Oldest bars in every state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Margi, if all the bars were your goal, maybe it's just as well the keys are tucked away!?!  :D ;) :eek: ;D

ArdraF

I checked the link and the headline photo is the White Horse, Newport, RI and I have been to it.  Really cool place.  Going along a bit further, an lo and behold, Griswald Inn in Essex, CT, right within walking distance from the Yacht Club, visited there back in our sailing days.  Sure not going to get many of these, but 2, woohoo!

Finally go to the end and Montanas oldest bar is not that far away, and UT is the town where Jolene and I met, never knew of the place, but now have to find it.  I might get to 4.

Next time we visit Don & Peg we may have to search out #5 in Prescott.

No, no, no, not all the bars, just one in each state.  ;D  Funny, because I always wondered why anyone would go to a bar and pay an enormous price for a drink when they could make the same at home much cheaper.  A drink at the oldest bar in each state would have been fun.  ;D ;D ;D  Any excuse to absorb history is a good one.  (Yes, my tongue is in my cheek!)

Margi

Gary RV Roamer said:
And I haven't been in a single one of them! How did that ever happen! I gotta get busy!!!!

Have to admit, I thought of you when I posted that link, Gary.  You really know how to appreciate a good, historical bar.  ;D

I always wondered why anyone would go to a bar and pay an enormous price for a drink when they could make the same at home much cheaper.

For the same reason we don't camp in our driveways and instead spend a fortune to drive elsewhere and pay an enormous fee to stay in some woebegone field with [mayb]e some electric and water.  8)

Been to several of them - White Horse Tavern, Newport Rhode Island in my sailing days, Palace Saloon in Fernandina Beach, Florida, The Shooting Star in Utah, Bale of Hay Saloon in Virginia City, Montana, although I have to argue the selection for Wyoming as the Bar in Meeteetse, WY claims to be the oldest and is very interesting and serves great food. But by date the article is correct, but the Cowboy Bar is by far one of the most interesting I have ever been in.

I see there are a few more I need to find and frequent at least once...

This was an interesting thread and gave me some new places to find!

Jim

Gary RV Roamer said:
For the same reason we don't camp in our driveways and instead spend a fortune to drive elsewhere and pay an enormous fee to stay in some woebegone field with [mayb]e some electric and water.  8)

Yes!  I knew I could count on you for the plausible explanation.  ;D  Oh, how I miss those travelin' days!  ;D

I used to go to the White Horse Salloon in Spirit Lake, Idaho back when the drinking age was 19 in Idaho and 21 in Washington. They served peanuts in the shells in buckets, you threw the shells on the floor. And drank more beer.  :D

Caryl

Here at Disney World's Epcot there is a fad called "drinking around the world". There are 11 different countries with pavilions scattered around a lake. The goal is to stop at each "country" and have a beer. If you start with Canada and go counterclockwise around the lake you end in Mexico. Then it is a short walk to the Mission: Space ride. I would love to see someone drink all around the world and then go on the Mission: Space - Orange which is located right next to Mexico. ;D

I would love to see someone drink all around the world and then go on the Mission: Space - Orange which is located right next to Mexico.

And I would NOT want to be the person inside the capsule with that someone!

During my days in the United States Navy I visited dozens of countries, and hundreds of bars. The language may change but the inside of a bar never changes.

One thing about haveing just 1 or two drinks in the oldest pub in every state..... You will neer get to drunk less you are like 90 pounds soaking wet as the drinks will be spaced far enough apart.

SeilerBird said:
Here at Disney World's Epcot there is a fad called "drinking around the world". There are 11 different countries with pavilions scattered around a lake. The goal is to stop at each "country" and have a beer. If you start with Canada and go counterclockwise around the lake you end in Mexico. Then it is a short walk to the Mission: Space ride. I would love to see someone drink all around the world and then go on the Mission: Space - Orange which is located right next to Mexico. ;D

On one occasion we "wheeled" our neighbor past Mexico and out of Epcot ....passed out but behaving his self, it was the wine and food festival, we managed to go thru Australia's wine sampling 3 times.

The Wayside Inn and Tavern in Sudbury MA claims to be the oldest operating tavern in the country. It was built in 1707 and became a tavern in 1716.  I see it didn't make the list.  No dollar Beers, but you can have a bite and a drink in a room built in 1707.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom