best dogs for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best rv dog will have the following characteristics:
1) Will serenade your fellow rvers with their barking at inconvenient times.
2) A big male dog who will pee all over and around your fellow rvers campsite.
3) Hates a leash and will do his best to visit other rvers and their dogs. 
4) Makes real dog big poops, especially close by your fellow forum members. Be sure to wave your forum flag.
5) Excitable and likes to nip and jump.
6) Defenders who like to launch surprise attacks on rvers out for a walk.
7) A big pit bull like dog who really does look scary and lets you know he is ready to go for it.
8) Diggers who leave nice holes around.

Of course, you find none of these dogs at an rv park and owners sitting next to their barking dogs are oblivious - probably due to hearing loss.

Seriously, "the ideal dog for an apartment, condo, townhome, or RV should be relatively small, calm, quiet and easy to clean up after. Additionally, they should have low daily exercise requirement."

Seriously, "the ideal dog for an apartment, condo, townhome, or RV should be relatively small, calm, quiet and easy to clean up after. Additionally, they should have low daily exercise requirement."

Of all those characteristics above, I think the only necessary ones are the quiet calm ones. Im not sure size really has anything to do with anything, nor do I think their need for exercise does either. Even if you're driving somewhere you're probably only going to drive 6-8 hours max. If the dog is cooped up in the RV for a few hours, there is always the option of making frequent stops. Its pretty exciting for dogs to travel because each new place has new scents and new sights.

People who RV don't necessarily sit around the campground all day. In addition, many CGs have off leash dog parks, or you can take them out to the boonies to run them. I've been looking at parks in Florida that even have dog beaches.  8)

Size can be a problem because some campgrounds do not allow very large dogs.  Most campgrounds have some kind of "rules" list and pets usually are included.  Some don't say much except pick up after your pet, it must be on a leash, and no barking.  But I've seen others that are quite specific as to prohibited breeds and size.  We all know about the breed issue, but I suspect unwanted overtures from large dogs can panic someone who is afraid of dogs.  Many businesses institute rules if they ever have some kind of problem and I'm sure campgrounds are no different so, if a camper has been frightened by a large dog, they might institute a size policy.

ArdraF

RogerS,  I take it you don't like big dogs or have had a issue with one in the past?

the post was not to piss folks off, Was simply a way that I could find breeds that might do better in a RV then others. the reality is I know you don't want a great Diane in tear drop pull behind. but hey if you don't mind pulling two one for the dog then go for it.

however I also know that some breeds are not liked by some and that seems to been proven by your lack of love for a rott or pit. its o we don't all have the same opinions of everything. if we did we would not be different. However the point of the post is still the same . just looking for information that might help in making a choice.  ;)

Donn thank you for the advice I will look at our local places and see what I can come up with, just know in the truck Zoey (pictured Below) was knocking it over most of the time for fun lol

the imitation dog list LMAO!! that's funny!! yeah I know a lot of retirees tend to pick smaller dogs and like them to be lap dogs etc... I am not one that likes a lap dog. I want it for a few reasons one is to warn me if needed, also would like them to be the best friend I don't have in the R.v. so I tend to treat my animals well and I have never had a issues with them biting others, but I also have never stepped on one in the middle of the night and had to clean them off my shoe either.  they tend to not be yappy might be due to training im not sure. I prefer them to pretty much not bark at all.

but thank you to all that are posting enjoying the information and tips and tricks.

Attachments

• 46017_424165712461_4369723_n.jpg
    46017_424165712461_4369723_n.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 30
  • 61730_437299592461_993993_n.jpg
    61730_437299592461_993993_n.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 74247_450402337461_6829186_n.jpg
    74247_450402337461_6829186_n.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 30
cadee2c said:
I've been looking at parks in Florida that even have dog beaches.  8)

Fort Desoto just south of St Pete has a dog beach. Be careful walking to the beach. This area is loaded with these sharp spurs that get in between the dogs pads.

We chose ours, French Bull dog for her driving ability. She's proficient with the boat and the MH. Originally bred as lap dogs for lace workers she is content to be a couch potato or to take reasonable length walks. They love people. And you've seen them dozens of times in advertising in the past few years. Ours is getting old at over 9 years now, but we will replace her with another. The temperment suits us just fine.

Ken

Attachments

• Picture Frame Nov 12 184a.jpg
    Picture Frame Nov 12 184a.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture Frame Nov 12 144a.jpg
    Picture Frame Nov 12 144a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 41
I like labs but the first year or 2 they are pretty excitable. They will clear off a coffee table with a couple wags of their tale. Shedding on labs can be an issue. I have an English black lab it tends to be smaller than the American labs and mine weighs in at 50lbs on the nose. Although my dog is a male I think females tend to be calmer and less aggressive and possibly more affectionate.

pml said:
I think females tend to be calmer and less aggressive and possibly more affectionate.

