Ford Triton V10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jves

I have 2800 miles on a 2015 Triton V10 engine and notice a black sooty color on
the insde of the exhaust tailpipe. By comparison,the tailpipe on my 1985 F250 with the 460 engine has
tan/brown color insde the tailpipe.
IS the black sooty color telling me something I should be concerned with?
Many thanks for any info.

With that milage your engine isn't even broken in yet.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you "baby" the engine when your driving?  That may be the problem. Alot of that soot comes from unburned fuel,  If your just "lugging" the engine your not doing it any good.    The V-10 is actually considered a "small block", unlike the old big block 460 which was a low revving engine.  A lot of people "baby" the V-10, trying  not to rev it too high, thinking that their 'saving' the engine.  But it was designed to be a high rev engine and makes its best hp and torque  at the higher revs.  Don't be afraid to run it when acclerating, like on an interstate on ramp, or when going up a grade.
If you' still worried, take it to any Ford dealer equipped to handle oversized veh's and have them check it out via a code reader.  It may not be throwing a code, but it might be able to detect a problem. 
Grumpy 

IS the black sooty color telling me something I should be concerned with?

Yes. As Grumpy says, it's likely sooty from unburned fuel (unless you have a problem where it's burning oil). So babying the engine, could be a problem, but it could be the engine running too rich, though the computer is supposed to keep that from happening. But since it's under warranty, a Ford dealer is a good bet. But not all of them can handle RVs -- hopefully you can find one nearby that can.

jves, there is one other item that might be causing the soot.  Had the same type residue on my 2007 Mustang GT.  On the Ford engines (and probably most others) there is a fitting that runs from one of the valve/cam covers, usually passenger side, to the intake plenum.  Its supposed to route oil vapors back into the system to be burned with the fuel.  With the Mustangs we bought aftermarket fittings that had a filter incorporated so the oily vapors would be cleaned of the oil.  It does work as every oil change you unscrew the filter housing and find a few tablespoons of oil, which you than empty and reinstall the housing.
I'm sure the V-10 has the same set up and the oil vapor that is not burned has to go somewhere, so its out the pipe.  Again, nothing to be concerned about---look at any newer Mustang with a few miles on it and you'll see the same build up
If something is really wrong, the system will throw a code, like an O-2 sensor, air-fuel mixture, EGR, ect..
Grumpy

Definitely should NOT be sooty, whether running too rich or burning oil. Almost sounds as though the engine computer (ECM) never gets to run in the closed loop mode, where it monitors the air/fuel ratio and adjusts on the fly to maintain a perfect mixture. It's a new engine, so get it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis.

I went out and looked and I have a bit of blackness but nothing I'd call soot...5,900 miles.

Many thanks to all you gearheads. Looks like a trip to Ford for diagnosis.

Run it at high RPM. It's an OHC engine. I have a 4.6 and spin the hell out of that little motor pulling my TT.

Back
Top Bottom