FCOC no longer a part of FMCA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
The Executive Board of the Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC) voted on September 29, 2014 to no longer be a chapter of the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). The main reason for this decision is that many of our members and prospective members did not want to also have to be an FMCA member, which was a requirement while we still remained a Chapter. Another reason is that FCOC is now free to hold rallies in locations without having to link up with FMCA's schedule.  Recent discussions with the Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp (FCCC) have shown their support for this move, and we hope the links between our club and our namesake company will grow even stronger.

See this article for all the details.

At the last Rally I attended many of the long-time board members did not like having to travel to an international FMCA rally for an annual meeting of the chapter as required by the bylaws. I haven't met very many owners of DPs that weren't FMCA members.

The few rally's they have had away from FMCA have not had very big numbers. FCOC was at one time the largest chapter of FMCA. As long as we keep getting discounts from FCCC I guess it is irreverent.

I always thought that FCOC was wrong about the supposed need to have a rally in conjunction with an FMCA National. There are over 475 chapters and they all don't have rallies at a national, nor do I find anything in the FMCA Bylaws requiring that.  Each chapter is required to have a business meeting each year to elect officers. That's all. Elections can even be held electronically (via internet) or via mail.  The chapter's National Director (or Alternate) must attend a national to represent the chapter, though.

The problem for FCOC has always been getting a quorum together to hold an election and that was most easily done by having a business meeting at a time/place when lots of members were going to be present anyway. Ergo, at a FMCA National Rally. But they could have amended the chapter bylaws to permit electronic voting or otherwise simplify  the business meeting needs.  And FCOC will still have to address that problem when on their own.

Don't get me wrong - I think that FCOC can do OK without FMCA. More than a few other groups do, especially those with backing from a major company (FCCC in this case).

I wish I could convince the Beaver Ambassador Club to do the same thing.  The problem is that the ruling group at BAC are dyed in the wool FMCA members.  Every year I hate having to pay for a worthless FMCA membership that I don't want.

The BAC is dyed in the wool about more that FMCA. I enjoyed my time there until the "powers that be", decided they knew everything that was good for everyone. The old Cat Club did the same thing when they changed to the Diesel Club. Oh well, I vote with my mouse, and checkbook.

Ken

docj said:
  Every year I hate having to pay for a worthless FMCA membership

With the recent  addition of the FMCAssist program I see great value in FMCA Membership,  I was paying $105 per year for the service which is now ( effective 10/1/14 )  included in my FMCA membership.  So I 'm thinking I just saved $105. 

Betty Brewer said:
With the recent  addition of the FMCAssist program I see great value in FMCA Membership,  I was paying $105 per year for the service which is now ( effective 10/1/14 )  included in my FMCA membership.  So I 'm thinking I just saved $105.

I don't know what you were getting for the money you were paying on your own, but IMHO the small print in the FMCA policy makes it nearly worthless.  Contrary to what has been said in forums such as this, the coverage does NOT cover repatriation back to the US from Canada or Mexico.  If you read it carefully, all it promises is to take you to a place with appropriate medical care if you are ill and in an area where adequate medical is not available.  The insurance company gets to decide if the care where you are is adequate for your medical condition and I would guess that in most parts of Canada and the US the care would be judged to be adequate.

As for the other benefits such as returning your RV to your home, NONE of those benefits can be accessed unless the insurance company agrees that the ill person needs to me transferred to another location.

I'm not surprised that the coverage is so limited since FMCA is probably paying very little for it.  It's like the "accidental injury insurance" that we used to buy as kids in school.  It cost practically nothing because the statistical chance of payout was close to zero.

docj said:
I don't know what you were getting for the money you were paying on your own, but IMHO the small print in the FMCA policy makes it nearly worthless.  Contrary to what has been said in forums such as this, the coverage does NOT cover repatriation back to the US from Canada or Mexico.  If you read it carefully, all it promises is to take you to a place with appropriate medical care if you are ill and in an area where adequate medical is not available.  The insurance company gets to decide if the care where you are is adequate for your medical condition and I would guess that in most parts of Canada and the US the care would be judged to be adequate.

As for the other benefits such as returning your RV to your home, NONE of those benefits can be accessed unless the insurance company agrees that the ill person needs to me transferred to another location.

I'm not surprised that the coverage is so limited since FMCA is probably paying very little for it.  It's like the "accidental injury insurance" that we used to buy as kids in school.  It cost practically nothing because the statistical chance of payout was close to zero.

