Dropped Verizon data plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clay L

We have had a Verizon data plan for many years and were very happy with it. However since we were grandfathered with an unlimited 3G plan we were subject to throttling and after we left the road and settled down - no more to roam - the slowdowns have been bad. I was planning on going  to a 4G plan with Millenicom. After we got new laptops last summer we have been using over 5 GB per month each and the Millenicom plan would have been best/cheapest for us.

Then I realized that now being stationary we have the option of broadband cable. I checked the reviews of two available locally - Charter and Century Link - and neither  had good reviews. Then I looked into Hughes 4Gen and wasn't interested in it.

Finally signed up with Charter (internet only) - $39.99 per month for the first year increasing to about $55 after that. No data cap and speeds of 30 Mbps download.

I was able to connect their Cisco modem to my CradlePoint  MBR95 with an Ethernet cable and my network was on-line with no problems. CradlePoint said it was a plug and play setup and it was.

I have done speed checks with a number of sites at various times of the day and consistently get 29 to 30 Mbps.
They said that after the end of November when they drop all support for analog TV that the increase in bandwidth will allow them to increase download speeds to 50 Mbps here in the valley.

Since Millenicom has been absorbed by Verizon that option would died on the vine.

I sighed up with Netflix a few days ago and the movies stream/download seamlessly with no delays/skips at all.  :)

Clay L said:
We have had a Verizon data plan for many years and were very happy with it. However since we were grandfathered with an unlimited 3G plan we were subject to throttling and after we left the road and settled down - no more to roam - the slowdowns have been bad. I was planning on going  to a 4G plan with Millenicom. After we got new laptops last summer we have been using over 5 GB per month each and the Millenicom plan would have been best/cheapest for us.

Then I realized that now being stationary we have the option of broadband cable. I checked the reviews of two available locally - Charter and Century Link - and neither  had good reviews. Then I looked into Hughes 4Gen and wasn't interested in it.

Finally signed up with Charter (internet only) - $39.99 per month for the first year increasing to about $55 after that. No data cap and speeds of 30 Mbps download.

I was able to connect their Cisco modem to my CradlePoint  MBR95 with an Ethernet cable and my network was on-line with no problems. CradlePoint said it was a plug and play setup and it was.

I have done speed checks with a number of sites at various times of the day and consistently get 29 to 30 Mbps.
They said that after the end of November when they drop all support for analog TV that the increase in bandwidth will allow them to increase download speeds to 50 Mbps here in the valley.

Since Millenicom has been absorbed by Verizon that option would died on the vine.

I sighed up with Netflix a few days ago and the movies stream/download seamlessly with no delays/skips at all.  :)
Where is "here in the valley"?

I have used centurylink at my home and we use Verizon for our iPad when traveling. I like century link but it is a bit slow and I have been looking at replacing it. Options seem to vary by location a lot and I would like to increase our download speed to something more reasonable than the 20 mps advertised, 12 mps actual.

Used to use AT&T DSL at home,  Never had cable.. have a friend who cusses Charter all the time just so you know.

One of the campgrounds I feature has multiple Charter accounts..  They have constant issues as well however at the CG I strongly suspect overload applies.

Interesting that you were throttled on your Verizon plan.  I've got an unlimited plan with Verizon (was Alltel before) and use 10-12GB monthly and can't say I've ever been throttled.  Doesn't mean I haven't, just never noticed it and I'm pretty sensitive to poor service.  But, I couldn't drop Verizon now if I wanted to.  I use it when traveling, but it is my only choice at home other than satellite and I've been there and don't want to go back.

Molaker said:
Interesting that you were throttled on your Verizon plan.  I've got an unlimited plan with Verizon (was Alltel before) and use 10-12GB monthly and can't say I've ever been throttled.  Doesn't mean I haven't, just never noticed it and I'm pretty sensitive to poor service.

Verizon only throttles 3G unlimited plans, not 4G customers.

MikeFromMesa said:
Where is "here in the valley"?

I have used centurylink at my home and we use Verizon for our iPad when traveling. I like century link but it is a bit slow and I have been looking at replacing it. Options seem to vary by location a lot and I would like to increase our download speed to something more reasonable than the 20 mps advertised, 12 mps actual.

I thought it was in my signature (wrongly). We settled in Palisade CO - abuts Grand Junction.

IIRC a Verizon grandfathered plan is either 3G or 4G. You can choose by the amount you pay , 19.95 or 29.95 per month without loosing the unlimited status.

Jeff said:
IIRC a Verizon grandfathered plan is either 3G or 4G. You can choose by the amount you pay , 19.95 or 29.95 per month without loosing the unlimited status.
My plan is 3G data only (was grandfathered before there was such a thing as 4G) and it sure as heck costs more than 19.95 or even 29.95.  Try $60.

A lot of changes are coming to the cable business next year. Comcast is buying Time Warner and swapping out a bunch of service areas with Charter. Basically Charter will get most of the middle of the country and Comcast will take the coasts. I currently live in a Charter system but use to live in a Comcast system. Comcast is suppose to be coming to my new home in early to mid 2015 and I cant wait. Comcast currently offers unlimited data at 100+Mbs. I know a lot of people hate Comcast but Charter is so much worse I cant wait to get Comcast back.

I rarely get speeds over 20 Mbs even though I'm paying for 30. I also have a lot of issues with  my Cable TV, spotty success ordering on demand, tiling and general bad picture quality. Customer service is slow it can take a week or more to get a service appointment. I have had no problems with their phone service.

Back
Top Bottom