rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Cat in the RV  (Read 9821 times)

TravelKat

• ---
Cat in the RV
« on: November 09, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
Has anyone used a soft-sided, collapsible pet cage to contain a cat in the RV when the rig is on the road? It seems that a soft-sided crate that's big enough for a small litter pan and for the kitty to move around in, would be a good idea.  I'm just wondering what other people do about their cats when traveling between campsites.  Any ideas would be helpful.  Thanks.

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: Cat in the RV
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
We used one of those when we travelled with ferrets, worked very well.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
I have lived with three cats full time for the last few years and the cats handle traveling quite well, they just go somewhere and go to sleep.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
Our two cats have full access to the back seat of our crew cab tow vehicle. Also back there is the kitty litter pan, two kitty beds, a bowl of water, and some of their toys.

How well does it work? One cat (the rational one) splits her time between sleeping in one of the kitty beds or sleeping on DW's lap. We finally trained her that she can't sleep on my lap while I'm driving.

The other cat insists on sleeping in the kitty litter. It doesn't seem to be at all comfortable, but she has been riding that way for years. At home, or in camp, she uses the litter only for the intended purpose.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
The cat, Shadeux, rides mostly on the couch with Ruby the dog. Other times are spent on someones lap. Spoiled? Absolutely,,,, She has her own special room for the cat box with light and vent fan that blows her terrible #2 odor outside of the RV for 25 minutes after the pet door is activated.
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Boudreaux the dog-Nibbler the squirrel  & Shadeaux the black cat.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
We have a travel trailer, and the cats stay with us in the pickup. One likes to hide on the floor of the back seat. She sleeps under the bed at home so no surprise. The other prefers riding on the passenger's lap. She will sometimes sleep on the bed we made her on the back seat, but she prefers laps.for a long trip, the small kitty littler box goes on the floor in the back seat.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
Our cats just ride where they choose. The current one lays next to my wife in her seat (it's a big "buddy" seat). The previous one slept under a chair. As long as they aren't prone to climbing over the driver's feet I wouldn't worry about constraining them.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:30:42 AM »
X2, Gary
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
Rusty-12 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 22.5#,  leash trained.
Penny-10 year old black & white DLH, 16#, female.
Home---Ocala, FL
Avatar: '58 VW bus, 350hp 327 Chevy, TH400 & '57 Pontiac rear end.

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »
 Our cat doesn't like the trips between camp sites.  She hides wherever makes her feel safest, usually in a cubby between the bed and the nightstand, or under the jack knife sofa.  We leave the center cabinet over the bed open and her bed on one side.  She normally sleeps up there, but doesn't prefer to ride down the road up there. 
 In our Class C, I made a wooden platform to fill the step down to the cab and her box sits there when at campgrounds.  We also walk her on a leash when no dogs are out.  Her new trick is to climb on top of the slide out when it is in, we have been discouraging this behavior. 
 Biggest cat piece of mind:  Instituted set feeding times. We feed her twice a day at 10 AM and 10 PM.  This has worked great to control her weight and most importantly allow us to sleep until past whenever the sun comes up.  Getting woken up at 5:30 AM everyday gets old fast.  Now she eats at 10 PM,  grooms herself and then settles down for the night in her bed.  She will generally not bother us again until 8:30 to 10 AM.
2007 Coachman Aurora 36FWS
2017 Equinox
2006 Mini Cooper S

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
What Gary said. We travel with two cats for up to 90 days at a time. One likes riding on the dashboard, and the other hides in a cat carrier we bring in from the toad when we are moving. They both go to sleep.
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
  My couch/foldout bed butts up to the drivers seat back,I cut a 4 inch round hole onto that end of the bed, rolled the leather covering around the cut-out to give it a finished look.. This hole is my cats security hole when she feels threatened, during normal driving she likes a small desktop near a side window that she uses to watch the world go by.>>>Dan
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Last year Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 11:17:29 PM »
I have Blacks heated catbed beside the bed.  It's right beside the diesel engine and that's where she sleeps while traveling. If we stop she might get a drink of water, the litter box is at the opposite corner of her bed so she can use it.  She is no problem at all.  Once I make my bed up she comes and sleeps on the electric blanket.  Since Sue Anne goes to bed earlier then me I generally end up sleeping on the couch bed.

When we are parked some days she sits on the dash and looks out.

ROFCIBC

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
We have four cats that travel with us.  We close the door to the bedroom, put covered litter boxes (same as the ones in our house) in front of the door, have water & food dishes out and off we go.  They are all "house cats" and each has their way as we travel, from getting behind the couch to being up, around, and all over. No big issues other than "cat proofing" the screens so they can't open them and "make a break" when we are camped.  Been traveling with them (some have passed but we always had four) for 40 years now (ever since we got our first motor home). 

catonine

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »
Ours just piles up on the dash and goes to sleep.  His other spot is behind the couch.  Never know he is there till you stop and then he comes out.  We keep his "box" handy for him but he rarely uses it while vehicle is in motion.  Never had any problems.  We did have a piece of plexiglass cut to cover the bottom of the screen door.  We just Velcro it on all sides and it works.  Been doing that for several years.
John.  2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V.  Towing a 2012 Chevrolet  Colorado.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
I don't think my three cats ever use the litter box when the motorhome is in motion. They just curl up under some seat and sleep the whole time.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »

Roland Schwarz

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:02:12 PM »
Where do you usually put the litter box? We have a 38' Bounder with rear bedroom.
Roland, Linda, LuLu, Mo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
Fenton Mi.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
Where do you usually put the litter box? We have a 38' Bounder with rear bedroom.
My RV doesn't have a shower door and I shower in the clubhouse so I put the liter box in the shower.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

• ---
  • Love your country, but fear your government
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »
Story alert:  First time we took Oliver camping, we just let him wander around meowing in the tow Tahoe with us... he had his catbox, but no go... up until 5 miles down the road, he stepped off my lap, put both front feet on the floor, and peed a hideous warm golden arc up onto my shirt and lap.  Next offramp, I turned around for home, a shower, and new clothes.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
Story alert:  First time we took Oliver camping, we just let him wander around meowing in the tow Tahoe with us... he had his catbox, but no go... up until 5 miles down the road, he stepped off my lap, put both front feet on the floor, and peed a hideous warm golden arc up onto my shirt and lap.  Next offramp, I turned around for home, a shower, and new clothes.
Do you have a video of that? ;D

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
My CATS, when we pack up they tend to run such that as we move the bed slide in they can sneak into the area under it and hide.. Then they got trapped when we put the slide back out (Lots of room so not a problem except they could not get out)..

So.... I ended up putting in a cat portal so they can get in and out no matter the bed's position.

The area is small enough and they are well anchored enough (the floor is carpet and they have full claws) that I do not worry about them there  and they can get to food/water/sandbox (which is located where they can not go flying splat into the windshield it is also covered so they are caged when inside)  Everything is positioned so that if I have to stand on the brakes, they are safe.   So far it's worked.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Julie and Rod

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
We have two cats, one is a great traveler, he sleeps on the back of the RV chair, the other is in his pop up pet tent, he has a small cat box, his bed and a spill proof water bowl. Works great. 

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 11:07:39 AM »
Cat vs gator;

https://youtu.be/je_9QhJFSR0
Hahahahaha, I watched that full of anxiety, not the ending I expected! That's my cats. We have a 100 pound dog who could swallow them whole, yet they completely rule the roost!
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Hahahahaha, I watched that full of anxiety, not the ending I expected! That's my cats. We have a 100 pound dog who could swallow them whole, yet they completely rule the roost!
I completely forgot about that video. One of the advantages of getting old is that we can wrap our own Christmas presents our memory is so bad.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
Our two cats have full access to the back seat of our crew cab tow vehicle. Also back there is the kitty litter pan, two kitty beds, a bowl of water, and some of their toys.

How well does it work? One cat (the rational one) splits her time between sleeping in one of the kitty beds or sleeping on DW's lap. We finally trained her that she can't sleep on my lap while I'm driving.

The other cat insists on sleeping in the kitty litter. It doesn't seem to be at all comfortable, but she has been riding that way for years. At home, or in camp, she uses the litter only for the intended purpose.

Joel

Ditto. Only one Cat now but same when we had two (three once). No cages.. they find their spots and Hunker Down.

Joe
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Sheeka the Dog.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the newest... In charge Cat.

Fyrediver

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 07:14:45 PM »

My cat Smokey was not happy riding in the car.  On one particular trip he was sitting between the two front seats of the car sort of squatting on the armrest.  I found out later that, in fact, he was squatting and peeing in my coffee cup.  The lid was on and he filled it up.  Quite glad I didn't just take a swig! 
Poor Smokey passed away this past winter.  Miss him dearly.
1993 National Dolphin 32D

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »
We been traveling over 3 years with 2 cats in a Class C. While traveling we keep litter box in shower with the door held open. Once at destination we put litter box in cab between the front seats on too of a tarp spread over seats, dash and floor. With a privacy curtain up between cab and coach, cats have no issues and we have no issues with them when using the box. When traveling, one the cats usually on wife's lap, otherwise they are in back bedroom or up on loft bed.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »
My cat likes to ride up on top of the slide so we never put the slide out without making sure we have her. 
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/