New Route to PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

We just completed a quick trip to PA for our granddaughter?s 10th birthday.  It?s actually next week but this is the only weekend that worked.  Anyway, we took a new route.  We?ve been taking I-85 to I-295, overnight in Fredericksburg, VA then taking US 15 to US 30 east in Gettysburg, PA to Kinzers, PA.  This time we went up the Shenandoah Valley taking NC 86 to US 29 to I-64 to I-81, overnight in Quicksburg, VA, continuing on I-81 to Chambersburg, PA where we picked up US 30 east to Kinzers.  What a beautiful drive with all the Fall colors.  I think this is now our go to route.  In case you are wondering we chose these routes because they both avoid Richmond, VA, D.C. and Baltimore, MD.  We are taking the same trip in a few weeks but with a slightly different destination.  Then again at Christmas.  Happy RVing everyone.

Another nice thing about taking I-81 through Virginia is that Rt11 parallells 81 all the way to past Carlisle Pa. if one would want to get off the interstate and sightsee a bit. You may want to use an RV specific GPS though. If I rememember correctly, there are parts of 11 that are small, tight and rough. Beautiful ride through there though. My wife and I take long weekends just to ride through the West side of Virginia.

Except when snow is forecast, we have used I 81 through the Shenandoah Valley for the same reasons.  Spring, Fall or Winter all present unique sights.  However, we have noticed that there are significantly more 18 wheelers than there used to be.  We will be heading down I 81 the second week of December as we are heading up for one last hit with 4 of our grandkids in Ottawa before we head to Florida.  If you have time, side trips on the Blue Ridge, or visits to one of the caverns are well worth the time.

Ed

Rene, we leave here on US Thanksgiving, and intend spending 2 week ends with everyone in Ottawa, I'll have some time on my hands, so I might bring my hunting rifles along and see if I can find some terrorist vermine to shoot.  But likely they all be well underground by then.

Ed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom