EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Direcway  (Read 11986 times)

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
Re: Direcway
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2005, 11:08:47 PM »
DW's competitor is not quite so bold requiring you first pass an on line certifcation program so you are thus "certifed" when you do it.

Are you saying it is a bold move by DW, or do mean it was a dumb move by a DW operator that wasn't aware of DW's policy? How often are you saying that it happens and I'm curious as to your info source? Having lurked on quite a few forums over the past 3 years, I have seen tons of bogus stuff coming down (especially fear stuff by motosat dealers, installers, and some users) as to what DW policy was - and what they were going to do or not do concerning other than Datastorm mounts.
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 06:21:14 AM »
Bob,

As you recall, you and I attended that seminar in QZ, and I came away with the impression that us 'other-than Motosat' users were pretty safe - at least for the immediate future, and can't see Hughes/D'Way shooting themselves in the foot. As to the commissioning aspect, it's nothing more than registering a modem serial number with an active account and can be done before or after you're actually on a bird. Having heard (no names here) commission a new system, all he did was call and identify himself as an installer; no installer i.d. or other ident. required, and the process was done in a matter of a minute or two. As Ned said, this is rocket science, but certainly not beyond the capabilities of an average, diligent person. If you can't aim it correctly, you won't get on - plain and simple. 
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

blueblood

• ---
    • Discovery
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2005, 07:07:42 AM »
DW's competitor is not quite so bold requiring you first pass an on line certifcation program so you are thus "certifed" when you do it.

Are you saying it is a bold move by DW, or do mean it was a dumb move by a DW operator that wasn't aware of DW's policy? How often are you saying that it happens and I'm curious as to your info source? Having lurked on quite a few forums over the past 3 years, I have seen tons of bogus stuff coming down (especially fear stuff by motosat dealers, installers, and some users) as to what DW policy was - and what they were going to do or not do concerning other than Datastorm mounts.

I really don't understand Hughes overall policy. They have stated several times that they were going to do this or that to enable or legitimize the use of tripods or roof mounted manual units but it never happens. They did tell us in one class in 2002 about plans to streamline the commissioning process so it could be controlled by them without human intervention thus lowering their costs. The ACP was mentioned as one leg of that strategy. In the meantime, their competitor comes out with an on-line process and takes away some business. I have friends who have switched for one reason or another including this one. It seems to me that Hughes is more focused on remote international areas and business applications. From all the units being sold on eBaY  and elsewhere, as well as the dramatic drop in offering prices, its clear that DSL/cable is biting them hard ( and the new 6000 plays a part as well). Another indication would seem to be GC's retrenchment closing both there east coast warehouse about 2 years ago and consolidating in SLC then closing the SLC operation more recently. They have all ways sold business plans but things must have slowed dramatically for them as well. Therefore, I think, but don't know, its concious neglect for the purpose of increasing usage but without raising the ire of FCC.

I do know that the operators do give out bad information. I just decommissioned a set of modems about a month ago and the operator told me at end of process unsolicited that if I was going to sell the modems I would need to send a letter to DW saying that I had sold them and the name of the new buyer so they could be re-commissioned.   I have never had that happen before on a phone call; I don't argue with these people I just go on and do it the old fashion way.
Leo

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2005, 11:54:34 AM »
John,

Not to be argumentative, but the RaySat has lots of moving parts - under the dome. Also, the $3400+ price doesn't include a receiver, modem, or installation. Of course, you'll also have to contract separately for TV/Internet access thru a provider. They also state that for both TV and Internet to operate simultaneously, both birds must be very close together, otherwise you have to make a choice between one or the other. No bird-on-a-wire here.

Dome, what dome, the ray sat is an electronically steerable array, it's a flat slab about 5: thick (optional 2" thick for automotive use) no moving parts at all in the slab

And as for the rest of it.. Too true  Way too true.

And for internet and TV both on any system it must be either same bird or very close together,  (think about it) or 2 antennas.

I do plan on a dual antenna system.... I basically do not need internet in motion (though it woudl be nice) I can get by with TV only in motion and use a 2nd antenna for TV when parked.  A seperate TV receiver, complete with contract, will, of course, come with antenna #2    Note, this is on a "As needed" basis.

Switching a receiver between 2 (or more) antennas is child's play for someone who's e-mail accress is @arrl.net (I'm wa8yxm)

And many of the campsites I park at a roof mounted receiver will not be much good.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
John,
Sorry but you're wrong! The array MOVES inside that slab at approx 30 degrees/second. There are pictures of it available raht heay: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1749007,00.asp If does ain't motors to rotate it and slides to control the elevation, I'll eat YOUR hat; mines too dirty ;D ;D
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »
I will just let Ron worry about all of this when I get out to Montana.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2005, 06:01:10 PM »

As you recall, you and I attended that seminar in QZ, . . .

