1985 Itasca In-Dash Air Removal. Compressor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack D

My problem is two-fold. One is the squealing fan/alt belt when the fan clutch engages and, Two; Stopping the fan clutch from engaging every few minutes at highway speeds. Removing the AC cooling condenser should do this (problem two).

We've had nothing but trouble with fan (clutch type) coming on every few minutes, then off, then on again while driving down the freeway. The belt squeals with the fan on. When tightened it will stop squealing for a time, but it soon returns. Last time I started it, the fan squealed until the fan clutch disengaged. Looking at the front of the radiator, all I see is AC cooling condenser. It completely covers the radiator, except for a small strip across the top. The  in-dash AC has never worked and we've never missed it. Running the roof air is sufficient here when AC is needed. I see no reason why the in-dash air can't be removed and discarded.....except that, I believe, the compressor is the belt adjustment. Is there an idler pulley available to replace the compressor? What if I leave the compressor and just disconnect it so it doesn't engage? What other problems do you foresee that I may be missing?

I've already removed and discarded the air pump and replaced the fan clutch. The alternator is working and bearings seem OK. The fan/alt belt is new. The AC/PS/WP belt does not squeal.

To answer your question; the fan clutch should have a single wire going to it. Just disconnect the wire to stop the ac from cycling. Be aware that the air conditioner will probably start to leak as the seal drys out and will fail.

Belt dressing usually is more effective in stopping squeals, if the beltvis properly tensioned, than further tensioning. 

Ernie

We've owned it for about 4 years and the problem of squealing fan belt is not a new one. I've posted about it before: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,66028.msg606283.html#msg606283 and that is when I removed the air pump (it had a bed bearing) and replaced the fan clutch.

As I travel at highway speeds, the fan clutch will engage, and disengage on about a 5-10 minute cycle. It never overheats. Wouldn't be a real problem except for two things. Fan belt squeal and airplane propeller noise when engaged. Since it comes on in frequent cycles, it is very annoying. A PO added an electric fan in front of the AC cooler (so I suspect he had the same issue), but it has no real noticeable effect on cooling or fan clutch cycling.

Since the in-dash AC does not work anyway, removing the AC cooler/condenser seems like a logical solution to the frequent cycling of the fan clutch. There should be enough air passing through the radiator at highway speeds to keep it cool so the fan clutch would not be engaging nearly so often...if at all. Removing the compressor is another matter. An idler replacement would be nice, but I wonder if just disconnecting it wouldn't work just as well. At some point the bearings in the AC could go out....then what?

Do you know what the "normal" operating cycle for the fan clutch should be?  If that's not normal cycle times, I'm wondering if there isn't some underlying reason for it running so much.  Is the fan clutch an OEM part?  Is the fan itself an OEM part?  If the PO installed a different fan and/or clutch that the engine wasn't designed for, that could be part of your problem (too much load for the belt.)

Our last boat had a four cylinder Westerbeke diesel with only a 1/2 inch belt.  When I put a high output alternator on it, I would have a squealing belt that I could stop with a weekly application of belt dressing.

John Canfield said:
Do you know what the "normal" operating cycle for the fan clutch should be?  If that's not normal cycle times, I'm wondering if there isn't some underlying reason for it running so much.  Is the fan clutch an OEM part?  Is the fan itself an OEM part?  If the PO installed a different fan and/or clutch that the engine wasn't designed for, that could be part of your problem (too much load for the belt.)

Our last boat had a four cylinder Westerbeke diesel with only a 1/2 inch belt.  When I put a high output alternator on it, I would have a squealing belt that I could stop with a weekly application of belt dressing.

I've wondered that myself. I don't know if it is the original fan. The clutch is a NAPA replacement for this vehicle. I've not tried belt dressing. Perhaps it is in my future???

Our last outing, the first 80 miles, or so, on I5 no squealing. Stopped to pickup my son in Newberg, OR and it squealed everytime the fan clutch engaged. After we got through Portland, we stopped in a parking lot and tightened the belt some more. Problem went away for the rest of the trip (Lake Takhlakh in WA) and the return trip. No squeals. That's about a 6 hour drive each way. When we got home, it sat for a few days then I started it to go into town to dump the holding tanks and as soon as I started it, it squealed until the clutch warmed a bit. Then it stopped. It never squealed again during our trip to town and back (36 miles). It seems to be a borderline case.

Back
Top Bottom