Shurflo 5901-0211 water pump stopped working fix or replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20FromNow

Our Shurflo 5901-0211 Smart Sensor water pump just stopped working.
They are about $400 on Amazon which sucks, but I'm probably going to get one ASAP
...because my wife seems to be interested in showering soon.

Symptom: For the past few days, I've heard the pump run a little bit even if no water was running.
This is a new development that concerned me, but we just made sure to be extra careful to make sure the pump was off.
I was concerned about a leak, but I've looked around and didn't notice anything.

When the pump stopped, I replaced the pump fuse just to make sure, but that didn't help.
So, I'm guessing some seal in the pump failed and allowed water to bleed back through the pump.

I'm curios if I can refurbish it myself with a few parts and have the old one as a backup.

If I figure out how to fix this pump, I'll document the procedure in this thread.
This community has been a real blessing to my wife and I, and I'll do my best to return the favor.

Amazon lists it as unavailable. It also gets very poor ratings for being unreliable and failure prone. Maybe you should look at another replacement.

A couple of years ago Shurflo was replacing the 5.7 water pump for free with another one.  I think is was the 4.0 model.  You should call and see if your pump qualifies.  The procedure was simple.  The lady asked for the model and serial number and mine was covered.  I think I either sent her a picture of the label or the label back instead of the entire pump.  I just happened to throw the old pump away the other day.

There was lots of trouble with the variable flow pump as I recall and they quit sending out direct replacements.

It is worth a call. 

Use google to find the contact number of Shurflo.

If the pump internal seal (check valve) failed, it would run continuously because it could never build pressure to reach the shut-off point (the pump switch is activated by water pressure). If the pump doesn't run at all, it is more likely that power has been lost or possibly the motor failed. If the pump was running continuously, it might fail after a dozen or so hours.

Your wall switch(es) for the pump trigger a controller relay, which in turn operates the pump. The pump controller works by switching the pumps ground wire, so check to see if you have +12v to the pump. If so, jumper a temporary ground to the pump ground side and see if the motor runs. If it does, the controller is bad.

If the pump is indeed bad, I suggest an Aquatec variable speed pump instead of the Sureflo Smart Sensor.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If the pump internal seal (check valve) failed, it would run continuously because it could never build pressure to reach the shut-off point (the pump switch is activated by water pressure). If the pump doesn't run at all, it is more likely that power has been lost or possibly the motor failed. If the pump was running continuously, it might fail after a dozen or so hours.

Your wall switch(es) for the pump trigger a controller relay, which in turn operates the pump. The pump controller works by switching the pumps ground wire, so check to see if you have +12v to the pump. If so, jumper a temporary ground to the pump ground side and see if the motor runs. If it does, the controller is bad.

If the pump is indeed bad, I suggest an Aquatec variable speed pump instead of the Sureflo Smart Sensor.
Thank you for the diagnostic instructions. I'll dive into it as soon as I get caught up on some work.
I truly appreciate your help. I'm a very competent DIY with a house, and a novice with a car....but it's taking me a bit to figure out all these systems.

I just received an email from a Shurflo support person.
They informed me the pump has a 3 year warrant, and we're just inside the window.

They are going to replace my pump under warranty with the current model #4158-153-E75.
That is awesome!

Two things you can test fairly easily are the power supply system (Switches, relays and the like) and the pressure switch.

To test: you will need a test light (A volt meter can be used but a test light is so much easier) and ---Possibly--- A flashlight, and again possibly a screwdriver (to open an access panel) on my coach you do not need that.

Access pump, find power wire to pump, attach clip from test lamp to any known good ground, if possible on the pump body.

Remove power lead from pump and touch metal clip on the end with tip of test light,, BRIGHT LIGHT = Good switch)

Re-connect.
Remove lead to motor (or pierce it with tip) Bright light = good pressure switch (Do with no pressure in line).

If you have bright light on both tests but NO pump operation and the ground lead is clipped ....elsewhere.

Find a groudn point on the pump body and touch the probe to it (or pierce the pump negative wire)  light = bad ground. (note the absence of the word BRIGHT)

Back
Top Bottom