Windshield replacement - find a good deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodomalo

Hello

I am getting a little bit nervous about how to find a company thats replacing our broken windshield.
Does anyone know a nice company which is doing that for a fair price in Las Vegas area (could also be 2 hours around...)

It seems I can get the windshield itself ordered from coachglass.com for 300$ + shipping (I already have that offer and they are ready to ship)
The labor itself should be done in 2-3 hours they told me (which I would suggest should cost around 300$)

Anyway, I do not find a shop which is willing to do that work, or can do it...

The only offer I got so far is from is from INTER MOUNTAIN GLASS, and they are asking for 1270 $
Do they really want to earn so much on the windshield?

I would appreciate any help.. (I am not from the US, so thats why I am a little bit lost with that repair)

Thanks
  Bodo

Try Findlay RV at 702-435-2500, ask for Brandi in the Service Department, I am not positive that they do windshields, but do have a full service body shop, so they very well might do windshields. I just checked their web site and it appears that they do windshield replacements. Please check back and let us know what you find out.

Have you checked your insurance?  Most policies have glass coverage and your insurer may have a recommended glass company to do the work.  All it will cost you is the deductible, if any.

You didn't mention whether it is a wrap-around one piece windshield or a two piece, but yes, $1200 is not an unusual amount. A half-windshield on my coach is about the same price and takes a half day to install. On the other hand, some others may be as little as $500, depending on the individual glass cost and complexity of the job. I had one half done on a previous coach for $400, but that was 10 years ago.

Contact RV Glass Solutions and Duncan Systems for quotes. Both will arrange for an installer in your area and ship the new glass to them. RV Glass also has their own shop in Phoenix.

http://www.rvglassexperts.com/
http://www.duncansys.com/rv-windshield-replacement

A place called Nomad Glass in LV advertises RV windshield replacement, but I know nothing about them.
http://www.nomadglass.info/locations/lasvegas.html

I have never heard of Nomad Glass in Las Vegas, so I looked them up on the web, they appear to be an outsource business, just as Duncan Systems is. Findlay RV is the only local business, with Las Vegas roots that has a full service Body Shop. The OP asked for a local or close to local source. That is not to say that an outsource business will not hire it done correctly...I'd rather do business locally.

In Las Vegas Business Owners such as myself are a little touchy when it comes to outsourcing here in the valley. Keep our local business local...

I believe it was Duncan Systems that we called last spring to replace our 2 windshields.  They sent a local glass installer to do the work and they handled the insurance claim as well.  All we had to pay was our deductible.

Ned said:
I believe it was Duncan Systems that we called last spring to replace our 2 windshields.  They sent a local glass installer to do the work and they handled the insurance claim as well.  All we had to pay was our deductible.

I'd be interested in who they would outsource to in the Las Vegas Valley. This is a large city, but a very small community, and an even smaller local business community. I would probably know the business.

For the OP's information, Findlay RV, the local service business, does all the insurance work too.

Thanks to everyone

No insurance (my deductible would have been 2500 anway...)

I asked Duncansys already, their price for the glass was ok, but I have to arrange the work with a guy named Dave (Simpson glass) by myself... Maybe I can
even try and ask Dave to install me the glass I order from guardian (manufacture) directly.
Duncan wants 550 for the windshield
Guardian only 295

Will try asking the other 2 companies you mentioned too.

The national companies are glass merchandisers and just arrange for local shops to do installation. The bottom line cost is for you to figure out and decide what is best. I don't think anybody in LV is actually making windshields, so everybody is outsourcing the glass.

Any local shop with "RV" in their name is likely to be overpriced, so look for glass comnpanies and maybe mobile techs that do that sort of thing.

RV Glass Solutions does have two of their own shops, in Coburg, OR and Phoenix, AZ. Duncan has a few too, but most areas are outsourced.

I had Nomad Glass in the Phoenix area do one half of our two piece windshield about 2 years ago and it was $1100. One installer came out and did it himself. He did a very good job.

Bill

Did anyone of you hear from "Simpsons Glass" (Dave) before?

I am just curious, would a company do the work if I order the windshield and ship it to them?
I could get the material for 550 $ incl. shipping and package.
Labor alone should be 250$ ( 2 hours...?)
Would make 800-850

But all offers I get from the companies like RV GLASS or NOMADE Glass are 1200$

Is it a no-go to order the windshield by yourself if you can get it for a cheaper price?

You might want to ask the installer if you bring your own glass, will they guarantee to replace it if it gets broken. I would be very surprised if they will.

Bodomalo,

What kind of motorhome do you have, class A, or class C. Make??

Bill

We're going to have one half of our windshield replaced soon and the quotes we are seeing are about the same as you're getting.

What you have to understand is that no two MH windshield replacements are exactly the same. I have heard some real horror stories about the installer had to rework the body components around the windshield because it was done haphazardly at the factory during initial assembly.

The other thing is IF they screw up, they want to recoup the cost of the materials (including a new piece of glass) to finish the job properly. Its a thing you really cannot do without for safety reasons and the cost of a ticket for operating a vehicle with a damaged windshield (especially if its in the drivers field of vision) isn't cheap either.

To further confuse you, there is also a big difference in where you get your glass. Not all windshield manufacturers are equal in quality.  I found out after I replaced the windshield on my Rav4 twice within 6 weeks time through the same company. I took it to the dealer the 3rd time and they told me a lot of those places use cheaper manufacturers who follow the minimum standards that they can get away with. Dealer replaced the windshield and that was the end of it.

The installers may install one that you bring with you, but they probably won't guarantee the work. So even if they mess up the installation and it breaks, they won't be liable for it. 

I got my windshield replaced for 725 USD in the end.

Work was 225$
Guardian original windshield costs 290$ at guardian.com + shipping and crate
This will be a Guardian part # GDNRV-0099  $ 294.43

We re-used the original molding as it was still in perfect shape
The offers for 1200 also include a "install kit" for 45$, which is of course never necessary because the company has a install kit.

For that price of 725$ the install company could have broken the windshield and I could have ordered a second one to be up at the 1200$ quotes.
(But how big is that chance that they will break the glass during installation...1 out of 1000 ? At the 2nd time they should get it right and you pay the same price)

The only thing I had to do is checking the glass for cracks when it was delivered by the freight company.

The companies offering the 1200$ quotes are doing nothing else than hiring a local company for you, you can call that local company by yourself if you find out the name. Price is the same.

I understand that it might be easier to have the full service for the higher price and that you do not have to care about anything, get an appointment at the replacement company, make 2-3 calls more and be at home to check the windshield when they deliver it. Bu it saved me between 400 and 450$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom