DVR On The Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Blevins

Long post, and if you don't want to wade through it, you can get most of the info in the 4 points listed below and by reading an online review of the Channel Master DVR+.

I like the convenience of a DVR and I've missed it when we've traveled in our TT.  So I've been looking for a simple, portable DVR that I can use to 1) record shows at home and take with me when we travel, and 2) record and play back my favorite shows when we travel to places with available stations.

After a bunch of research I bought the Channel Master DVR+. I'll note I'm not affiliated in any way with Channel Master.  But for those of you who travel and like the benefits of DVRs, I thought this might be of interest.  Frankly (and surprisingly, at least to me) there aren't a lot of choices out there.  Most of the alternatives require a broadband internet connection.

I got my DVR+ yesterday and the setup was quick and easy.  Unlike cable, OTA broadcasts are not compressed and the picture looks great.  To my 62-year-old eyes, it's not better than my cable picture - but it's every bit as good.

It's a simple concept ? plug an antenna into the DVR+, connect via a HDMI cable to your TV and you can record and play back any OTA station available to you.  I have about 30 of them here 10 miles north of Seattle using a tabletop non-amplified antenna.

Add the optional Wi-Fi adapter and the basic program info guide becomes much better with access to the free Rovi guide.  You don't need the Wi-Fi to get a program guide ? it's just a better program guide.  You don't need a broadband connection to get that.  Even RV Park Wi-Fi should work ? though it will take longer to load the guide info.  I have read review comments of owners who said they had difficulty maintaining the Wi-Fi connection.  Since I have an iPad Air, my Plan B is to use it as a hotspot and get the guide info through my 4G/LTE data plan.  But even if for some reason I can't get the Rovi guide, the basic OTA guide will get me through.

You can get the DVR+ either with an internal 1TB drive, or get one that you connect to a USB drive.  I opted for the latter, liking the ability to easily expand my storage space.  A 1TB drive cost me $70 and will hold about 150 hours of HD TV.

You can find some fairly thorough reviews of the DVR+ with an internet search.  Here's some info specific to using it in an RV, most of which I could not find online.

1. Power Supply ? the DVR+ comes with a 120VAC cord that converts the power to 12VDC.  I bought a power plug at Radio Shack for the DVR+ and connected it to a 12V plug which I bread-boarded to a spare RV battery I had around.  The DVR+ ran fine off this. So it looks like it'll be good for boondocking. If you decide to do this, I hope you are better at soldering than I am.  Alternatively, you could simply plug the supplied cord into an inverter, but the inefficiency of inverting 12VDC to 110VAC and then converting it back to 12VDC irked me. Plus, some inverters have fans and I wanted to avoid the noise.  The DVR+, by the way, has no fan.  I do plan to use the supplied cord when I have shore power.

2. Power Consumption ? the specs for the supplied power cord say 1.46A at 12VDC. My USB drive, which plugs into the DVR+, uses about 0.5A.  Since it's being powered by the DVR+, that probably falls within the 1.46A output rating of the power supply.  But even if it didn't, it would still be pulling less than 2A.  So two hours of TV an evening will use only 3-4 AH of my battery capacity.

3. Orientation ? The DVR+ is about the size and shape of an iPad Air.  The instructions say to mount it on it's tiny little feet ? that is, horizontally.  I didn't want to take up the counter space and asked Tech Support if it could safely be run on end.  They said yes, but don't let it fall over.  I believe it has no moving parts inside, so any orientation should be fine.

4. Location ? You can get an optional IR extender from Channel Master, which means you have a lot of latitude in where you place it.  The manual, like all manuals, likes well-ventilated areas.  I did, however, read one review by a user who put it under a fairly close cover to see how it would run as the heat built up.  It didn't get very hot and it ran fine. 

If you like the convenience of having a DVR (and if you read all this, you must) this is an option worth looking at.  It's not cheap - about $360 for the DVR+, the 1TB HD, and the Wi-Fi adapter. But there are no monthly fees or other ongoing costs and over the long run I believe I'll like what I got for the money.

Our neighbor gets all of his TV OTA and bought a ChannelMaster DVR+.  I gave him a USB external drive I was no longer using and he's quite happy with the system.  He opted to hardwire the DVR to his router rather than use the WiFi adapter.

This is something i have wondered about.... here in my "sticks and bricks" we use Tivo over the air only, and stream netflix to several available devices.  I'm not sure what we'll do if we ever hit the road long term!

I guess if you're going to park in a place for a while, it's not too big of a deal to reprogram the available channels.

Another option if you maintain a sticks and bricks.....might be these things like Slingbox, or Tivo's equal, i think called Stream

Anyway, i'm glad you found a solution, & I'm interested in that channle master alternative to my Tivo box

blw2 said:
Another option if you maintain a sticks and bricks.....might be these things like Slingbox, or Tivo's equal, i think called Stream

Slingbox and Stream sure have their appeal.  We just never seem to end up staying in places that have fast enough internet service to make them practical.  But if we did have that speed available to us, Slingbox would definitely be on our list.

I also bought a Channel Master DVR like Blevins did.  I agree with everything he said about it.  It is a great investment!  I move it from my house to the motorhome and it is quite easy.  Who would want to give $1000. or so to the satellite company when I usually only watch CBS and PBS.  At home we stream the few movies we want and on the road there is always a "redbox" if there is a Walmart.

There are a couple of cheaper boxes available for OTA recording. One is the Mediasonic HomeWorx HW-150PVR and the other is the Iview 3500STBII. The boxes are almost identical and can be purchased for under $40. To function as a DVR you have to purchase an external USB hard drive. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1365123671
http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/iview-3500stbii.html

They are only single tuner boxes so you can only record one show at a time. Do a search on Amazon and read the customer reviews. I own one of each and basically you get what you pay for. They do function, but they are a bit quirky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom