"Mountain Directory West" question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill and Debbie

Since trucks and RV's have some similar issues, I am wondering what the phrase "tractors-semis over 30' kingpin to rear axle not advised" means as it may relate to a motor home with toad. I have also seen 36' used instead of 30'.

I just picked up this publication and it seems to have some very useful information relating to mountain passes, etc. Thanks.....

The kingpin is the center of the fifth wheel hitch. Presumably the rear axle referenced is the rear-most axle on the trailer. This reason for the restriction is likely tight turns. The reference itself wouldn't directly relate to motorhomes, though it likely would mean about the same for a 5th wheel RV. But it does indicate that longer motorhomes may prefer another route.

Thanks Larry...wondering if that refers to double rigs which are ubber long. Seems most of these truck restrictions are for possibly more "switchback" type of roads rather than grades, though anything over 7% would scare me!

An trailer that is 30 feet from pin to rear axle would probably be nearing 40 feet overall, so not many towable RVs would be affected by that signage.

A 45 foot motorhome typically has a wheelbase of around 25-26 feet, so would not fall under that adviso in any case.

Is it my understanding then, that if a road had that king pin restriction for trucks, it would not apply to a motorhome  and that stretch of roadway could be safely traveled by a MH and toad?

Well, motorhomes aren't semis and don't have king pins, so that restriction does not apply. But common sense indicates that the road is going to be twisty, so caution is still advisable if the motorhome has a very long wheelbase. Mine, for example, is a hair over 22 feet, well below the 30 foot restriction given for semi's, so I would not be much concerned.

From a practical standpoint, when you see kingpin advisories, also look for signs like "sharp curves ahead" because it generally means large vehicles like those trucks are so long they can't make it around the curves AND stay in their lanes.  You really don't want to meet one of them on a curve!

By the way, the Mountain Directory is very good.  We carry both the east and west editions.

ArdraF

In California Motorhomes over 40 feet are restricted from some roads. If the sign has 30 foot Kingpin warning, it also means that Motorhomes over 40 feet are not allowed per the Caltrans website. Caltrans has a separate website covering roads where 40+ motorhomes are and are not allowed.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/bus-motorhome/45-motorhomes.htm

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom