Question About having A Permanent RV Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hi Jeff and all,

I know this thread is devoted to the Quartzsite Rally (I really want to attend but it's a week before the Tucson Gem Show and can't stay that long in AZ until I retired) but wondering about the permanent sites people have. That is of great interest to me. Should I post someplace else about this or can you give a brief response??

Thanks and hope everyone has a great time. I hope to join in next year!

In general a lot of us find a RV facility we enjoy and find ourselves going back for the friends we have made, the activities we enjoy, and the mild weather for the winter.

It is also a place for ex- full timers like us to make a nest, acquire stuff again, and have a place to return to if we had to come off the road suddenly.

Greetings,

I thought that somehow people were buying sites to stay on with their RV's. My ideal site would be within 10 or 20 miles of Tucson, probably on the south west side of the city. While a permanent site is of interest, being locked in to a specific place and paying taxes is not. Perhaps some campground that would lease a space for an extended period of time, so you would have a place to go each year.

Ideas?

Many companies offer leases on seasonal sites, CanAm Resorts is one of the large ones in AZ.

camperAL said:
Greetings,

I thought that somehow people were buying sites to stay on with their RV's. My ideal site would be within 10 or 20 miles of Tucson, probably on the south west side of the city. While a permanent site is of interest, being locked in to a specific place and paying taxes is not. Perhaps some campground that would lease a space for an extended period of time, so you would have a place to go each year.

Ideas?

There is a member of the forum that has wintered at the Voyager for many years and as far as I know they have been in the same site.  Maybe they will check in and provide more specific information.

camperAL said:
I thought that somehow people were buying sites to stay on with their RV's.
The whole point of full timing for me is not having to be burdened with owning, maintaining and paying taxes on land. We don't really own the land anyway, we are just renting it while we are here on Earth.

The advantage of renting is avoiding all ownership issues.

The advantage of ownership is that if you own the lot it is easier to justify spending money on improvements that you can enjoy, the disadvantage of ownership,is that it is easier to justify spending money on improvements you can enjoy. ::)

camperAL said:

Al,
As Jim mentioned above, we have spent our winters at Voyager RV Resort located on the southeast side of Tucson for the past 18 years. We rent a site annually and have put a shed on our lot. I installed a washer and dryer so my wife is happy about not having to go to the one of the two laundromats. Voyager has essentially any and every kind of activity anyone could want; see http://www.voyagerrv.com/the-village/facilities-at-voyager/ for a partial listing of the activities/facilities. You can rent a site by the day, week, month, 3-month or annually. If I recall correctly, renting for 4 1/2 months will cost the same as annually.

Voyager is 1/2 mile south of I-10 at Exit 270 and is about 10-15 minutes from all of the gem show attractions. In my opinion the southeast side of Tucson is a nicer area than the southwest side or, especially. the southside.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them for you.

R

Hi Jeff, Jim, SeilerBird and R,

A super nice park R! I am familiar with the area and have looked at the resort. Besides a campground to stay at or permanent location that I might buy into, I am looking for a site away from the city so I can do astronomy also. It's why I hope to find a park that is more southwest. The one campground that I am interested in seems to restrict their back sites to larger RV's and wants to put shorter campers in the middle of things, which is not to my likes. I need a spot where I won't bother people at night with my equipment, plus I need a good clear sky. I would rent for three or four months at a time in order to get one of those sites but they seem suborn on that issue. I haven't pressed them yet.

I do have an invite to camp at one of the observatories and do astronomy but that requires pulling up stakes and going there close to the boarder.  I don't plan to full time but simply to enjoy a few months of the winter away from the north.

You mentioned the SW side of Tucson.  We spent several winters are Mission View RV Resort, just east of I-19 and south of Valencia.  Large sites and all the amenities, plus it's on the reservation so no taxes :)  You can see Kitt Peak observatory from the park.  Practicing astronomy in an RV resort is problematical as they almost all have interior lighting that interferes with seeing.  But the open desert isn't very far so finding dark skies isn't really a problem, but you do have to go there.

camperAL said:
I know this thread is devoted to the Quartzsite Rally (I really want to attend but it's a week before the Tucson Gem Show and can't stay that long in AZ until I retired) but wondering about the permanent sites people have. That is of great interest to me. Should I post someplace else about this or can you give a brief response??

Thanks and hope everyone has a great time. I hope to join in next year!
I guess I don't understand your issue with Quartzsite and the Tucson Gem show. The Quartzsite show is about 10 days long, both weekends and the week in between and the Tucson show follows that directly. Why not go to Quartzsite on the Friday before the Gem show and then just scoot on over to Tucson. That would only add a couple of days to your trip rather than a week.

In fact my wife and I, who go to the Quartzsite show every year, don't go until the last couple of days, just to avoid the crowds. As long as you go the last Friday everyone is still there as are the gem stands all around the actual RV show. Or am I missing something?

Mike,

Note that this thread was broken away from one that was about Q, and the OP's reference to Q was just an apology for thread hijack.

SeilerBird said:
The whole point of full timing for me is not having to be burdened with owning, maintaining and paying taxes on land. We don't really own the land anyway, we are just renting it while we are here on Earth.
That's not exactly true.
Although you MUST pay taxes, and hopefully maintain the real estate you own, you do in fact own it.  It is an investment, and can be passed on in a will to your spouse or children. unlike a motor home, which is a depreciating asset, and will in time, become a worthless pile of rusting metal.  Factories produce RV's every day, God isn't making any more land.

The only two sure things in life, is death and taxes.  Not necessarily in that order!

Hi Ned and all,

Mission View is one I have looked at. The best Campgrounds that I have come up with so far for my needs is Justin's  Diamond, and Desert Trails. I'd prefer Justin's because the back lots are near the edge of the park and I can set up a scope in the desert about fifty or 100 feet from camp.

At times I wish there was an RV park about half way between Kitt Peak and Tucson. I know it wouldn't be close enough to services for other campers. Sorry to be so picky but we all have our ideal campgrounds and it's been a bit hard to find the ultimate one for me. Perhaps I need to think of another city like Casa Grande. Still I am familiar with Tucson and know my way around it.

Sorry if I offended anyone by asking about permanent spots as it was brought up in the Quartzite thread and why I asked about it.

It's not a long term park, but for dark skies check out Gilbert Ray county campground in Tucson Mountain Park southwest of Tucson.

the back lots are near the edge of the park and I can set up a scope in the desert about fifty or 100 feet from camp.

At Mission View, the west side lots adjoin the desert pet walk and you can go out there at night with your scope to get away from the interior street lights.

Ned said:
At Mission View, the west side lots adjoin the desert pet walk and you can go out there at night with your scope to get away from the interior street lights.

Hi Ned,

I will give the campground another visit this winter. I'll ask for permission to take a look after dark so I can get an idea of the site.

Thanks Lou for your suggestion. I thought that Gilbert Ray and Catalina State Parks both would make good sites! Perhaps the answer is to stay at a location that I like in Tucson and pay the extra to visit the parks and spend a couple of days or so doing the astronomy. I can also take up the offer to camp for a spell at the observatories.

It is still my goal to set up a telescope for forum members who want to look at Quartzite when I attend. My only concern is having people look after happy hour.  ::)

"The whole point of full timing for me is not having to be burdened with owning, maintaining and paying taxes on land. We don't really own the land anyway, we are just renting it while we are here on Earth."

Now I understand why I don't understand some of your posts.  :)

Although I love Catalina SP, Gilbert ray would be far better for astronomy. Catalina is too close to areas with lights, although Tucson's light ordinances lessen the effect.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom