First Christmas on the Road (help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stormytlc

Hi, 
I am new to the forums and new to the fulltime lifestyle so I apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed before but I am REALLY in need of some suggestions for what/where to do Christmas this year.  All of my family and friends are in "winter" states up north and I am not ready to drive on snow and ice yet let alone deal with freezing water pipes. 

Thankfully though my daughter is on break from college and will be with me for a few weeks.  I want to give her a nice Christmas but I'm afraid with "no snow" and "no family" it is not going to be very special.  We both thought it would be great if we could find a church or children's home that could use help to make Christmas special for kids that don't have much but we haven't found anything yet.

I need some place SAFE,,, NOT expensive,,, NOT freezing, where we can have a meaningful Christmas and not just be stuck in a State Park or RV park somewhere celebrating by ourselves.  I'm looking for something around Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, maybe Texas.  Trying not to drive too far from her college but far enough south to get out of freezing temps.  I've only been on the road 3 months so I don't really know what I'm doing yet.    :-[

Does anyone have any suggestion of where to go or what to do? 

Thanks.

Last year for the first time, we spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Then 2 days later we were on the road to FL from NH for the next 4 months. We arrived in FL Thanksgiving day late morning and was able to spend it with my DW 3 sisters who live there year-round.  On Christmas morning using Skype, we were able to see our grandchildren open their gifts.  We are going to do it again this year.

Just pick a spot as soon as you can. Then check for service opportunities in the area. Salvation Army, Knights of Columbus, and many local charities put on meals for Christmas. Some fill up with volunteers early though (the reason to decide early). If you have a religious affiliation, call a local church and talk to the pastor/priest/rabbi/imam about your options. Another possibility is a local college that does something for the students who can't go home.

I don't know where your daughter goes to school, but does she have friends who can't get home? International students frequently are stuck at school over the holidays. Maybe stay close to the school for Christmas and have her friends come out too.

There are many fine places in that area that you are looking for, Too many for us to list.. Basically call around to campgrounds. If you can find a campground in an area that is big on Christmas it's even better (Perhaps near your daughter's college, many college towns are big on Christmas being as colleges like to flaunt the SCOTUS decisions about government and Christmas  (This, I think is a good thing).

I'm in S.E. Georgia, near Darien, And Christmas here is usually rather nice, but,, ,  Well,,, There are better places. and that is too far east for you.

Hi, 
I am new to the forums and new to the fulltime lifestyle so I apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed before but I am REALLY in need of some suggestions for what/where to do Christmas this year.  All of my family and friends are in "winter" states up north and I am not ready to drive on snow and ice yet let alone deal with freezing water pipes. 
Not wanting to be in the cold and snow made us turn to fulltime.  The one downside was that we had to give up being with family.  The 1st year was the hardest but phone calls to everyone did help.  I have never in in a park/campground that didn't have some type of celebration/get together so you should be fine if you just put yourself out there.

Thankfully though my daughter is on break from college and will be with me for a few weeks.  I want to give her a nice Christmas but I'm afraid with "no snow" and "no family" it is not going to be very special.  We both thought it would be great if we could find a church or children's home that could use help to make Christmas special for kids that don't have much but we haven't found anything yet.
If you are with your daughter, no more is needed.  If you are sharing the special day with each other what does it matter if it snows or not.  While I understand that you would like to be with your whole family, you are celebrating Christmas and are together.  That sounds pretty special to me! 
I need some place SAFE,,, NOT expensive,,, NOT freezing, where we can have a meaningful Christmas and not just be stuck in a State Park or RV park somewhere celebrating by ourselves.  You will be by yourselves only if you choose to be.  Parks/campgrounds have regular dinners,  pot lucks, Christmas caroling, dances and the like.  Even just introducing yourselves to you neighbors can spark something.
I'm looking for something around Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, maybe Texas.  Trying not to drive too far from her college but far enough south to get out of freezing temps.  I've only been on the road 3 months so I don't really know what I'm doing yet.    :-[  An internet search of campgrounds in those areas should turn up something but you'll have to call for pricing, reservations and things like that.

Does anyone have any suggestion of where to go or what to do?  I hope the suggestions given will give you some comfort as that was their intent.  You will be fine if you try and relax and enjoy the holiday.  Hugs, Di

Thanks.

Stormytlc said:
Hi, 

I need some place SAFE,,, NOT expensive,,, NOT freezing, where we can have a meaningful Christmas and not just be stuck in a State Park or RV park somewhere celebrating by ourselves.  I'm looking for something around Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, maybe Texas.  Trying not to drive too far from her college but far enough south to get out of freezing temps.  I've only been on the road 3 months so I don't really know what I'm doing yet.    :-[

Does anyone have any suggestion of where to go or what to do? 

Thanks.

My DW and I will be in that same situation in a year or two. I have been thinking Skype piped thru the TV would be one option. I'm not sure what you have for a rig, but would just parking it for a week down South and driving the toad/tow vehicle "home" for Christmas work for you?

For the last 14 years the wife and I had been operating a USCOE Camp Ground outside of Scott Arkansas and usually there was just a small number of full timers staying with us. Most years there was a pot luck going on at at least one site. Where we all congregated. One of our regulars was a retired minister, and so he was generally drafted to be master of ceremonies. Just ask around with your fellow campers, and you may just get a very nice surprise. If we had a large enough group we used tarps to seal off one of the pavilions, and used heaters to keep warm. Good fellowship and good food, plus Christmas Carrols made for a very enjoyable day. Late comers who came into the park after everything started, were told to come on down to the gathering, and a lot of new friends were made during those get togethers. This will be our first Christmas away from the park in 14 years, as we will be going to my oldest sons for Christmas in Texas.

Just look around what ever Camp Ground where you are staying, you may just get a pleasant supprise.

(There are a lot of full timers away from their immediate families this time of year)

Lee

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom