my first winter weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I'm near Portland OR.  I was going to winter by Phoenix, as usual, and had planned to drive there this weekend.  However, my neighbors sold their condo in Florida and need to go back to close on the sale and load up their furniture to bring here from Tampa to an apartment.  So I'm staying to cat sit, which I love doing.  As long as I'm already here, and I really like this park and this area, I figured I'd stay and try to RV someplace colder than Phoenix this winter. 

I have three heating systems.  I have the outside water hose and riser covered with foam and foam lined foil.  Tomorrow I'll get a styrofoam helmet at Home Depot for the top of the riser where the handle sticks up.  CampingWorld recommends a cup of pink antifreeze in the holding tanks, which I can do; although, they're both well insulated and can be heated.  I prefer the antifreeze approach.  Somehow, cooking the stuff in the holding tanks doesn't appeal.

I don't use fresh water in that tank.  It's always empty.  It's inside under the couch.  I assume water sitting in the water heater, which is actually inside, will be OK. 

The next three nights will be down in the upper 20s, and after that we're back up in the 40s at night for now. 

Any other winter prep?

Vehicles were serviced Thursday.

--pat

P.S.  Got some neat new long underwear, down jacket and vest.  Yeah, yeah, I know, it's Portland, not Juneau.

Pat,

If your fresh water tank is inside your coach so it will not freeze fill it.  I say this because if your outside water hook-up hose ever freezes you will be without water unless you have your fresh water tank filled.  Water heaters usually do not freeze.

JerryF

Jerry:

Glad to know the water heater will likely be OK.  I had thought to fill the fresh water tank in case the supply freezes.  However, I was concerned it might sweat under there.  I'll make sure I have the valve closed and put some water in it.  Actually, somebody recommended filling the fresh water tank at any long stop in case the park water becomes unavailable.

--pat

The fresh tank is rarely the problem, nor is the water heater (which after all, is heated!). The risk areas are the water lines and valves near the skin of the RV, where they can possiby get cold enough to freeze. They are small enough to chill down below freezing and ice can form in areas where there is no room for expansion, e.g. up against a closed valve.  You can nearly always avoid freeze-ups by running some water occasionally during the cold period. That brings warmer water through the lines and also breaks up any ice crystals that may have been forming.

If you have a fridge with an ice maker, yoou need to be concerned about the ice maker water line, which usually comes from behind and is exposed through the outside grill of the fridge. Late model frdiges may have a built-in heater on that line, but older ones do not. It's a 1/4 inch tube and can freeze easily if the fridge doesn't run much (ther fridge sheds heat into this are, which is why it is open to outside air). On a cold night with the fridge doors closed all night, the fridge may not run much and the outside grill area can get pretty cold.

What Roamer said about the Ice Maker... Last winter I spent the cold period where it was warm, save for a quick trip to Salt Lake City in the middle of Blizzard 2006.  I mean it was over six inches deep when I pulled into the lot and the fridge (once it warmed a bit) looked like Niagra Falls (Twin falls) one inside, one outside,

The solenoid for the ice maker had broken.

Right now I have drained back that line, bulew it out and have it air charged

And I'll keep it that way till I get to a place where I'm fairly sure it wont' freeze

Then I'll open the valve and let it work

I have suggested to Damon that they suggest to Dometic that that valve be relocated INSIDE the RV

Glad you touched on the fridge, because I was wondering.  This is only a couple years old and has no ice maker.  I've been meaning to get into the manual and see if they have any recommendations. 

I think the inside pipes are safe.  The furnace blows right across the hall from them, and I leave one small drawer open slightly to allow warm air in there. 

As for the water heater being warm, it isn't.  I almost never use it.  Great bath house and paper plates make it unnecessary.  On the rare occasion I need a cup or two of hot water for washing something, I microwave it. 

--pat

Back
Top Bottom