What is a safe front-to-back weight distribution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20FromNow

I didn't some searching and didn't find the answer, so I apologize if I'm asking an elementary question.

Is there a proven "ideal" front-to-back weight distribution for RVs?

We have a 1999 40' Monaco Dynasty (diesel pusher).
We weighed it this morning before we headed out on our trip from WA to TX.

This is our first winter as snow birders so we got a bit carried away with the packing.
We'll know better next time, but we're on the way now so it is what it is.

FRONT: 12,200 @ 35.6%
REAR: 22,020 @ 64.4%
TOTAL: 34,220
GVW: 35,000

Generally, this will be established by the maximum allowable weight for the specific mh at either end. Look at your placards or check with the manufacturer for max allowable loads at either end. With six tires, it typically will be about two to one rear to front as you found. With a tag axle, the percentage at the rear will be higher.

Ernie

Roger that. So I'm close.

I don't want to overload the front axle so maybe I'll shift the heavy fore bay cargo into the aft bay.

On the GVW, am I pushing my luck being 700-800 lbs shy of the 35K max?

Thank you for the response.

Check your specs to see what the GAWR for both axles are. I'm kinda new at looking at motorhomes, but I think the max GAWR for the rear is 20,000 lbs. I may be wrong and I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgeable will correct me if I am. Do you have a tag axle on that coach?

Simple answer, NO! The mh is designed for that load and, presuming the tires are less than seven years old and in good condition, you should have no problems. Do be careful to keep to the individual limits on each end.

Ernie

With a GVW of 34,220 you'll find that your axles ratings are as follows, REAR axle 20,000,  FRONT axle 14,220. So by your weights you're OVER on the rear axle by 2,000lbs. IF anything try to shift weight forward not rearward.

Motorhomes used on national highways were legally restricted to a 20,000 lb rear axle back then, but sometimes the actual axle had a greater rating. Recently that legal limit was increased to 23,000 lbs (same as buses), but of course the actual axle rating on an existing coach doesn't change. Check yours - at 22,000+ you may be exceeding the axle's load limit.

Single rear axle motorhomes are typically very near fully loaded on the rear axle (actual = rear GAWR) but much lighter at the front axle. As long as you stay under the max axle ratings and GVWR total, you should be fine.

Do not forget to check tire ratings.  It is not uncommon to have tires rated for much less than the axles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom