Michelin XZA alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

driftless shifter

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/us-investigates-failures-michelin-truck-tires-26106286

Thought you all should see this.

Bill

Read the article and notice ONE big thing, ALL failures had occurred on trucks from the SAME trucking company.  I'd strongly look at the trucking companies maintenance procedures before I'd be looking at the tire maker.

Does not say ALL failures were one trucking co., says 5 failures happened in one co. Didn't say how many failures there had been. Big difference there. Ya takes yer chances and hope for the best, while paying attention.

Bill

Makes some sense if you think about it.  1) Many big car haulers are not Semi's with a fifth wheel trailer, but a truck with a conventional trailer on a pintle hitch (or more likely, a fifth-wheel type hitch mounted low and behind the rear of the truck, not over the rear axle).  The weight of 3 or 4 of the cars is directly on the truck chassis, putting extra load on the front wheels compared to a regular semi.  2) a company which has experienced 5 failures would be more likely to contact the NHTSA, than another company which had only had one or two failures.  I'd bet that now that the word is out, many more companies will come forward with failure data and this will become a much more widespread issue. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom