Camper and Trailer Issues at RV Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4x4Dodger

I am considering buying a Truck Camper and a small trailer. What is the deal with hooking up two units in one space at most RV Parks? Do you have to pay for two? Can you split off of one hookup? The combined electrical load of the two units would not exceed the load on an average 33 foot trailer with all the amenities.

Any Thoughts

Thanks in advance

It is not likely two 30 (or 50) amp outlets will be available for plugging in on each site unless you can plug into an empty neighbouring site. Using the usual 15/20 amp outlet and the 30 (or 50) amp should be no problem. I imagine whether plugging in two vehicles is acceptable will depend on the individual campground owners rules, especially on those sites where you don't pay separately for electricity.

Since most camp sites hjave a 50 and 30 amp outlet, you could get a 50 to 30 adapter if needed.

Thanks for the quick replies. But maybe I should clarify my point a bit. Is there a cord or adapter that I can run both units off of one 30/50amp plug in (like a Y adapter) Of course I understand I cant exceed the total amps but this should be no prob.

As for the RV Parks I agree it's an individual thing but has anyone run into this particular issue and what was the outcome? How did you handle it?

It's usually no more than six per site and you pay more after 2. I don't think if you aren't going to exceed 50amps you should be good on one site. Cheaper to pay for 4 more guests on one site than pay for two sites and 2 extra guests.

You could get one of these and connect 2 30A power cords to one 50A outlet.  I would be leery of plugging into both the 50A and 30A outlets on the same pedestal as they may be fed from the same feeder.

I used to tow my travel trailer with a "B" class conversion van.....I got asked more about how many people were with us rather than about the 2 units. That said, we didnt camp in the van when we had the trailer with us.

Any good electrician can make you up a "Y" pig tail with one male and two female. Then just plug your cords into the pig tail. Be careful about exceeding max draw at the receptacle. 

Back
Top Bottom