Jeep Dealership Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

So, I decided that I would add a cup of stress to my day and went over to one of our local Jeep dealerships to look at the 2014 Rubicon Unlimited in White. The dealership closest to my home had what I was looking for. After a few hours of negotiations I got them down to the True Car Price, and got them up to Kelley Blue Book (Good Condition) on my trade in. I got the deal I asked for and I walked out of the dealership to give myself the evening to decide if I really want to trade in my 2008 FJ Cruiser for a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited.

Congratulations. I'll look forward to seeing it in Moab next month.  :)

Oscar Mike said:
I got the deal I asked for and I walked out of the dealership to give myself the evening to decide if I really want to trade in my 2008 FJ Cruiser for a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited.
Of course ya do!!  ;D

Hello Oscar, I looked at a jeep wrangler and decided against it without looking at the Schwarzenegger model that you looked at. My wife gets car sick easily and the suspension, as expected, was somewhat rough. I think the new jeep cherokee 4x4, with the good enough for me off-road capability, is gonna work better for us. I suspect I will be watching you climbing the rocks some day while I break out the BBQ.

Can't decide between a new or late model Allegro Red 33aa, or one of the longer Houston type best pre-owned older diesel pushers for half the price. Probably let the wife decide since nothing but my wife seems perfect.

I realized I'm not perfect today - discovered a crack in my personal movement casing.  :)

Before you do your  trade in, see if there is a CarMax near you.  They will give you an offer for your vehicle and you have 7 days to decide whether to accept their offer or not.  It takes about 30-45 minutes for an appraiser/buyer to take your vehicle for a test drive and then come back with a written offer.  I just sold a truck to them for a little bit above KBB value with no hassles at all.  They wrote me a check on the spot for the total amount offered.  I was amazed at how quick and professional their operation was.  Cash to your Jeep dealer will sometimes get them to give you a better deal. 

Gunny69 said:
Before you do your  trade in, see if there is a CarMax near you.  They will give you an offer for your vehicle and you have 7 days to decide whether to accept their offer or not.  It takes about 30-45 minutes for an appraiser/buyer to take your vehicle for a test drive and then come back with a written offer.  I just sold a truck to them for a little bit above KBB value with no hassles at all.  They wrote me a check on the spot for the total amount offered.  I was amazed at how quick and professional their operation was.  Cash to your Jeep dealer will sometimes get them to give you a better deal.

Good idea.

I went to a different Jeep dealership today and looked at a 2015 model year. There is literally no difference between a 14 and 15 Rubicon except that Jeep offers no incentives whatsoever on the 2015, and the base price is close to $1,500.00 higher. The difference between the 2015 and the 2014 that I am looking at are,

2014 has more options including Bluetooth, remote start, upgraded navigation, and upgraded software and hardware. The only thing that the 2015 has going for it is a model year newer.

I can get the 2015 right at $43k out the door and the 2014 right now is at 44k out the door.

The dealer for the 2015 is giving me top dollar for my trade, and the 2014 dealer is giving me $1k less for my FJ.

John, have the dealer sharpen there pencils a bit more, then sign on the bottom line, and you will still have a few weeks to add some goodies before Moab. Good luck dealing. I used the Costco program, and it was pretty painless.

Becks said:
John, have the dealer sharpen there pencils a bit more,

I agree, I think there is a little meat left on the bone. We'll see.

After some lengthy discussions with Jeep people, my wife, and sons I've decided against either of the Jeeps that I have been considering. Both Jeeps had a lot of options, the 2014 more so than the 2015. But, neither had all of the options I would like to have. My wife convinced me that if I am going to spend 43k-44k on a Jeep, I should have it the way I want it,

I am going to talk to the dealership today about ordering one with the exact options I want. I don't think even by ordering that I will be able to beat the TrueCar price. Jeep Wranglers are a tough buy I am finding out. Very little give from the dealership in the way of negotiations.

Wow John, I didn't realize you were looking at new Jeeps.  So I guess by reading your are keeping your 05 TJ and just getting a second Jeep?

Will you still be modding your 05 or will you eventually sell it and mod the new one?

Mike.

The new one won't need modding! It's a Rubicon! That said, I've added a bumper & winch (not really a mod) plus a two and a half inch lift. I'm still just under $40k on my 2012.

Being able to increase the price that rapidly illustrates how well Jeep did in hitting an optimum configuration with this vehicle.

John, you should plan on the bumper so you can use brackets mounted to it to tow. Base plates reduce the approach angle and I wouldn't trust the plastic bumper. As a note, mine scales at just over 4, 600 lbs loaded and including the bumper/winch.

Ernie

zmotorsports said:
Wow John, I didn't realize you were looking at new Jeeps.  So I guess by reading your are keeping your 05 TJ and just getting a second Jeep?

Will you still be modding your 05 or will you eventually sell it and mod the new one?

Mike.

I will be keeping the TJ for now, I haven't yet decided what to do with it. It is in such good shape I hate to get rid of it, and it would make a nice garage project.

Ernie n Tara said:
The new one won't need modding! It's a Rubicon! That said, I've added a bumper & winch (not really a mod) plus a two and a half inch lift. I'm still just under $40k on my 2012.

Being able to increase the price that rapidly illustrates how well Jeep did in hitting an optimum configuration with this vehicle.

John, you should plan on the bumper so you can use brackets mounted to it to tow. Base plates reduce the approach angle and I wouldn't trust the plastic bumper. As a note, mine scales at just over 4, 600 lbs loaded and including the bumper/winch.

Ernie

That's nice to know about the weight. I'll be close to maximum at 4,600#. I have to think that Jeeps sell for a premium here in the Southwest, because I can't get close to the 40s much less under.

There are 2 way up north that you could check for price on the internet, Dave Smith in Kellogg ID and Yellowstone Country in Livingston MT.  Might give you some leverage. 

Just a thought!

I am looking at the 2015 unlimited Rubicon and was also wondering about getting the steel bumpers. Do I need them to attach my Ox tow rings? Or would the tow rings attach somewhere else? The dealer in Durango quoted a ten week order time.

It doesn't take long to realize that Rubicons are not manufactured equally. The differences in preferred packages 23J and 24R are substantial The differences in the U Connect 430N and 730N are significant. Of course just like most, the sales folks at Jeep dealerships are interested in selling you the one on the lot. Shopping for a Jeep is is like shopping for anything. Buyer Be Wary...and informed.

Jim Godward said:
There are 2 way up north that you could check for price on the internet, Dave Smith in Kellogg ID and Yellowstone Country in Livingston MT.  Might give you some leverage. 

Just a thought!

I made contact with the folks at Dave Smith...they'll be blowing my phone and email up later today.

Oscar Mike said:
I made contact with the folks at Dave Smith...they'll be blowing my phone and email up later today.

Had good luck with Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID.  I have helped my FIL find two separate trucks up there over the past several years and they have treated him well and good to deal with.  Worth the drive in my opinion.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom