Poughkeepsie, Alaska Basin, Hurricane peak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Better late than never  :p.  We did Poughkeepsie Gulch this summer (like we usually do when we are in Montrose) and it was fun.  Most in our group went right up, one fellow had to reposition a time or two.  I went up the far right side which is a little steeper but doesn't require careful tire placement.

Edit: removed dup pictures

Attachments

• The-Wall1.jpg
    The-Wall1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 68
  • The-Wall2.jpg
    The-Wall2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 70
  • The-Wall3.jpg
    The-Wall3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 64
  • The-Wall4.jpg
    The-Wall4.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 58
Okay - let's try this again - I tried to upload the rest of the pix last night and it bombed out.

Attachments

• PoughkeepsieSmallObstacle.jpg
    PoughkeepsieSmallObstacle.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Ptarmigan.jpg
    Ptarmigan.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 40
  • SunnysideSaddle.jpg
    SunnysideSaddle.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 31
  • AlaskaBasinLunch.jpg
    AlaskaBasinLunch.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 36
  • CorkscrewInBackground.jpg
    CorkscrewInBackground.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 33
  • HurricanePeak.jpg
    HurricanePeak.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34
  • HurricanePeakAltitude.jpg
    HurricanePeakAltitude.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 43
Cool pics John.  We missed out annual August trip to Ouray this year and it sucks that we had to cancel.  Oh well, we are already looking forward to next year.

Thanks for posting up the pics.  They remind me of how much I love that area for wheeling.

Mike.

Was there in2014 as well I did Poughkeepsie as well ! Did all 9 passes including Black Bear and Imogene great stuff !

Finally got to climb the WALL at Poughkeepsie Gulch this August, trying out my new Rubicon. But I really had more trouble with the rock pile 1/8 mile BEFORE the wall. Managed to knock a hole in my steering stabilizer at that point. Things would have been much easier if my Jeep weren't completely STOCK with 0 lift...Last week I ordered and installed a bracket that positions the stabilizer ABOVE rather than BELOW the drag link. Black Bear was MUCH easier.

hes4all said:
Hope all is well with you John...
Prostate cancer.  Ugh.

midasman pete said:
Finally got to climb the WALL at Poughkeepsie Gulch this August, trying out my new Rubicon. But I really had more trouble with the rock pile 1/8 mile BEFORE the wall. Managed to knock a hole in my steering stabilizer at that point. Things would have been much easier if my Jeep weren't completely STOCK with 0 lift...Last week I ordered and installed a bracket that positions the stabilizer ABOVE rather than BELOW the drag link. Black Bear was MUCH easier.
I know exactly where that rock obstacle is located and sometimes if I don't hit it just right I have to re-position a time or two.

I don't know what Jeep engineering was thinking about, but the location of the JK steering stabilizer is way beyond bizzare - I have wheeled with new JK owners that have done the very same thing.  The trail "fix" is to remove it.

Back
Top Bottom