Another Verizon Gotcha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
For those with unlimited data plans that prevent us from upgrading our phones without a plan change the workaround of using the upgrade on another phone on the plan and then moving the equipment to your number has changed.

Beginning 8/26/2014 Verizon now requires the number being upgraded to continue paying the 4G data rate for 24 months irregardless of the phone attached to that number. For us that means I upgraded Sue's text phone to a Samsung S5, moved the new phone to my number, reattached the text phone to her number but now had two data charges, one on my number and one on hers for her non-smartphone LG.

The Samsung goes back tomorrow!

Loopholes are eventually found and plugged.  On the bright side, Verizon has said they won't be throttling the heavy 4G users on busy cells.  It took a nudge from the FCC to get them to retract.

Jeff

Will that trick still work if you are already paying for two smartphones with data plans?

That's how I upgraded my last phone and kept my unlimited...

Terry A. Brewer said:
Jeff

Will that trick still work if you are already paying for two smartphones with data plans?

That's how I upgraded my last phone and kept my unlimited...

Terry

Yes it will. My problem was Sue has a text phone and didn't need the data for which VZ was going to charge us $30/mo for 24 months.

DW & I were grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data from back in the day of the iphone 3G
I clinged to that plan for a long time, not wanting to give it up, but eventually came to realize that it wasn't worth all that much to me.

We were on vacation up in WI a couple years back, and the kids had been watching a little netflix on the phones, and DW was checking emails and such occasionally for her business..... Cover was shotty anyway, but it was working.  Didn't take long before she was severely limited..... something about using too much data while roaming out of network.

Roaming?  i thought that went away 10 or 15 years ago...!!!

Anyway, got to looking at these no contract plans from T-Mobile and others, which made me analyze more closely our data usage patterns.

Long story short, maybe a year ago, for less money we changed to AT&T's family plan, and have 10GB to share between us.  So far we've never came close, even on several trips with the kids doing way to much hotspot streaming to the ipads. 
The plans is cheaper than the unlimited grandfather plan so we save money, and otherwise it's the same difference.....

I cling to the unlimited data because we use 20-30 gb a month while on the road for six months. Unfortunately VZ also has much better coverage out west when you get off the beaten track of the Interstate system.

Back
Top Bottom