Hmmmm. Karl, either I'm getting too old or you're eating to much sharp cheddar <g>. I don't recall attendnig any seminars in QZ.

Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2005, 05:26:14 PM »
John:

WA8YXM DE W3PY  !!
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 07:37:50 PM »
John,
Sorry but you're wrong! The array MOVES inside that slab at approx 30 degrees/second. There are pictures of it available raht heay: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1749007,00.asp If does ain't motors to rotate it and slides to control the elevation, I'll eat YOUR hat; mines too dirty ;D ;D

Humm,,, Guess you may be right, (Never saw one with the top off before)  The main advantage to this antenna though is that it is windproof, and a much lower profile than say King Dome or Moto-Sat.  I suspect it has higher "Effective area" too but I'd have to see the specs and spend time with them there.

I will be months before I write checks in any case.  I actually like that the ray-sat does not come with a TV receiver, that way you can choose your service.

And folks, the requirement that TRANSMISSION (internet) antennas be installed by a certified installer is a FEDERAL requirement, Yes the companies are trying to get permission for us users to do it, but it's the FCC that has to be convinced.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2005, 08:12:25 PM »
Bob,

Could be a little of both. Don't you remember us having breakfast in a converted bus and discussing satellite Internet? Believe Don Bradner was there too. Right by the Internet Cafe?????

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2005, 10:05:52 PM »
Karl,

That was me at the bus, not Bob.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
John:

And folks, the requirement that TRANSMISSION (internet) antennas be installed by a certified installer is a FEDERAL requirement, Yes the companies are trying to get permission for us users to do it, but it's the FCC that has to be convinced.

This thread weaves around a bit - and a lurker may get a bit confused  <g>, but I don't believe anyone has said that the source of all the alleged requirements that Hughes passed on to Datastorm did not originate with the FCC. The whole thing started when Motosat asked Hughes if it was OK to build the auto unit - and Hughes then went to the FCC - and the FCC said, sure, it you do, 1,2,3, etc. as listed here (I posted #5, and Blueblood some info on the others). Of course, no one even knows if any of that really happened based on how many MotoSat dealers are now selling Tripod mounts as well.

Most of us have been fairly convinced that there are no FCC regulations as such here, but rather just some alleged stipulations the FCC  laid on Hughes before Hughes could issue a license to MotoSat to market the auto dish. And no one really know that for sure. There are a number of rules in the FCC regs about dishes that transmit - but obviously none of them were written specifically about the 2-Way Internet dish that is the subject of this thread.
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

blueblood

• ---
    • Discovery
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2005, 07:30:51 AM »
John:

This thread weaves around a bit - and a lurker may get a bit confused  <g>, but I don't believe anyone has said that the source of all the alleged requirements that Hughes passed on to Datastorm did not originate with the FCC. The whole thing started when Motosat asked Hughes if it was OK to build the auto unit - and Hughes then went to the FCC - and the FCC said, sure, it you do, 1,2,3, etc. as listed here (I posted #5, and Blueblood some info on the others). Of course, no one even knows if any of that really happened based on how many MotoSat dealers are now selling Tripod mounts as well.

Most of us have been fairly convinced that there are no FCC regulations as such here, but rather just some alleged stipulations the FCC  laid on Hughes before Hughes could issue a license to MotoSat to market the auto dish. And no one really know that for sure. There are a number of rules in the FCC regs about dishes that transmit - but obviously none of them were written specifically about the 2-Way Internet dish that is the subject of this thread.

When this stuff all started several years ago, I placed a call to FCC Technical group and discussed with an engineer the reasons for the requirements as promulgated by Hughes. I was trying to determine if they had laid these down, if they were accurate as stated and most importantly was trying to see if I could find some hole that tripod users could crawl through. He reaffirimed the requirements, not specifically as written but in terms of content, and was very adamant about the need for these because of safety. I was quite surpised that he seemed to be willing to take the time to talk to me in some detail about the whole technology. I had assumed it would be nearly impossible for an individual to connect with one of the engineers. However, at the end of the day I couldn't get him to budge on anything.
Leo

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2005, 07:36:36 AM »
Ned,

Oh yeah!!  CRS strikes again.

Sorry Bob!

Hosted by Over The Network