best dogs for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey1

I'm sure this has been talked about a thousand times. however the reason for asking is I'm sure there are restrictions in the RV world to a point also. just kind of wondering what type of dogs are for the most part allowed din both RV parks and also state parks etc..  also what size dogs seem to hold up better. I drove o.t.r with a German Shepard and she was Awesome how ever I had issues with where I could take her sometimes but this was in the trucking world at shippers or receivers and I know I didn't have the space for her . I eventually gave her to the friend of my niece and she now has 7 Acers of land and could not be happier. but I don't want to have to give my child up again.

so are small or medium sized dogs more excepted in parks etc...

any breeds that are not dust mops with out handles?
any that don't shed as bad? or how do you control it in a RV?
any other advice you can give that would help will be nice.

Were on our third Lab/Lab mix.  Two of then are were avid campers.  The only issue we had with our current one was a weight restriction where we stayed last winter.  I think generally small dogs are more yippy and tend to attack larger dogs.  Whereas large breeds like Labs are more laid back, and just happy to have people say hi to them

I agree on the yippy dogs. this is a concern of mine. I suffer from migraine headaches so that's the last thing I need if I'm having one of them. 

how do you deal with the sheading issues with the lab?

Try a Westie, Scotty or Cairn terrier.  Shedding is typically minimal.  I've had 2 Westies and they were never yippy.  Bark to warn us, yes, but not yippy.

Attachments

• 2010_05_19_10_05_07s.jpg
    2010_05_19_10_05_07s.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43
barking for a reason I can deal with. actually would praise for this. but barking cause someone walked a mile away im not happy about.
I will look in to them thank you for the replies. and recommendations

We have a miniature schnauzer and he doesn't bark at all. The only time he'll bark is when someone comes in our house. We trained him starting as a puppy not to bark. He's a great dog for camping. Last winter camping in FL for the winter, campers next to us actually asked us if he could bark.

We have a Chihuahua and he is not a yappy boy.  He will bark, someone coming to the door, or UPS truck.  But great traveling dog.  Dogs will condition, there are training aids to help. 

Dave Barry coined a term, 'Portable Dog', this is what you need.

Barking is very trainable. If you get a muzzle and put it on every time he barks you will find he stops barking quickly. If it works for our papillon,  and it did, it will work for any breed!

Ernie

Very easy to start your research on the internet with "best rv dogs," "rv dogs," etc. Should be a better source of information.

Dogs has characters and that is who they are. Their characters/tendencies are enhanced in certain breeds because those traits were selected to develop that breed. Rescue mutts are unknowns and are often given up because they were not suitable for the environment they were adopted into.

Rescue experiments can be difficult for all concerned.

If you chose a herding dog that barks loudly, it is unreasonable to train their bark out of them. Why have them in the first place if you have to muzzle them or have their bark surgically reduced?

Why not, like an rv, try to chose a dog, upfront, that is appropriate to the situation you will put them and yourselves into. Similarly, chose an rv appropriate to having a dog or dogs.

Easy to look up "best dogs for rvs," best dogs for traveling seniors, etc. on the internet.

Her is one list of best traveling dogs for seniors: http://www.pettravel.com/news_traveldogs_babyboomers.cfm

Miniature or toy poodle, Chihuahua, Miniature Schnauzer, Shih Tzu, Pekingese, Maltese, Lhasa Apso, Yorkshire Terrier. Look at that site reference for the details for each breed.

Try a Pooshone, you can train them to park the RV

Attachments

• drive2.jpg
    drive2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 31
He will bark, someone coming to the door, or UPS truck.

My old dog goes nuts if the UPS truck just tries driving by within a block. He ignores the FedEx truck. He must know the UPS truck driver is an ax murderer.

One of the things Ive noticed in looking at campgrounds is that a lot of them have (unfair) breed restrictions on Pit Bulls and Rotties. :(  :'( The plus is that not so many prohibit German Shepherds or Dobermans anymore.

Caryl

Her is one list of best traveling dogs for seniors: http://www.pettravel.com/news_traveldogs_babyboomers.cfm

Miniature or toy poodle, Chihuahua, Miniature Schnauzer, Shih Tzu, Pekingese, Maltese, Lhasa Apso, Yorkshire Terrier. Look at that site reference for the details for each breed.

Those are all imitation dogs, don't they have any real dogs on that list?

the reason I asked this is because I have always had rotties and dobbies and shepherds they were all bigger dogs also have had a few wolf breads in the family over the years. the wolves as much as they are great animals, they also tend to get to a point where they want to run with the pack. and being in a camp ground might be more torcher for them because of this.  Rotts are the best animal I have ever owned. people need to get past their "horror film reality"  realize they are not as mean as they think. it is the person that has trained them to be that way. I have been bit more by my moms palm then I have by any of my dogs even as a untrained pup.

however I also know that fear is out there, and people tend to enjoy their phobias!

I also don't want a animal that will suffer from limited space. so I'm looking now before I get everything together so I don't make a mistake with a animal and I have to give her/him up .  Plans are to find a breed I like and then find a puppy whit in the breed. I have tried the used dog thing in the past and just have never had good luck with them, they tend to have more bad habits then good to train out of them and I don't always have the time to work them out. this might change after I get to know more about what I'm doing with the Full time thing but until then think a pup. will be the better choice.

any and all input is welcome

any good suggestions for dog dishes and bowls for water? in the truck I used a over sized bowl, but have seen some with a lip on them are the better do they work?

Mickey1 said:
any good suggestions for dog dishes and bowls for water? in the truck I used a over sized bowl, but have seen some with a lip on them are the better do they work?

Go to salvation army store and buy a couple SS mixing bowls.  Last for ever, cheap, and way more durable than the cheap crud you buy from pet stores.  We have probably 10 of them at last count.  One each in the car, truck,  two at home and probably 4 in the trailer. 

Some campgrounds will not allow certain breeds of dogs.  In addition our insurance clearly states certain breeds will not be covered.  Their first question is do we own dogs and the second is what breeds.  It might be a good idea to check these things before making your decision, particularly because of the dogs you say you've previously owned which most likely will be on these prohibited lists.  Whether you agree with the lists or not, you're in a position to avoid problems now instead of after finding another furry child to love.

ArdraF

German Shepherds.  Trainable, protective, great with other dogs, love to travel.  Ours is a purebred GSD, 8 years old, has been in a few battles, but only when she was attacked and never hurt her attackers.
\

By the way, I think it is a nice sentiment, but mistaken to ask people to get over their fears of dogs that are known to be a problem breed like pits and rotts. Certainly there are good pits and rotts, particularly if they are well-trained, but that is not generally true. Just try to get insurance on a dwelling when you state you have a pit bull, for example. Just have a problem in an rv park and think about standing in front of a judge telling "Judge Judy" how sweet your dog is. The presumption goes against you.

Back
Top Bottom