12V Wire Brand OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny

Hi all,

I am planning on using 12 and 14 AWG wire for my 12V wiring.  Could anyone tell me if the Brand Southwire THHN is OK to use?  I found it at Lowes and the link is below.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G0209027/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CJHr2dCgmMECFY8F7AodoQ4AdQ

Many many thanks-
Jenny

I am an industrial electrician by trade and have used Southwire brand wire for quite a few years. It is a reputable manufacturer, and you should have no problems with Southwire's quality.

Just in case you're wiring something that may have solar panels someday, you might want to consider 8 AWG for that portion of the wiring, simply to minimize resistance.

FWIW, THHN is normally used for higher voltage AC circuits. 120, 240 etc. 12 volt DC stranded wiring generally contains smaller individual strands, and more of them making it better suited for dc circuits. Can you use THHN stranded...yes, but it is not the best way to go, and because it is much stiffer, it is harder to work with.

As Dennis said, that is not the right type of wire. Southwire is a good brand, but you should not use solid wire for 12 volt wiring in a vehicle. And do not use wire nuts.

THHN comes both in solid and stranded versions in sizes smaller than 8 gauge. Most electricians that have used wire in commercial applications have probably used solid THHN far more than the stranded....it's cheaper..  ;). I'm sure that's most likely why Tom mentioned it.

Water Dog said:
THHN comes both in solid and stranded versions in sizes smaller than 8 gauge. Most electricians that have used wire in commercial applications have probably used solid THHN far more than the stranded....it's cheaper..  ;) . I'm sure that's most likely why Tom mentioned it.
Are you calling Tom S. a cheapskate? :)

I never buy the wire, the contractor buys it. I prefer stranded for vehicles because it is less prone to problems in a vibration application.

Thanks all.  I should have said STRANDED wire.  Does anyone have a favorite brand/place to buy?  I am wiring this tiny rig and need to get a reputable brand...

Thanks!

My opinion, for what it is worth-the THHN you are looking at will work just fine for wiring your TT. It's not that difficult to work with. Yes, it's a bit stiffer than what some people call "primary" wire which is smaller diameter stranded and more limber than THHN. In some instances the extra stiffness of the THHN could be a blessing. I have used THHN for circuits down to 5 volts DC with no problems. I would suggest using ratchet type crimpers for the connectors over the crimpers on the wire strippers. You don't need $300 Thomas&Betts crimpers, the $25 ones from Auto Zone work just fine.

The stuff you cited will work just fine. You could also buy Automotive Primary Wire in most any auto parts store, e.g. NAPA, O'Reilly's, Carquest, etc. It is stranded and the insulation is rated for vehicle use, even under the hood or chassis. Ought to be more than sufficient for an RV.

You can buy THHN wire at Lowes or Depot by the foot, in most any gauge you want. No need to mail order from a specialty company. I don't think you need to worry much about the quality of the wire as long as the rating is sufficient, i.e. more than 25 volts and temperatures above 150 degrees F. Most any brand ought to meet those requirements easily. If the wire will be exposed to the exterior, you need a tougher insulation like the THHN or Automotive primary wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom