My rant...of sorts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

I have been reading quite a few disparaging threads over the last few weeks from a few people who question the sanity, or at least the good judgement of people who buy motor homes. There are folks out there who would bad-mouth anything in an effort to garner attention. I believe a lot of the negative comments I've read lately are just that.

I have the luxury of being able to park my motor home at my residence, it fits "snugly" between my house and my shop, so that every morning when I get up, go out to my shop, have my morning coffee, and play on my computer I also get to open up and get a good wiff of my coach. I enjoy opening up the motor home each day. I love the smell of ultra-leather in the morning... 8)

There is no way that I can adequately explain what it is that draws me to RVing. It all begins with my love to be outdoors, and my desire to do it in comfort. When I first camped at age an early age and slept out under the stars on the ground in my cotton sleeping bag, and in my little Cub Scout pop-up tent I was hooked on camping. Many thousands of dollars and a hundred camping trips later I bought my first RV, a $300.00 pop-up trailer and I was drawn into the RV lifestyle hook, line, and sinker. I've never looked back and thought that I had made a bad choice.

So folks can take their precious time to bad-mouth the hobby that I truly love, and it is all like water on a duck's back... They're not going to change my mind, any more than I am going to change their minds.

I am on my fourth RV, (my 2nd Motor home) and I am hoping/planning to buy another new motor home, and take yet another depreciation hit (another topic for naysayers of new equipment). I just like buying new equipment. I grew up poor, and wearing hand-me-downs. I busted my hump in my career and I like brand new equipment...

Anyway...I am done with my rant...if I had a point I forgot what it was...oh yes, naysayers. I am very content in my decision, so bad-mouth the RV industry and my choices all you want. I still love my chosen lifestyle. RVing and Four-Wheeling is the life for me.

End of meaningless rant.

Glad your happy.
However you might consider something else for a change
How many starving people in the world could you feed with the depreciation on that brand new MH?
How many people could have clean water if instead of buying that new MH you gave the money to drill wells?
How many children born with birth defects could get life changing surgeries if you gave your excess money to some organization like doctors without borders, or project hope?

donn said:
Glad your happy.
How many starving people in the world could you feed with the depreciation on that brand new MH?
How many people could have clean water if instead of buying that new MH you gave the money to drill wells?
How many children born with birth defects could get life changing surgeries if you gave your excess money to some organization like doctors without borders, or project hope?
This just might qualify for the all time stupidest post. No use arguing with logic as perverse as this.

John, enjoy your hobby. The naysayers are all just jealous.

donn said:
Glad your happy.

WOW!!! I could sell my house, my cars, all of my possessions and give it all to the poor. In fact, everyone who has ever purchased anything aside from assisting the needs of the world should be Keel-Hauled. You are a little assuming considering that you have no idea as to what gifts I give. My conscience is clear...how about yours?

donn said:
Glad your happy.

How many people could you save by donating the cost of a computer and internet access?

I couldn't help but think about all those starving children in China I could have saved with all the leftover food on my plate, if my dear departed mother had of actually sent it over to them.  While I agree that we all need to actively find ways to support those less fortunate, and that we must treat others humanely, even the most generous are not expected to become paupers through their generosity.
    All that to say, I think the post was intended to start an argument, not to provide an actual proposal of how people should act.

Ed

Oscar Mike said:
I grew up poor, and wearing hand-me-downs. I busted my hump in my career and I like brand new equipment...

I am very content in my decision, so bad-mouth the RV industry and my choices all you want. I still love my chosen lifestyle. RVing and Four-Wheeling is the life for me.

Too funny John, how similar our stories are. I am on my 6th RV, and wouldn't trade the lifestyle for anything.  Could I have saved all that money I spent on RV's and had a bigger pile of money when I am finally done traveling someday, sitting in my rocking chair thinking back at my life?  Absolutely.  But I would much rather be sitting there with a big goofy smile on my face, thinking about all the places I have seen and the stuff I have done. 

So rant on my friend.  I am right behind you.

Let me see if I understand this right, so I spent 20+ years in the military, and then 20+ years driving truck, but I'm not entitled to retired and enjoy my RVing hobby because someone needs water, food, shelter, and it's my responsibility to forgo ALL the things I've spent my life building up to so I could finally after 40 years relax????  That's ONE of the things that's off with our country, we're responsible for the WHOLE WORLD, NOT!!!!

No body told you you could not enjoy your hobbies.  Just think through your wants and try putting your priorities in order.  Remember you cant take it with you.
Really surprises me how many insecure people there on here slamming the idea of helping others achieve a better life for them selves.  Not to mention the nasty comments directed towards me.
Guess all I can say is kiss off!

Let's keep this civil, folks.  This is an RV Forum.

Staying on topic.  I love our RV life style.  We have been all over this country including Alaska and have been across Canada several times.  This upcoming year we plan to hit the East coast and hopefully down to Florida.  And Oscar Mike, we only buy new. 

Marsha~

donn said:
No body told you you could not enjoy your hobbies.  Just think through your wants and try putting your priorities in order.  Remember you cant take it with you.
Really surprises me how many insecure people there on here slamming the idea of helping others achieve a better life for them selves.  Not to mention the nasty comments directed towards me.
Guess all I can say is kiss off!
Is it not enough morning coffee or too much morning coffee?

I often wonder how much of the money we donate goes to where we think it goes ???  Oscar Mike  I agree with you although I only buy used, so I can support the oil companies as we'll as the poor, hungry and ill.

Oscar Mike, John, you go have all the fun you want.  If you like new, buy new.  Hope you always have a tail wind.  Enjoy!!!

Sometimes the torch will burn your house down if you do not mind it.  As my bride says, "there is a cover for every pot."

Closing on Wednesday, would be homeless if not for our MH.  Leaving LI after 66 years.  A lot of memories..

Spending the winter in Florida, and moving to Bethlehem PA. in April.

We have traveled the world, but the best memories is the trips in the MH with the whole family.  Can never be replaced. 

As far as saving the world, 34 years working for US, 40 years volunteer FD, 20 years Lions Club.  I can sleep at night.  No regrets, no looking back...

Did I forget to mention all the nice people I have met camping??????

Jim & Kathy

I am another one with a similar story. It all started as a boy scout and now we are on our 5th RV. I can't even begin to think of all the memories we have and all the friendly folks we have met in the RV world. Best of all my wife likes rving as much as I do.

Keep it up man.

There will always be someone or some group that feels
that they know what is best for someone else.
Anything they have not experienced or like is wrong.
They have an elitist mentality that stays out of control.

There are at least 535 of these people in Washington DC that
have that mentality. Then every neighborhood has it's know it all
and every forum seems to have at least one (I thank that one here,
has remained hidden here, as I have not read their post).

Arguing with the uninformed or those without personal experience
is just a waste of breath. They usually have closed minds and do not
want to really learn anything anyway.

I view it as this is my life, if no one likes it, they can take a walk.

Back
Top Bottom