The Seven Corners administers the Program and the details are here.  Travel is restricted to North America.
http://fmca.sevencorners.com/FMCA%20Brochure%20&%20ID%20Cards.pdf

Betty Brewer said:
The Seven Corners administers the Program and the details are here.  Travel is restricted to North America.
http://fmca.sevencorners.com/FMCA%20Brochure%20&%20ID%20Cards.pdf

The following was taken from the benefit statement from the FMCA website:

1. Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation
The plan will pay covered expenses incurred if any covered injury or illness that commences during the period of coverage results in the medically necessary emergency medical evacuation or repatriation (i.e., the member?s medical condition warrants immediate transportation from the medical facility where he or she is located to the nearest medical facility that is capable of furnishing the required level and type of care for the applicable illness or injury as determined by the attending physician in consultation with the Seven Corners medical director).

Notice that the relocation is to "nearest medical facility capable of furnishing the required level and type of care."  There is no guarantee to bring you home or even back to  the US.  Your physician at the location where you are hospitalized and the insurance company will make the decision.  So if you are in a remote location in the Yukon you might be brought to Calgary or Vancouver BC but there's nothing that says you would be brought to the US.

Here's where I got this quote: 
http://www.fmca.com/benefits/fmcassist.html

If you're interested in the secondary benefits such as returning your vehicle if you are too ill to drive, here's what the website says about that:

5. Vehicle return (limited to trips in North America only)
Should the member, due to a medical condition, be unable to drive his/her vehicle back to his/her permanent primary residence within the United States, Mexico, or Canada, Seven Corners will arrange and pay to have a designated service return the vehicle to the member?s home, provided:

a) The member has been transported under either the ?emergency medical evacuation/repatriation? or ?return of mortal remains? benefits; and
b) no one in the member?s traveling party is capable of driving, or proficient and competent to drive, the member?s vehicle. The vehicle must be in good condition and capable of being safely driven on the highway in compliance with local laws.

The insurance plan will also cover the return of any additional vehicle that is legally hitched to their vehicle at the time of the ?emergency medical evacuation/repatriation? or ?return of mortal remains? to the destination of the pulling vehicle.

Notice that this benefit is ONLY in effect if the insurance company has agreed to transport you for medical care or they are paying for your "mortal remains" to be returned home.  But even if you die the benefit is only payable if your spouse is not able to drive the vehicle. 

IMO counting on these benefits to cover you is a fairytale.

That wording is typical of most any such medivac policy, isn't it?

I agree, though, that medical evacuation is different than repatriation to your home, for you or the RV. Those are often separate coverages, either a policy option of a different policy altogether. Make sure that the policy(s) you have do what you expect - you don't want to find out too late that it does not.

Back to the original topic. FCOC members received an email today from David Kessler, the FMCA  Vice President for the International Area, informing them that in the opinion of FMCA the Executive Board of FCOC does not have the right under the bylaws to terminate the relationship with FMCA. It will take a vote of the membership to do that.

IMHO FMCA is a dinosaur that is fighting its inevitable extinction.  Actions like this only serve to further convince me that it is an organization that has outlived its usefulness.  What a wonderful way to retain members--telling them that they don't have permission not to join.  That's the height of absurdity.

Maybe so but many of us still enjoy our memberships and attend rallies because we get personal benefits out of them.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Maybe so but many of us still enjoy our memberships and attend rallies because we get personal benefits out of them.

ArdraF

To each his own, but my  wife and I aren't interested in RV rallies run  by any group.  We like seeing and exploring new places, not sitting around seeing other RVers.  JMO.  The only "benefit" I get from FMCA is being "permitted" to join the Beaver Ambassador Club so I can participate on its forum.  Give me an opportunity and I would drop my membership in a heartbeat.

We do both!  And we happen to like being with the other RV Forum people at our various rallies, some of which coincide with either the FMCA or Monaco rallies.

ArdraF

The letter from the FMCA International guy is laughable and does indeed indicate a certain disconnect with the real world. He is technically right about an election, but way off-base in his approach to the matter. Certainly any FCOC chapter members who want to keep an FCOC chapter within FMCA can do so, but if the rest of the group decides to go independent, that is totally up to them. And the FCCC (Freightliner Chassis company) financial support appears to be going with the independence group.

As a practical matter, most FCOC members seem to be in it for the service & repair discounts and info via the FCOC Yahoo group and the FCOCRV.org website. They don't much care whether it is part of FMCA or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom