DIRECTV....requiring another account???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayzie

We recently purchased an new MH which came equipped with a Winegard satellite dish, so we decided to purchase a Directv receiver.  ( It took weeks to find the model that could be used for a mobile unit mostly because we were given lots of bad information).  We finally got it to work on the last night of our 12 day trip (we think) but now we received a notice from DIRECTV that we need to register the mobile.  It had been connected to the network via calls to DIRECTV tech.
Now I have received a packet in the mail about a "Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent", and something about needing to have separate accounts for my home and mobile set ups.  Has anyone else received this?  Is this another way for them to charge even more for the service.....Is this necessary?

No, you can have the 2 receivers on the same account.  We have one HD receiver in the house and another SD in the RV, and DTV knows about both of them.  What you can't get on the RV receiver is the distant network stations (locals from either the east or west coast) and you will lose your local channels when you get a few hundred miles from home.  Depending on the model Winegard antenna, you can have either a SD or an HD receiver in the motorhome.  All you pay for is the second receiver charge, just as if it were in the house.

You only need to sign that agreement IF you are trying to receive national local channels, ie CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC at $2.50 each. You can get all other channels without agreement. I have been able to get them to change my address ZIP code with each stop. I usually only change when I set down for a week. I was able to contact the "distant network services" department. Even after they changed ZIP code I had to go thru setup in Menu for DirectTV. It was not easy and I don't know if it will work again. Nothing was said about another account so far.

Yes, you can change your local channels if you're going to be out of your home area for a while.  Don't contact the distant network services department, but just ask to change your local channels, period.  Give them the new address and the change can be done in a few minutes.  No setup is required on the receiver, the new local channels will appear in the guide immediately.

The problem:  Network programming (your local TV stations at you home) can only be delivered to those near the stations with an exception (Of course).  I mean if you are in, for example, Tennessee, An ad for a car dealer or politician or restaurant in say Los Angles, not going to be of interest to you (Save for the humor content of many of them).

SO, the FCC says the Sat companies have to SPOT BEAM Network stations.  (What is a spot beam?  Well, think of a spot light in a theater, it lights up only a small PART of the stage,  Same with a Spot beam, it lights up only PART of the country  A spot light **IS** a Spot beam.)

IF your house is in a place where you can receiver TV with an over-the-air antenna. then by law,  The Sat company has to spot beam

And if you drive the RV outside the spot.. You will be in the Dark and they can not deliver the ads for your local politicians to you (NOTE: Ads are the product for television stations, NOT the show, but the Ads) (And I am picking on Politicians cause it's that time of year again).

Now if you live in the middle of "There is no receivable Television here without Satellites" or if you are mobile (RV, Semi truck, Boat) then the receiver qualifies for something called Distant network Service... This is your Network (ABC, CBS, NBC Fox, and so on) stations but from Los Angles or NYC area.  These cities are NOT on a spot beam but rather a ConUS beam (Contential United States) they "Floodlight" the entire stage.

(Can you tell I once did a light tech gig in a theater, part of my college life, every theater needs an engineering student and an electronics tech, I was both).

Now: what is above is the rules...

MY recommendation for someone who has no account is to register the RV and use the "SPARE" receivers in the house, thous avoiding all the faldarol above.

But many just call Direc and say "I moved everythign to Georgia for the Winter" or some such and change their LOCAL.

We have an article on RV satellite tv in the forum library that explains your options see http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/SatelliteTVForYourRV.pdf

You need a separate account if you want access to the Distant Networks feature, which makes you independent of the local satellite spot beams mentioned above. However, you may find it less expensive and just as convenient to use local channels and perhaps share service with a home receiver.  But there are several decision factors that quickly get complex if you want to receive HD channels, or get local weather & news, or if you don't already have satellite service at home. I suggest reading the article and then asking further questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom