Replacing day/night shades with regular horizontal blinds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gandwadventure

The day night shades in my 2004 Adventurer keeps crinkling up and the strings break about every 56 months. I want to change to either metal or vinyl blinds.
What do you think about this change?  any thoughts from someone that has changed to these?
Thanks in advance

Having owned an RV with horizontal blinds one I have this advice for you:

Don't. 

They gather dust faster than a teenager can spend your money.  If you put them in a motorhome the noise they make going down the road will drive you crazy.  If you get metal ones they will get bent, if you get plastic they will melt and droop.  They also have strings that will eventually break and they are much more difficult to re-string.

If your strings are breaking that often you probably need to replace all the grommets when you do the strings.  When you adjust them get the strings just tight enough that the blind does not fall down on it's own.  I get parts from www.dirtyblindman.com

Be careful when moving the shade up or down to pull it evenly.  If it gets tweaked one way or the other it puts much more stress on the strings and may push the end caps off - which leads to torn fabrics.  I installed small sheet metal screws through the bar and into the end cap and never had another one come off.

We replaced the day/night shades in the bedroom with metal mini-blinds years ago and they have been no problem.  They don't make any noise that we can hear and are much easier to clean than the cloth shades.  We don't use the shades in the galley and living area so didn't bother to change them.

We MUCH prefer metal blinds and have had them in all five motorhomes since 1972.  We had one string break and we replaced the blind during a trip at a regular blinds place.  We like them because they allow air flow when the windows are open while still allowing light inside.  Also you can adjust them according to the sun.  We happen to have cloth valences so that helps prevent rattles but we don't hear the ones in the bedroom at all.  Before driving I usually put up the blinds in the front so any noise is eliminated.  Once in a while I forget and they are not noisy.  By the way, if you decide to get blinds make sure you get metal ones.  When we had that one replaced the lady told us that you can see shadows behind the plastic ones at night so she said to always get metal for privacy.  With reasonable care I see no reason why you can't have metal blinds if that's what you want.  For cleaning I have a static cling "brush" that I wipe over them and maybe once a year I use a damp cloth on them for a more thorough cleaning.  I'd rather have that than cloth that absorbs dust particles, especially in some of the dusty places we travel.  Also, occasionally I see splashed food on the ones at the kitchen sink.  I just wipe it off with a wet cloth so they actually stay cleaner than cloth would.

ArdraF

I agree. I replaced my day/night shades in my previous motorhome. They looked great, but DW always complained when we were driving about the noise.

If I replace my current day/night shades I will go with the roller shades.

I was beginning to think I was the Lone Ranger in finding the noise of the blinds clunking with evey tilt & turn irritating. ;D

8Muddypaws, I took your advise and  went to the website and read all info. I went out this  morning and restrung the shades at the dinning table. Had no problem. I did learn a trick to hold the springs in the middle of top track. I drilled two pin holes in the top rail at the spring location and use a small  "string wire" to tie them in place.  Worked like a charm and didn't need to worry about them shifting from center.
Thanks for all help and advice. Now ready to load up and go to Pigeon  Forge Tennessee for two weeks and take in the arts and craft shows.

Back
Top Bottom