Stacker Trailer kept the line energized and prevented the diesel from shutting off.

Easiest way to diagnose this problem is to simply pull the plug to the toad or trailer if the engine does not shut down.  It the engine then quits you have found your problem.

I had this issue in a 92 7.3 diesel. It was the ignition cylinder. Wouldn't start back up either though.

Alex said:
I have a 1995 Vectra and when I turn the ignition key off the engine keeps running.  Usually takes about a 1/2 hour and will shut off.  Thought maybe a relay.  Anyone else experience this or have any idea what might be causing this?
Sounds like your motorhome is trying to tell you that it wants to go camping. ;D

The fuel shut-off solenoid is powered one way, when you start the engine the
plunger in the solenoid pulls in opening the fuel flow.  The return is facilitated through
spring tension.  The plunger in the solenoid could be sticking, slowing it's release,
or a return spring could have broken.  If you can find the solenoid try operating
it by hand, being careful not to get body parts or clothing near any moving components. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom