Wrapping up homework (2008 Armada LE & Passport 3220BH) - need insight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTripletDaddy

Hey folks, new to the forum.  Could use some help with a potential TV/TT combo.  Have the TV already and am considering buying the TT.  Tried to do my homework to minimize everyone's time investment, but am concerned about safety based on some conversations with local friends who have been towing for a few years.

Here we go.  My TV is a 2008 Nissan Armada LE w/ the Tow Package.  The TT I'm considering is the 2015 Keystone Passport 3220BH.

I've found a couple of other posts on the forum, and externally, (see below) that address wheelbase concerns respective to TT length and experiences with the Armada as a TV, but nothing that directly pairs the two together.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25899156.cfm

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=26747.0  (I like Carl L's explanation)

http://www.timberman.com/rig/sway.htm

Here are some stats for the TV and TT.

2008 Nissan Armada LE 4x4 w/ Tow Package:
- Max tow capacity = 9,000#
- Wheel base = 123.2"
- Curb Weight = 5,302# empty
- Max Payload = 1,497# passengers/fuel/cargo
- Gross Weight = 6,799#
- GCWR = 15,100#
- Tongue load max = 900#

2015 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite 3220BH
- Trailer length = 35'5"
- Shipping Weight = 6,040#
- Max Cargo = 1,460#
- GVWR = 7,500#
- Base TW/GVWR ratio (before anything's been added) = ~10% (target is 12%)

At a minimum, I'm planning on adding both an Equal-I-zer 12K or 14K anti-sway WDH and a Tekonsha P3 electric brake controller.

From a weight perspective, I've compared several things.  Even if I maxed out the max gross weight on the Armada (fuel/cargo/passengers) and maxed out the GVWR of the 3220BH (6,799# + 7,500#), I'd be at 14,300# (less than the 15,100 max).  At 7,500# for the TT, I'm 1,500# under the 9,000# tow capacity max on the Armada.  If I were able to balance the cargo in the TT appropriately and reached the 7,500# max, a 12% TW/GVWR rating would lead to a tongue weight of 900# (the max supported on the Armada).

So, I fully plan on filling rear tires to max pressure allowed when towing.  I plan on going to the scales to make sure my weight is as evenly distributed as possible.  In essence, I fully intend to make it a safe towing experience.

I think my biggest concerns are:

- I live in Northern VA and plan on taking trips to the Appalachian Mountains and through the mountains in PA.  I'm just concerned about being able to safely get up and down hills while not killing my engine or getting 5mpg.  Do I need something like an F150 with a longer wheelbase and higher max GVWR?

- Even though the Armada has a relatively short rear overhang and I'm planning on using the Equal-I-zer anti-sway WDH, knowing that I'm not going to be on 100% flat roads all of the time, am I crazy for towing a 35'5" trailer with a 123" wheelbase?

Thanks in advance for all responses.  BTW, finding a better matching TV (probably used) isn't completely out of the question, as we really love the setup of the 3220bh (especially the dual rear bunks).

Well you are in a very similar spot as I was/am.  My truck is rated for GCWR of 15,000.  While my trailer LOADED and weighed is about 6500 (don't remember exact) my current GCWR was at 13,300.  We just traveled to Texas from Wisconsin 2500 miles round trip.  Truck did OK but struggled up the hills some and really did NOT like the head winds.  I have a tranny temp gauge and with 15 mph head winds holding 60 mph my tranny got to 208 and that was at 1400 feet.

While everything is within the "specs" the problem was pulling that big box behind me.  Knowing what I do now (and refused to listen too from people on here earlier) I would either have gotten a much smaller trailer or upgrade the truck.  I have the Equal-I-zer hitch 10k which was plenty and worked great.

IMO you would be asking for trouble doing this.  I will be replacing my truck by spring with an F-350 diesel because we will be doing a lot of travel out west.  While I can't say I ever felt "unsafe" on this trip I did feel way under powered.  I netted 8.6mpg for the entire trip.  If you do love the setup of the trailer like you say (and we love ours) get a bigger truck and enjoy.

You don't mention the all important RAWR,(rear axle weight rating), nor do you list the other cargo in the Armada such as fuel and passengers. It also appears that your figures come from the manual or the factory website but the real weight limits for your particular vehicle are posted on a sticker on the truck, usually on the drivers door sill.

Not trying to bust your chops, just letting you know that there may be less capacity left than you think. If it were me I would upgrade the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom