HDMI over Ethernet-MSW Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJW

I have a 40" TV in my 2013 Itasca 33C that will not work consistently (Flicks on and off) when using my 1000W Xantrax MSW Inverter. The TV outside works fine but it is connected to my satellite receiver with composite cables. The TV inside is connected to the receiver by HDMI over ethernet. I wonder if the HDMI Ethernet is sensitive to non Sine wave AC. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for the suggestion John, should have thought of it myself! Yes I can tune "Air" signals, and I went a little further. I strung a long 3 plug component to the TV from the receiver and no problem. Seems it is not the TV but the HDMI over Ethernet. Looks like maybe a pure Sine Inverter is in the near future. Do you know whether I can switch out the MSW 1000 W Xantrex for the TSW 1000 W Prosine and still keep all the interior cables and control Panel?

I don't think you have HDMI over Ethernet. Just HDMI on Cat 5 cable. Does it work on shore power and generator?

Do you have the 4x4 Matrix switch in your Coach? If so they seem to be problematic. I have one in my new Adventurer and have issues with it. My exterior and bedroom TV will cut out at times when watching a DVD....OTA signal is fine. The lounge TV is directly wired to the switch via hdmi...not the cat 5 cable as the others TV's are.

Jim

The next time you are on power or on the generator, unplug the system from the inverter and run it from a normally powered outlet. That should prove one way or the other if the MSW inverter is the root of the problem you are experiencing.

Since the problem only occurs when the system is powered via the inverter, I think he can rule out things like faulty switches and connectors. But these days there are often powered components in the delivery path, e.g. a video switch or the HDMI/Cat 5 signal converter , and one of those may be incompatible with MSW.

Just to be clear, when you say it "flicks on and off", do you mean it loses the signal altogether? Or does it perhaps pixelate into an incomplete picture?  Or does it totally lose power (the set actually flicks off)?

As for swapping Xantrex inverters, the answer can only be maybe.  Not all inverter models are interchangeable because their remote switches/display may differ. Which Xantrex model do you now have, and does it power only the entertainment system or does it handle more than that?

We do need to know what exactly is "flicks on and off". The problem probably isn't the inverter.  A friend with a Tiffin had a similar problem with a Panasonic TV. The picture would go on and off intermittently. He had four TVs in the motor home and it only happened with the one.

AJW said:
..Do you know whether I can switch out the MSW 1000 W Xantrex for the TSW 1000 W Prosine and still keep all the interior cables and control Panel?
You'll have to do a little research, maybe just a phone call to Xantrex tech support will provide an answer.  Regardless of the MSW inverter being the cause of the TV signal issues, I would replace it in any case.  A pure sine wave inverter will cause you much less grief with your electronics in the long term.  One of the very first upgrades I did to our then brand new Horizon was to replace the Dimensions inverter for a Xantrex RS2000 pure sine wave inverter.

I did have to replace the Dimensions control panel and run cat5 cable but the install hassle was well worth the effort, time and money.

Thanks for all the replies and advise.

The system works perfectly on Generator and shore power. I do not have a Matrix in this unit, there are two baluns connected by a cat 6 cable and they service only the lounge TV. While on the Inverter the TV remains on but there is a momentary loss of signal from the satellite receiver, about 1-2 secs then the picture reappears. I had quite a bit of trouble with the lounge TV when I first took possession of the unit. I discovered that the baluns were reversed, (transmitter at TV, receiver in the overhead).

I phoned Xantrex and I can switch out the MSW 1000 W Xantrex for the TSW 1000 W Prosine and still keep all the interior cables but the panel is different but it should not be difficult to do.

My conclusion is that the HDMI transceivers are not happy with MSW inverters and I think I will exchange it out.

Thanks again.

Alex

AJW said:
I phoned Xantrex and I can switch out the MSW 1000 W Xantrex for the TSW 1000 W Prosine and still keep all the interior cables but the panel is different but it should not be difficult to do.

My conclusion is that the HDMI transceivers are not happy with MSW inverters and I think I will exchange it out.
That will be an excellent move!

It is strange that the MSW inverter is causing an issue if you have baluns, they are passive devices. But, if it works on shore power and generator, it definitely points to the inverter. It might be that the Cat 6 cables are running parallel to some power cables powered by the MSW inverter. You should be able to buy a pure sine wave Xantrex right, sell the MSW inverter on Craig's List and come out pretty good.

AJW said:
Thanks for the suggestion John, should have thought of it myself! Yes I can tune "Air" signals, and I went a little further. I strung a long 3 plug component to the TV from the receiver and no problem. Seems it is not the TV but the HDMI over Ethernet. Looks like maybe a pure Sine Inverter is in the near future. Do you know whether I can switch out the MSW 1000 W Xantrex for the TSW 1000 W Prosine and still keep all the interior cables and control Panel?
Substituting component for HDMI may not rule out the TV.  There is HDMI specific circuitry within the TV.  You may have a simple fractured solder joint or maybe something more serious in the TV.  If you have a DVD player with HDMI, try playing a DVD plugged into the HDMI port you currently are using for your satellite receiver.

The 3 wire RCA cable is composite video with stereo audio. A component cable has 5 RCA wires, 3 for video and 2 for stereo audio. Again if it works on shore power and generator it points to the MSW inverter and not the HDMI port. Try a long HDMI cable to rule out the baluns.

The HDMI to Cat5 4x4 matrix switch is a seriously flawed unit.  Please reference reviews for the model 8151 at Monoprice.com.  This unit has an almost perfect failure rate.  It's mounting location in my 2014 Adventurer 37F in the forward overhead compartment which has zero ventilation and is poorly insulated, condemns it to certain and rapid failure.  It is built to no standard, it is poorly designed, it is a one-of-kind, it has exceptionally poor documentation, and its operation is a mystery. I have had three units in 4 months.  Currently, I have a 50', a 15', and a 25' HDMI cable to each of my TV's snaked all over my coach which I manually connect to either my DirectTV or my A/V receiver.  I am contemplating the solution to this problem.  Monoprice has a unit that is HDBaseT compliant, gets good reviews, appears capable of doing the job, only uses one Cat5 cable but costs $1500.

In my opinion, this part of the Winnebago A/V system was poorly designed and even more poorly executed.  If the company had thought to supply HDMI or RG cables in the wiring harness along with the Cat5 cables, I would not be having this problem.  As it is, I have three Cat5 cables and no reasonably priced alternative to the no-name junk switching unit.

seb said:
The HDMI to Cat5 4x4 matrix switch is a seriously flawed unit.  Please reference reviews for the model 8151 at Monoprice.com.  This unit has an almost perfect failure rate.  It's mounting location in my 2014 Adventurer 37F in the forward overhead compartment which has zero ventilation and is poorly insulated, condemns it to certain and rapid failure.  It is built to no standard, it is poorly designed, it is a one-of-kind, it has exceptionally poor documentation, and its operation is a mystery. I have had three units in 4 months.  Currently, I have a 50', a 15', and a 25' HDMI cable to each of my TV's snaked all over my coach which I manually connect to either my DirectTV or my A/V receiver.  I am contemplating the solution to this problem.  Monoprice has a unit that is HDBaseT compliant, gets good reviews, appears capable of doing the job, only uses one Cat5 cable but costs $1500.

In my opinion, this part of the Winnebago A/V system was poorly designed and even more poorly executed.  If the company had thought to supply HDMI or RG cables in the wiring harness along with the Cat5 cables, I would not be having this problem.  As it is, I have three Cat5 cables and no reasonably priced alternative to the no-name junk switching unit.

There are better solutions...they just cost a heck of a lot more money!!

Back
Top Bottom