Class a rv with v10 anyone towing 7500lbs+ with one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcrv

If so did you just swap the hitch out? How is it going though the mountains
Thanks for any input

Most Class A gassers have a 5,000# towing capacity. Are you talking about exceeding the tow rating by 50%?

I have never seen a gas powered coach with anything over 5000# tow rating.  Anyone pulling more than that are putting themselves and everyone else on the road in danger.  One of the big issues is the frame is not designed for that much weight behind it.  The gas coaches chassis is usually extended from what the chassis manufacture made.  If you crawl underneath you can see were the extra frame was added.  Not only do you have to deal with the weight to pull but the side to side force that is applied and the tong weight.  In theory you could rip off the back end of the coach with that much weight back there.

Jcrv said:
Yes. Possibly swap the hitch?

No, swapping the hitch will do nothing for you in most circumstances. I don't think there is anyone on this forum that would recommend what you're suggesting.

Jcrv said:
Yes. Possibly swap the hitch?

I suspect you don't have a good feel for how strong the forces involved really are. See Ken's post above. Remember this isn't just pull once and be done, but rather it's fatigue over time -- with that much overload, the "over time" may be rather short, and you don't want the rear part of the rig, along with the toad, coming loose as you're going down the road.

Make sure the frame and hitch area are beefed up and you shouldnt have a problem pulling 7500 IMO.

It's not just the frame and hitch - you would also likely be overloading the transmission, differential and rear axle. The chassis has a GCWR - Gross Combined weight Rating - that is established long before the coach builder even put the receiver hitch on. That number doesn't change if you beef up the hitch. You can probably get away with exceeding it for a brief time, but longer term it's gonna cost you.

The largest gas Class A chassis are typically limited to about 26,000 lbs combined coach & trailer. With the [loaded] coach weighing in somewhere n the vicinity of 21,000-22,000 lbs, there isn't enough capacity left for a 7500 lb trailer, no matter what hitch you install.

A diesel pusher chassis will have a GCWR that permits trailers in the 10,000-15,000 lb range. That's what you need.

What brand pusher will tow 10000lbs and have a length of 34'?
Don't want to spend more then 100k

That's going to be a tough order. I know of several Class As that are rated to tow 10,000 lbs but none of them are only 34 feet long. If you'd consider a larger Class C, Jayco made the 34SS that had a 330 HP diesel I think (front engine of course), and I believe the 2007s - 2008s had a tow rating of 8000 lbs. I think they increased it to 10,000 lbs on later models but they also increased the overall length to 37 feet.

Kev

How do you convince a friend that is towing about 7500# that this is dangerous?  :-\
He swears that his manual says that his 38ft Gulfstream with Ford V10 can tow 10,000#. (He can't find the manual to show me.) All my online checking shows only the 5,000# discussed here. He is also a very aggressive driver which is also not something I admire in a motorhome driver which can only add stress to hitch points, brakes, tranny, etc.

Bob

Bob,

If you're traveling with him, stay far, far behind him and get ready to call 911.

What brand pusher will tow 10000lbs and have a length of 34'?

Lots of them. Winnebago made the Journey in 32 & 34 foot lengths, but they can be hard to find on the used market. Gulfstream Crescendo, Monaco LaPalma diesel (some are gas), Itasca Meridian, National Tropi-cal diesel, Bounder diesel, etc. Mostly 34 footers.

Yep, by golly you were right Gary. I thought all those 32 and 34 foot Meridians and Journeys had a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. It looks like with the bigger Cat it gets upped to 10,000 lbs.

Kev

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom