2 wire thermostat ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windrider

???
Hi everyone.I'm Randy and my wife is Dawn. We just purchased a 2004 Gulfstream Streamlite. We are fairly new to the rv scene and thru some unforeseen circumstances we are permanent residences of this cute little 26 ft box. ( Don't despise small beginnings). Of the many issues I have encountered thus far one is the thermostat. It is a Coleman mach unit with a furnace. Seems the t Stat is for only the furnace because it only has 2 wires. Red and white. All the post I've read say their units control dual fan speeds which mine has (ac) and heat. Can I covert to t Stat that controls both ac and heat? My controls are mounted on the AC unit. Separate Suburban t Stat mounted on wall. Thanks.

It can be converted. I had the same thermostat but A/C and heat both on the Coleman. But Now converted to digital thermostat.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,67918.msg620650.html#msg620650

So, just to be clear, your AC has the controls on the unit itself?  Then to answer your question, no.  You need a different control panel for the AC unit to remotely control it.  Tyen you would need to figure out how to get wiring down from the AC unit to where the thermostat is  not an easy choir.  Leave it alone is my advise.  You should be able to find a better thermostat for the furnace though.

Welcome!!!

You will not likely be able to convert to a thermostat that controls both the AC and the furnace without changing out the AC units themselves as well.

As long as you can reach the controls on the roof AC units, why would you want to do that?? (As a 'BTW', those combo Coleman thermostats are often the subject of discussions here with problems of their own. I had to replace an old one on my trailer and went through 3 new ones before I got a good one. Thank goodness they were replaced on warranty as they are very pricey!!)

Many have changed them out with certain models of Hunter (or other brand) thermostats because of repeated problems. As an example, the change Mopar is referring to was to a unit that was already controlled by a combo thermostat but this is not what you seem to have.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will leave it be. Have not fired the furnace. Not sure how to actually. No on off on t stat. Doesn't  seem to matter what position it is on either. Got a little box heater that does fine. Thanks again.

You said there is a separate T-Stat on the wall.. You mean separate from the Furnace or do you have two wall 'stats?

One advantage of multiple T-Stats... Where I am now the nights can get a bit....chilly, and the days,, HOT... with a Furnace set on say 65 or so and an A/C set on 75... they come on as needed (in theory) .. In practice that might not be a wide enough spread.

Friend has 2 T-stats on the wall and the A/C has it's own controls on unit.. he wondered about the #2 T-State.

Turns out it is for the HEAT STRIP in the A/C.. Turn A/C on (Fan mode) and adjust for WARMTH.

windrider said:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will leave it be. Have not fired the furnace. Not sure how to actually. No on off on t stat. Doesn't  seem to matter what position it is on either. Got a little box heater that does fine. Thanks again.

If you don't mind a suggestion, I would suggest you learn how to fire up the furnace... just in case... You may get stuck someplace without electricity and need heat. 

It is relatively simple, turn on the propane, perhaps light the stove to be sure the propane is present and to remove any additional air from the line, turn off stove. Raise the temp on the thermostat to a temperature higher than the ambient temperature. The furnace fan should kick in after a short delay. The furnace should light. If it does not, turn down the thermostat and wait until the fan goes off and then try the procedure again. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to light the first time.

Just my humble suggestion!!!

What make and model of furnace is it?  Some of the more basic models have a pilot light that must be lit before the furnace can operate, but most of them are DSI (direct spark ignition) and fire up automatically. However, that type would usually have an on/off switch at the thermostat to prevent an undesired start-up, e.g. during storage.

If you don't have a manual for furnace operation, one can usually be found online once the make and model is known.

Wow! What great information and great people on this forum. Only have one t stat on wall with no on off switch. AC is manually controlled on ceiling unit by two knobs. I believe the furnace will have a pilot light like my oven. Have not checked it out because it is still hot here in south Florida.  Focusing on what was a perfectly good awning that spring tube was broken in half by a freak Florida thunderstorm . Ordered new parts from Dometic. Be here tomorrow then try to assemble fabric, tube and arm and mount it on my rig before moving up the road Saturday  :eek:

yes there is an access panel for the fan blows out underneath the oven. thanks for all your help :)

haven't checked to see what model but I will I've got too much going on now to worry about the heat but I will at some point need it when we move further north

Back
Top Bottom