Data usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Anyone know of a program that will track internet data usage, specifically what program is using and how much.

I am running Windows 7 on an HP 2000 laptop

I seem to be using much more data than expected, I have already made sure that all programs that have access is logged off.

I also have an Iphone5 and will be looking for an app to do the same on the phone.

Thanks, Jerry

Yes, got everything protected plus I am at the S&B in the middle of the woods, 1/4 mile from any other house.

First, isolate the usage to one device, phone or computer.  Turn off all but one device that accesses the internet and see what the usage is for that one.  I would start by turning off the iPhone overnight and checking the overnight data usage in the morning.

if you have automatic update enabled on the iPhone 5s you may have downloaded iOS 8.01 AND 8.02 (both huge!) in the last week, plus all the app updates to go along with it.  Even if you haven't updated they may have been downloaded.  (My advice is to not install either for a month or so.  Too many bugs!)

I suggest simply turning auto update, and automatic downloads off.

Www.majorgeeks.com has several bandwidth measuring tools. Go there and enter 'bandwidth measurement' in the site search field.  I haven't used any of them so I won't make any recommendations.  I've never gotten a bad program from the major.

Wizard46 said:
Anyone know of a program that will track internet data usage, specifically what program is using and how much.

I stopped running Windows a few years ago so i can't look around on a machine, but I think Windows has something built in that keeps track of data usage.

If you're referring to the resource monitor it only monitors realtime usage.  No history is saved beyond the scale of the graph.

Wizard46 said:

I seem to be using much more data than expected, I have already made sure that all programs that have access is logged off.

I also have an Iphone5 and will be looking for an app to do the same on the phone.

Thanks, Jerry

Are you on facebook a lot? Even if you are not on it... do you click out of it or do you leave it in the background?  Those video's that run automatically might be your problem.  There's a way to turn them off in your settings.  What about others on your plan?  check how they use facebook and what their settings are.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-off-facebooks-auto-playing-video-ads-1563822464

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom