mode button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knc1951

Can anyone explain the purpose of the mode selection button on my 96 American eagle Allison Transmission. Cant really find anything in the owners manual that explains what it does. Should it be on or off?

Depressing the Mode button shifts the transmission into (or out of) Economy mode, which changes the shift points by approx 200 RPM.

Most coaches have their transmission pre-programmed to Normal or Standard mode, and the driver can choose to select Economy mode. Some coaches, such as Marathon Prevost conversions, have their transmission pre-programmed to Economy mode, and the driver can choose to select Normal mode. According to Allison, many buyers of Marathons have asked to have their transmissions re-programmed to Normal/Standard mode.

Economy mode (red light on) keeps the transmission in the higher gear just a little longer. Rolling hills where the trans shifts just before the top of the hill is the place the manual says the most benefit is at. Modern diesels don't mind being lugged down. Their peak torque is at the low end generally and so the transmission in economy mode takes advantage of that. You will notice that if you're in real mountains that you will like normal mode better, the trans shifts sooner and you'll lose less speed.

Ken

The "mode" is defined differently depending on the program but basically it is NORMAL or "Alternate"

As some have said, Economy is one mode.. Tow/haul or Grade brake,, All depends on the programming.

In my case the "MODE" switch, is labeled Grade brake.  Usually it will be labeled with the alternate mode, but MODE, is generic.

Thanks folks. One other question, when the mode light is on or selected is that the economy mode ???

On our 2003 Allison MH3000 transmission, the LED illuminates when Economy mode is selected. I've never used that mode since we bought the coach new, and my regular driver doesn't know it exists. According to Allison, the 'savings' by engaging Economy mode would be minimal. Remember that all it does is change the shift points by 200 RPM; It doesn't change ratios.

thank you all for your help, as suggested I think I will just leave it off.  :D

I don't necessarily expect much in the way of fuel savings but as Dan stated it does keep our 3000MH in 6th gear in rolling hills.

You really need to try it, in rolling hills it works very well and saves fuel

Yes to the first part (try it), but only "maybe" to the second part (saves). Whether the economy mode works well or saves anything depends on a wide variety of factors, not the least of which is coach weight and frontal area, headwinds, your driving style (aggressiveness), tire pressure, engine horsepower & torque, and the terrain itself.  So you should indeed try it, but don't be surprised if you notice no difference at all.

In my own case, I have found so few situations that are beneficial that I simply don't bother with it.

I  help the transmission along by using the keypad when going up fairly steep hills. I  manually shift down  before the tranny shifts to keep the speed up.

Bill

I doubt if you are achieving much, Bill. You are probably just changing the target gear, i.e. the gear the Allison 3000MH will try to reach if practical. It is still in control of the actual gear and will choose it based on power demand and RPMS.  You are merely giving it advice about your desires! Watch your tach to see what it really does.

You can usually get it to change from 6th to 5th (both overdrive gears), but it would do that anyway as soon as the grade is felt. But you could select 1st if you want and it is not going there unless the speed slows enough to make that actually necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom