Questions about a 1980 27' Taurus Bunkhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdodd444

I just bought this trailer, and I am looking for some to help me answer some questions.  The person I bought it from was the 2nd owner and not very knowledgeable.  The Owner's manual is not very specific.  If anyone has a knowledge of this model, please respond to the following questions:

1) The white electrical outlets work fine on 115volt, but there is a brown outlet in the back bedroom which does not work.  There is no battery installed, so i was thinking this might be a 12volt outlet?

2) The refrigerator does not work.  It is a dometic LPG/Electric refrigerator.  There is an access panel out side behind the refrigerator.  There was a power cord from the refridgerator that was unplugged.  There was an outlet I plugged it into, but it still did not work.  The other 115 stuff was working fine.  I plugged it directly into an outside extension coord and it did not work.

3)  I located a 115v fuse panel below the back sofa, but I have not found any 12volt fuses.  Any ideas on the location?

I will limit my questions to these for now.  I appreciate any help to a newby.  Thanks.

Brian

bdodd444 said:
....there is a brown outlet in the back bedroom which does not work.  There is no battery installed, so i was thinking this might be a 12volt outlet?

Brian, what does the plug/pin configuration look like? If it was a 12V outlet, it would look like a cigarette lighter outlet in a car. If it's a 110V ac outlet, check to see if you have any outlets that incorporate a GFI (ground fault interupter). A GFI outlet will protect a number of other outlets and, if it trips, none of the outlets on that circuit will be working. A GFI outlet will have a small pair of buttons on the front. If one of them has popped out, press it to reset it.

1) The white electrical outlets work fine on 115volt, but there is a brown outlet in the back bedroom which does not work.  There is no battery installed, so i was thinking this might be a 12volt outlet?

Is there a battery compartment anywhere on the trailer?  Or a battery frame and leads on the trailers A frame behind the coupler and hitch jack?

Thanks for the replies.  It is a regular 110 outlet, not like a cigarette lighter.  I checked the GFI at the kitchen sink outlet, and it is not tripped.  i'll keep looking.  There is a battery compartment behind the hitch.  Currently there is no battery.  I am really stumped trying to find the 12v fuses.  Thanks again for the replies.

Brian

bdodd444 said:
Thanks for the replies.? It is a regular 110 outlet, not like a cigarette lighter.? I checked the GFI at the kitchen sink outlet, and it is not tripped.? i'll keep looking.? There is a battery compartment behind the hitch.? Currently there is no battery.? I am really stumped trying to find the 12v fuses.?

Well for starters, get a battery, a cheapo maybe, since we are just exprerimenting, and hook it up.  Now start tracing the positive lead -- the negative should be grounded to the trailer frame.  See where it enters the box of the trailer body.  Look at that point on the inside, under beds or couches or at the back of compartments if need be, and see where it goes inside the trailer.  Sooner or later it must lead to a fuse or breaker board.  Check those fuses for 12VDC current with a digital multimeter (get a Radio Shack ten buck cheapo.  Replace the fuses that need to be replaced.  Check near that site for a 120VAC charger unit. Check its output when hooked to 120VAC to see if it charges the battery.

Now try your fridge again.  The controller board may require the 12VDC.  Be sure that the trailer has propane and the propane lines have been purged of air.  Lighting a stove usually does most of that.  If the trailer has a furnace, it probablly runs on 12VDC also.  See if it starts up with the thermostat set sky high.

Once you have traced out everything, and everything seems to work more or less, consider getting a decent pure deep cycle battery to replace your trial unit.

Thank you Carl.  I'll follow your advice.  I was going to get a battery anyway to run the water pump, so I'll get aon it.  Thanks again.

Brian

Well if you are, forget about the cheapo and get a decent one.  Be sure to check out the charger immediately tho.

Back
Top Bottom