The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Laurie and I have spent the last week in Albuquerque at the Balloon Fiesta with the Monaco International Rally. We were fortunate to have a space right on the south edge of the ascension field. The balloons went right over the top of our coaches. There were over 600 balloons of many colors, sizes, and custom shapes. It was estimated that there were over 100,000 people on the field with the balloons as they were being setup and taking off on at lest 3 of the 8 days. What a great time we had!

The first balloon would light off before sunrise as a test flight, and the main group would start at 7:00 and continue for about an hour until all the balloons were in the air. Unfortunately several of the events were canceled due to rain and high winds.

I took over 1000 photos. Here's just a few.

If you ever get the chance to go to the ABQ Balloon Fiesta, grab it. It is a sight you only see there and must experience it in person.

Attachments

• First off.jpg
    First off.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Getting started.jpg
    Getting started.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Parked at the edge.jpg
    Parked at the edge.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 48
Nice shots, Chet. I hope that's clouds curling over the Sandias, not snow.

I lived in ABQ in February 1972 when Sid Cutter put together the first of those fiestas, operating out of the state fairgrounds. They had the fiesta one year and balloon races the next, for the first few years. It's quite a sight. They finally moved the fiesta to October because of occasional problems with the winter winds. Now it sounds as if the winds are starting to chase the fiesta.

Thanks for the pix.

Back
Top Bottom