Netgear Router Update Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weewun

Have a NetGear DSL MODEM/Router (DGND3700v2) which I could not update the Firmware or change the Settings.  I use it when I am here in FL as it is a strong enough signal for me to provide WIFI for my Canadian neighbors when they arrive for the Season.

Googled the Net and contacted NetGear Support.  Tried everything mentioned on the Net and NetGear Support would not talk with me as the Device was over 90 days old.

Make a long story short I downloaded Chrome and everything updated correctly and I could change the Router Settings.

I run Widows 7 and IE-11.  IE-11 communicates properly with the Internet thru the NetGear Router so I am not going to pursue further.

Are you saying that in trying to communicate with the router interface using IE V11, you were unable to update the router?

After using  Chrome to handle this communication, everything then worked as expected?

IE has a lot of strange restrictions you can enable or not and found under "Internet" in Windows. They are being skillfully hidden better and better in later versions of Windows and perhaps the Windows Firewall. I have never used IE myself but have used Firefox for many years with no problems communicating with my various routers over the years. I also have Chrome installed to experiment with as it is on my tablet and I want to be come more familiar with it.

Thanks for providing for your Canadian neighbours down there. That job falls to me when I arrive for, heaven forbid!!, my wife's IPad and for visitors in our neighbourhood when close enough. Running Windows 7 and DD-WRT firmware in my Linksys router....

For many years, IE was the de facto standard browser, but it's now the least standard of all the browsers.  It's not uncommon to find web sites that don't work with IE but are just fine with Firefox and Chrome.

Ned said:
For many years, IE was the de facto standard browser, but it's now the least standard of all the browsers.  It's not uncommon to find web sites that don't work with IE but are just fine with Firefox and Chrome.
What I encountered is in trying to use IE10 + with Windows 7.  IE10 had its problems, but IE11 with Windows 7 was downright cantankerous.  My DW's Win 8 laptop doesn't have a problem with IE11.  But, when I backed off to IE9 on my Win 7, I kept getting "not supported" messages from Google's websites (do I detect a little feud here?).

IE 9 is considered unsafe so therefore not supported by Google (and other well run web sites).

My experience has been that certain web sites are written to favour IE and Microsoft's variety of HTML, maybe inadvertently. When used with Firefox or other browsers, they fail to present the pages correctly until the writer takes into account the different "standards".

I found something that IE can do that Chrome can't. With IE, I can right-click an image and choose to send the image in an email.  With Chrome, I have to save-as and then open a new email and insert or attach the image file. I miss that option.

Molaker said:
I found something that IE can do that Chrome can't. With IE, I can right-click an image and choose to send the image in an email.  With Chrome, I have to save-as and then open a new email and insert or attach the image file. I miss that option.

There's probably an extension for that.

This is why I keep several different browsers installed and updated. (Safari, Chrome, IE, Firefox and Chromium(on Linux) )

I had a similar problem with a Hitachi Media Drive.  Except it would not work with Safari or Chrome until I configured it with IE.

Molaker said:
I found something that IE can do that Chrome can't. With IE, I can right-click an image and choose to send the image in an email.

Interesting.  Firefox will do that, too.  I imagine it won't be long before Chrome incorporates it.

Back
Top Bottom