lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

On a 5er setup do you need to install a plug for the trailer lights in the bed or can you plug into the one at the bumper that comes standard with the tow package?

I run my wire under the the tailgate and use the bumper connection. ( I bought a pass thru tailgate.) Did it that way because I was too cheap to put in a bed connector and the truck came prewired for the bumper connection. On my other truck before I got the tailgate, I had to lengthen the wire or it would pull out in a tight turn. Still was cheaper than adding a bed connector.

No problem using the bumper connector as long as it's the same size, number of wires, and connected properly, i.e. brake light lights when you step on the brakes, left turn signal turns on left turn lights.... and so on. Not all plugs are wired the same, so you may have to swap a couple wires - not a huge job. As was stated, make sure you have plenty of slack, supported so it doesn't drag on the ground. And don't rely on the mechanical connection between the truck and the trailer for the ground. Make sure you have a wire connection between the two.

I personally prefer the connection in the bed of the truck.  I hook up, check hitch connection, hook up emergency brake cable, plug in lights, close tailgate.  It gets me under there looking to make sure everything is done correctly.  Receptacles are under twenty bucks.  Do it the way that best suits your way of doing things.  You can use a test light to check how things are wired on your factory plug.  Good luck.

First few trips, I draped the cord over my tailgate, but now have an inbed connector. I noticed that the cord was starting to rub the paint on the tailgate. Wasn't hard to do, opened the connector on the bumper to see which wire when to what pin, then bought a new 7-pin connector and 7 different color 14 guage wires. Wired up the connector, drilled a hole in the center stake pocket for the connector and threaded the wires thru it down thru the fender. It came out within 4" of the existing wire bundle, and used automotive crimps to parallel the new connect wiring to the existing. Took maybe an hour as I use a voltmeter and checked each wire before they got crimped. Total cost was about $25.

Larry

I prefer it in the bed of the truck near the tailgate on the driver's side.  I back up, plug up and then apply trailer brake while hooking up.  Hook up breakaway and check to make sure the fifth wheel is locked and close tailgate.  Just the way I do it.  What suits you the best is the way you should do it.

I saw a plug installation kit the other day that just plugs into the existing wiring with a tee that will then serve both plugs. I think that an in the bed installation will be what I go with. Thanks, Paul

janpaul said:
I saw a plug installation kit the other day that just plugs into the existing wiring with a tee that will then serve both plugs. I think that an in the bed installation will be what I go with. Thanks, Paul

Where did you see that? Who makes it?

http://www.reeseprod.com/  That is the Reese web page. Go under products, then electrical , then fifth wheel harnesses. that is one of a handfull I found. You can also find others under a google search, as I am sure there are probably quite a few makers of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom