Selfies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I can certainly understand why "selfies" have become so popular. But lately I have been seeing a number of people wandering around Disney World with "selfie stick". A selfie stick is a stick usually between one and four foot long that the camera is attached to. Some have a remote shutter on the end of the stick. It makes it very convenient to take a selfie with this stick. However what I don't understand is why anyone would feel the need to carry one of these things around all day at Disney World. I mean how many photos do you need of yourself for one day at WDW? It is so easy to ask someone to snap your photo, and Disney had dozens of photographers in every park who are happy to take your photo with your camera. Why would some one want the inconvenience of carrying a stick around with you all day long?

I rode Splash Mountain yesterday and some guy in the front was taking selfies the entire ride. Not a video, he just kept taking shots of himself.

Attachments

• Selfie.jpg
    Selfie.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 152
I couldnt walk around Disney World all day without a walking stick (or wheelchair).....Maybe combine the two.

BTW..I am too ugly for selfies

I rode Splash Mountain yesterday and some guy in the front was taking selfies the entire ride. Not a video, he just kept taking shots of himself.

Maybe he was actually taking stealthy selfies.... Where he acts like he's taking a selfie, but hes really focusing on the people behind him.

Caryl

I made a GoPro holding stick out of a walking cane. not necessarily for pointing at myself but different angles or for example holding the camera higher or out of a window beyond ones reach. Works great for me.

Judging from the picture, the dude is a Millennial.
The needs of his facebook page clearly take precedence over any sort of enjoyment of the experience..... ::)

BinaryBob said:
Judging from the picture, the dude is a Millennial.
The needs of his facebook page clearly take precedence over any sort of enjoyment of the experience..... ::)

In many respects IMHO this behavior is not much different from that of the Japanese tourists who always want to have themselves photographed in front of whatever they are seeing, be it the Grand Canyon or the White House.  The focus appears to be on "look at me" rather than "look at what I am seeing"

docj said:
In many respects IMHO this behavior is not much different from that of the Japanese tourists who always want to have themselves photographed in front of whatever they are seeing, be it the Grand Canyon or the White House.  The focus appears to be on "look at me" rather than "look at what I am seeing"
I would give anything to find out the reason behind this obsession.

While I think this lad may be just a tad stuck on himself, I have to admit to owing a "selfie stick," too.  You only have to have the experience once of asking someone to take your picture, only to see your camera running at full speed away from you.  Never happened to me, personally, but it is an all too common experience in some tourist areas.

Facebook, Twitter etc. have created a generation of self adoring narcissists.

The only proper defense is to photobomb them.  Being so self involved they will never notice anything going on around them until it's too late.

I've never understood the 'stand in front of it' thing either.  I have a feeling it's to prove that they actually went somewhere interesting.

Good idea for a portfolio though, just photographs of people taking selfies!

inscop said:
While I think this lad may be just a tad stuck on himself, I have to admit to owing a "selfie stick," too.  You only have to have the experience once of asking someone to take your picture, only to see your camera running at full speed away from you.  Never happened to me, personally, but it is an all too common experience in some tourist areas.
The trick is to only ask people you are pretty sure you can out run. :)

Re: photobombing...

Thats when you go with a well timed "finger up the nose at the brain tickling depth" along with a well practiced "Ive almost got it and if I tilt my head, pull my lip up a little further and open my eyes superwide it will open it up just enough" facial expression.

Works every time... 8)

Caryl

I spotted this story this morning and it seemed to be right on point: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/23-year-old-sylwia-rajchel-falls-death-trying-take-selfie

The trick is to only ask people you are pretty sure you can out run.

at my age finding someone I can out run and that has the ability to operate one of the new cameras is slim.

Al Juby said:
The trick is to only ask people you are pretty sure you can out run.

at my age finding someone I can out run and that has the ability to operate one of the new cameras is slim.
That's okay. Who wants to see a picture of a wrinkled, stove up old man, anyway? :) :)

I often get the request, 'Will you take my picture?', I always say sure, then will lift my camera up and take their photo.  Mixed reactions. 

Back
Top Bottom