Recommendations for 20-inch Ram 1500 tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abi2001

I browsed the forum and couldn't find anything this specific, but if I missed it, please redirect me.

We have a 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie with 20-inch tires (275/65/20 are the current/stock tires). We have a little tread left but we're taking a mountain trip at the end of October (across 5 states) towing our 29-ft 7,000# TT, so we'd like to go ahead and get new tires, especially since we run the risk of encountering black ice.

What would you recommend for 20-inch tires? Or, at the very least, what tires/brand would you suggest we stay away from?

A little more background: the truck is my hubby's primary mode of transportation to/from work during the week, but my car is what we use on the weekends unless we're camping; then we're using the truck as our TV/mode of transport. We'd like tires that are all-terrain that are comfortable/quiet on the road but deflects water well to avoid hydroplaning and slippage, especially when towing and/or off-road.

By the way, I'm posting this question here because we need something reliable for towing and I wasn't sure if there was another board I should post this under.

Thank you so much in advance!

Are you sure that's the right size. You said 275-65-20. That's a 34 inch tire and doesn't come stock on I/2 ton trucks. Think they come with 275-60-20, which is a 33 inch tire. Whatever size it is, you get what you pay for. I just put Michelins on my Ford F 150. Very quiet, very good, dependable tire. My Ford came with 275-55-20 and I replaced with 275-60-20

No, you're right. That's a typo. I'm reading my husband's notes on his tire-shopping scratch page and he has 275/65/20 on here for some reason. The tires he currently has are 275/60/20 stock (Goodyear Wrangler). However, the shop we go to explained to him that the "20" indicates the tire size is 20-inch. Perhaps he means the rim?

Which Michelin did you go with? I'm assuming LTX A/T 2. He isn't considering Michelin, but I have Michelin on my car and I really like Michelin/BFGoodrich tires. He's actually considering GoodYear and Toyo, but I'm not convinced.

Thank you!

I put LTX/MS  The 20 inch refers to the wheel size  The first # ( 275 )indicates the width, the middle ( 55,60, or 65 )# is the height. There are numerous tire size calculators available if you google it.

GCSuper said:
I put LTX/MS  The 20 inch refers to the wheel size  The first # ( 275 )indicates the width, the middle ( 55,60, or 65 )# is the height.

Not quite.  The first number is the nominal section width of the tire in mm, measured at the widest point on the sidewalls.  The second number is the "aspect ratio" of the sidewall height as a percentage of the total width of the tire.

See this article for more information.

Thank you, Ned  8)

GCSuper, is there any particular reason you went with the MS rather than AT2?

I've had good results researching tires here.  Good source of information and reviews
http://www.tirerack.com/
I should qualify that I have not bought from them yet..... but I have read good reviews of that experience too.

I bought B F Goodrich for my last F-150 and then realized my mistake. The Michelins, and most others would run 44psi, but the BFGs would only go 36 psi, and didn't carry the weight as well... just something to think about when shopping if you tow.

I recently installed 20"  BFGoodrich Rugged Terain on our Ram 1500.  I have been quit satisfied with them but only have about 7000 miles on them so far.  They are a not nosy and seem to do well in muddy off road driving.  I carry 42 psi in them.  They have a 60000 mile gaurantee I believe.

Lowell said:
I recently installed 20"  BFGoodrich Rugged Terain on our Ram 1500.  I have been quit satisfied with them but only have about 7000 miles on them so far.  They are a not nosy and seem to do well in muddy off road driving.  I carry 42 psi in them.  They have a 60000 mile gaurantee I believe.
Did your gas mileage change with the Goodrich's? I have read that some of the 20" replacement tires will hurt gas mileage. I'm asking because I am getting ready to buy a set for my Ram 1500 also.

kdbgoat said:
Did your gas mileage change with the Goodrich's? I have read that some of the 20" replacement tires will hurt gas mileage. I'm asking because I am getting ready to buy a set for my Ram 1500 also.

I haven't noticed any change in gas milage.  This is the third set of tires I have had on my truck.  I replaced the original OEM Goodyears tires at 20,000 miles due to two tire failures.  The original OEM tires were easily punctured on Forest Roads.  I put BFGoodrich Long milers on second but only got a bit over 35000 miles on them before they were worn down and replaced under the wear warranty by Discount Tires.  I like the the look of the the rugged terrain tires and they seem to do the better in muddy or slippery road conditions.  I suspect that Michelin may be the better tire for milage but they are more expensive and didn't have the tread pattern I wanted for off road.

Lowell and Chip- thanx for the replies. Mine is 2wd, so I really don't want too aggressive of a tread. It's my DW's daily driver. I'll look into both and see what I (she) like(s). ;). The Goodyear SRA's have pitiful treadlife, so I'm not going back with them. Doesn't look like the Long Milers are much better.

Back
Top Bottom