Questions re Quartzsite and other rallies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah198

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I have some questions about the rallies and hope y'all have some free time and good advice.  I am planning on full-timing next summer so I am shopping for a MH/some good gadgets and most of all advice and recommendations.  I am going to be attending the rally in Quartzsite and was wondering if a day trip is sufficient. I am driving from Phoenix and was wondering if I should plan to stay longer? I don't know what to expect as this will be my first rally and I do plan to attend the Good Sam rally in February. Will that be overdoing it or will it be beneficial even if I haven't purchased my MH yet? I was unsure if these rallies were more for those that are already established travellers. I apologize if I'm on the wrong thread and I appreciate any and all advice  ;D
Thanks in advance,
Sarah

You should attend and you should plan on at least spending a week at Q. You will meet lots of nice friendly people and you will have a blast.

This will be my first year at the Quartzsite Sports, Vacation, and RV Show. From what I read and hear it is attended by thousands upon thousands of RVers.

If you don't have a motor home you might want to make reservations at one of the local hotels soon. I am sure they book up quickly this time of year.

I am attending the Quartzsite Rally Forum Group, but I am not going to be boon docking with the seasoned pros, I have reservations at one of the seasonal RV Parks in Quartzsite (Park Place). I prefer full hook-ups to boon docking.

I planned four full days at the show.

What are your expectations for attending? The RVForum rallies are strictly social affairs, though Quartzite itself will have plenty of vendors for all kinds of products (not just RVs). You can probably learn from talking to the forum members at the rally, but it would be strictly an ad hoc thing. So by all means come and plan on spending at least one day and evening (happy hour and campfire social time).

If mostly you want to look around the vendors displays in Quartzite, a day trip is probably sufficient for a newcomer.

You're more than welcome to join us at our Forum rally - whether or not you have an RV.  Bring a chair and join us for our late afternoon happy hour discussions around the campfire.  The Big Tent has many booths dedicated to RVing destinations along with accessories, etc.  There will be several RV dealers in town for the month with many new and used RVs on display and you could easily spend a day just looking at RVs.  Plan to spend some time people watching and maybe driving around the BLM camping areas just looking around.

If you want to stay overnight, the closest motel rooms will be in Blythe, about 20 minutes west of Q.  Quartzsite does have a Super 8 motel but it's likely booked solid in January.

January 16-18 is the Blythe Bluegrass festival, so space may be tight in Blythe that weekend, but otherwise you should have no trouble finding a room.

Since you're in the planning stages, let me also recommend the Escapees RV Club Escapade.  It's a formal rally like Good Sam with an extensive seminar program and an excellent Boot Camp to get newcomers up to speed on how a RV works.  The Escapade will be held in Tucson this year, March 8-13.  You'll find lots of full timers there - both experienced and newcomers.  If you don't have your RV by then, no problem - just stay in a local motel and walk in.

Sarah198 said:
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I have some questions about the rallies and hope y'all have some free time and good advice.  I am planning on full-timing next summer so I am shopping for a MH/some good gadgets and most of all advice and recommendations.  I am going to be attending the rally in Quartzsite and was wondering if a day trip is sufficient. I am driving from Phoenix and was wondering if I should plan to stay longer? I don't know what to expect as this will be my first rally and I do plan to attend the Good Sam rally in February. Will that be overdoing it or will it be beneficial even if I haven't purchased my MH yet? I was unsure if these rallies were more for those that are already established travellers. I apologize if I'm on the wrong thread and I appreciate any and all advice  ;D
Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Quartzsite is fun and we go every year.  But if looking for information you will get a lot more from the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix will have lots of seminars.  We are also going there.

So enjoy the "Q" and a day trip will probably be enough for RV related stuff.  If you are looking to hit all the swap meets than maybe a couple of days. 

GS will have motorhomes for sale so you can walk through a lot of different brands and sizes.  They have tons of seminars every day of the rally.

Enjoy!

Quartzsite is a wonderful place to meet lots and lots of RVers.  I refer to it as a happening in the desert.  One cannot really envision it until you drive over a rise on I-10 and look out over the desert and see thousands of RVs parked out there.  I think it deserves more than one day.  You'll need one day just for the RV tent.  Those of us who attend every year might be able to go through it faster, but as a "newbie" there will be more for you to see.  Then there are several places around town to see RVs.  If you have your RV by then you won't be as interested in them but if you don't it might take a couple more days.  Then there's the flea market stuff and the gems and minerals which easily take a couple of days to cover.  Wear your comfortable walking shoes!

Last but certainly not least, the RV Forum group will be about two miles south of town and joining us at happy hour is a quick and easy way to meet about 50 of us in one location.  Some of us who will be attending Quartzsite post frequently and it's fun to put names and faces together.  I highly recommend Quartzsite but yes you do need to make reservations right away.  Vendors who have to use motels stay in Blythe so it's a busy place in January.  If you're able to have your RV by January, then join us at Section 541 on BLM land.  We'll be able to bring you up to speed quickly about RVing and how you do what.  It's a great group of people who are very helpful.

I might add, the "organized" rallies like Good Sam and Escapees are quite different from Quartzsite.  People attend them for seminars and to learn a lot.  People attend Quartzsite to meet people and see a wide variety of items whether RV related or not.  They're like apples and oranges.  Both are worth attending for newbies.

ArdraF

Hello,
Thanks everyone for all the responses. I appreciate all the information, advice and invites. I may take you up on that social hour. Would love to meet some of you and hear all about your journeys and most of all learn the ins and outs of the RV community. It seems like a friendly and great group of people. I think I will definitely attend both and maybe even the Escapees rally. I am all about gaining as much information and knowledge as possible.
Thanks again as I wasnt expecting such quick responses.
Sarah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom