Yes, You Can Take It With You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seb

One of the biggies about vacating a permanent nailed-to-the-ground residence was the wine cellar.  Like everyting else involved in adapting to full-time motohoming, compromises had to be made.  The bargain here was a thirty day supply versus the three year supply. Oh, well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 214
What an awesome idea and project.  Congratulations.  We use our dishwasher, but this is definitely something I'm going to investigate.

Jim

seb said:
One of the biggies about vacating a permanent nailed-to-the-ground residence was the wine cellar.  Like everyting else involved in adapting to full-time motohoming, compromises had to be made.  The bargain here was a thirty day supply versus the three year supply. Oh, well!

Nice idea...what are the cylinders? Are they glued together? Wedged?

Cylinders are 12" by 4" white PVC thin wall drain pipe. 
I glued them together in 3x3 sections. 
There is a 1" by 1/2" piece of wood screwed to the front of the cabinet bottom to create a slant to keep the bottles in place.
Each 3x3 section has a 1/2" wood screw in the bottom three rows through the plastic to anchor it to the wood and cabinet.

Great idea and nice work!

I built a somewhat similar vertical bottle rack for the 1 liter and 750 ml bottles we like to carry. It fit along the back wall of a wardrobe closet, basically unused space. Just a single row of vertical tubes for bottles that we only get out once in awhile anyway.

Great project!

We had a built in wine cooler in our last house, for the coach the wine cooler are cardboard case boxes under the entertainment cabinet.  We've discovered we can haul about four cases of wine under there  ;D  When we went to Alaska in 2006 Canadian Customs was a little surprised to hear that we had about 20 or 25 bottles of wine aboard, but no problem in the end.

We found that with the adjustable shelves in the Maytag residential fridge you could adj. them so that the wine BOX would fit perfect and you could pour the wine right out of the box without removing it from the fridge!

The only problem I see is that of keeping the bottles cool, but that can be somewhat alleviated by keeping the inventory low and replaced frequently, with the best bottles used immediately.

I have not yet seen an indoor RV hydroponic farm, but am awaiting a dedicated individual's creativity. Possibly start with eliminating one couch. I really like my homegrown tomatoes and I'm not sure I want a bumper garden.  :)  Possible justification for an extra 5 feet of RV length.

RodgerS said:
The only problem I see is that of keeping the bottles cool, but that can be somewhat alleviated by keeping the inventory low and replaced frequently, with the best bottles used immediately. ..
I like the way you think.  ;)

I'm working on plans for the next step....
The trailered.... fully contained.....mobile.... homebrew beer cave.. ;D
Yes indeed.... you can take it with you. Just working out the details..

Attachments

• brewhouse.jpg
    brewhouse.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 78
Indeed heat can be a problem.  However, some things to know about wine or at least the way I approach the subject. 
1.  30 bottles in this motorhome isn't going to get the coach very far down the road.  There isn't any bottle in there that is going to see 90 days of existence. 
2.  Most wine produced these days need not be stored for aging.  Bottles that need to aged are usually very high end and not approved for Winnebagos.  Save that stuff for the Prevost class.
3.  Regularly shopping for wine, especially at Costco, gives life purpose.

^^ yup! ^^

Several years ago I researched domestic and French wines for drink now or hold (Wine Spectator.)  In every case all domestic wines were drink now or within six months, many French wines were hold for a year or more.  My takeaway - buy it, drink it  :D.

Neat idea Seb!! The resourcefulness of RVers never ceases to amaze me. I've always said, "If something's broke and you need it to work, call an RVer." (Or was it the other way aound? :D )

Kev

Keeping the wine cool would be my concern too. I would consider putting a layer of bubble insulation on the back of the cabinet as an added layer against heat intrusion.  I myself have been looking for a place to install a small wine fridge, like 6 bottles maybe.  Then refill as needed!

We carry boxes; Malbec and Chardonnay, most commonly Black box brand, with about a dozen bottles of better wine for occasions.  Bottles in the cabinets under the sideboard in the living room and boxes at the end and side of the bed. One box of Chardonnay in the fridge. Works well.

Ernie

I think the only problem with things like growing tomatoes, mobile beer brewing, and such is movement. I also worry about a bottle jiggling out and ending up broken on the floor as a couple of tossed bottles might break open a cabinet door.

Some things, like me, don't travel well which is why I figured out that a real queen bed would work, but these fold out beds or drop down thin ceiling or thin sidewall Murphy beds probably won't work for me beyond one or two nights.

Saw a humorous video of a guy towing a glass garden shed mounted on a trailer. The whole thing collapsed after jiggling it a couple of miles.

Doesn't take much to argue for a diesel MH suspension after the age of 50 or 60. But, yes some people are beyond mortal.

My wine cellar consists of 2 cases of "Two Buck Chuck".  And don't pretend you don't know the brand.  Bye, it's a domestic....

JimGeorgia said:
My wine cellar consists of 2 cases of "Two Buck Chuck".  And don't pretend you don't know the brand.  Bye, it's a domestic....

I didn't know what it was so I googled it and found this:  http://www.cnbc.com/id/101910833#.

Back
Top Bottom