end of camper sags a little

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arch7

its the camper in my profile picture. The 2-3' or so that it hangs off is sagging just a little. I don't see it tearing off anytime soon but I'd like to reinforce it. Was going to sister some new 2x lumber to the existing longitudinal floor joists. Has anyone had an issue like this?

We had an 11 1/2 tc for a few years with a similar issue. Part of the issue seemed to us to be the fact that both the bath and the generator were "hanging out" beyond the truck bed -- not a whole lot of support. Adding to the woes was a severely water damaged roof that chewed into the entire support structure of the unit. Perhaps without the water damage the engineering would have been sufficient to provide the needed support . . .

I rebuilt the roof, replaced a lot of lumber in the process, but of course, there was no way of getting rid of the sag. Never tried adding additional support from under the bed, however whenever the camper was on the truck and parked for use, I'd run out the rear lift jacks to give a bit more support -- and leveling for occupancy! Eventually sold the rig -- got too hard for our old bones to crawl in and out of the bed.

Sorry, missed your original posting, let us know if you tried this and what the results were.

We are looking at truck campers to downsize from our 5th wheel. If we get one that overhangs like that I thought I would get a hitch extension then weld a cross member under the overhang so the overhang would just sit on the cross member.  Glue a rubber piece on the cross member to protect the camper. Just a thought.

Is the underside of the camper supposed to be the same level as the pick up bed? I've seen people get a few more years by put 2X planks in the bed extending beyond the bed to support the rear of the camper.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. The cargo hitch extender would have worked well. Planks would have been a good idea too. Now that I think of it, why extend the planks another couple feet past the end of the camper for a little platform? Keep them attached to the camper maybe.

Anyway, I sold the TC. Bought it for $540, sold it for $850. I wouldn't have it any other way. campers, vehicles, anything. Buy cheap used, use it a bunch and sell for more than what I pay for it.  :D

Back
Top Bottom