Thats funny.  Both of my kids have female Labs and we have a male.  Our male is way more affectionate and calmer than either of their dogs.  This one is our third Lab/Lab mix and by far the best camper.  When we are out working Max is left tied outside.  He loves to lay in camp and watch people, and chipmonks.  BTW he is also the youngest of the three.  But like all working breeds Labs need lots of daily exercise.  If your not willing to work them, they are not a good breed for you.  No matter what dog you think you want, be sure to check breed charactersitctics before you decide.

One thing I would like to suggest is getting the book "Dog Training for Dummies".  No offense meant; but it discusses many breeds of dogs and helps people to decide what breed works best for them.  Often people choose a dog because: it's cute, my neighbor has one, they see one of TV and the list goes on.  There are breeds that are hunting dogs, retrievers, sporting dogs, non sporting dogs etc.  They have built in "drives" that may or may not work for all people but that is their natural instinct and it often cannot be changed.  Hunting dogs go off to hunt, retrievers retrieve, sporting dogs need lots of exercise.  And some dogs breeds are more difficult to train.

You need to find a breed that meets your life style.  And everyone has their own specifics that they like or dislike in dogs ie small-large; fru-fru or just a standard dog; lots of choices.  If you start with a puppy be sure to get help with training; be consistent and effective.  I could give lots of examples, but the one that was most important to us was to have a dog that was trained NOT to enter or exit a door without being told.  My biggest fear was opening the motor home door and having a dog "fly" out into a busy car/truck situation and get hit/killed.  So our dog has been taught to sit and wait until he is told he can go in or out.

Also, as has been mentioned before, many campgrounds have a list of dogs that they will not allow in their facility.  It's not that they don't like that breed of dog it's that their insurance has stated they will not provide coverage if a dog on the list causes a problem.  We all know great rotties, german shepherds, pit bulls, mastiffs, chows and dobermans who are fabulous dogs; but they are often on the list of banned dogs.  It's just a fact of life.

So, choose your breed that will fit your life style, get good and consistent training and have fun.  Dogs add lots to our lives!

Marsha~

thank you Marsha.
one of the reasons for me starting this thread was to get some suggestions or options and I welcome all info.
like I have said in the past I have owned the "dangerous/scary breeds)  the thing is I didn't want to get one in my MH. and find out it would be a issue going in to the different parks etc..

I agree a trained dog is a good dog. the dogs I have had in the past I have always trained to sit until I allow them to eat and also not to go in or out of a door until I say it is ok  the other thing I have done was to train them to not drink or eat unless I allowed it from anyone.  this came out of having a dog in the past that was feed antifreeze and we had to watch them suffer until the vet finally figured it out and she passed away. I refuse to go threw that again if I can help it.

also was thinking I want more of a medium sized dog this time instead of a bigger breed. however I also want one that is comfortable while traveling.

I will look in to the book for dummies and no offence was taken. I have also been looking different breeds up on line either threw suggestion or seeing them and liking the way they looked etc.. and making sure they will  not be unhappy weather for lack of space to run or my lack of ability to walk them like I could in the past. I have a pretty sever back injury so im more limited then I have been in the past.  used to be a no brainier I knew witch one of three breeds I was going to look at. but the labs are WAY TO ENERGETIC for me right now love them but cant go threw the puppy dumb stages with one . and the others are on list or could be.  might be a fact that is how it is but I still see no point in finding out after I have a dog for a while and find out I cant have them in the only park in the area. how ever I do have the advantage of knowing where I can find a truck stop or a place to park over some that have never lived on the road I have done that for 20 yrs. so I can always find parking just might not be ideal.

This is probably "overkill" but I read the Volhard dog training and attitude testing before we bought our puppy.  I did the testing on the puppy, but on a very limited scale, not anything to the extent that they test.  We ended up with a fabulous dog and I'm not sure the testing did that or we were just "lucky".  But he has had extensive training.  He is also a CGC dog which is fun.  CGC  is Canine Good Citizen, so he is allowed in schools, assisted living facilities etc.

Here is the link to the Volhard website:  http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php

Marsha~

believe it or not my first rott was trained a s a working dog. and we could take her anywhere it was nice got spoiled with that I guess. my brother needed her to be with her for secures he had after a motorcycle accident. so she would let him know when one was coming on and to get safe to deal with it pretty interesting on how well she did

i was training my Sheppard as a ptsd dog, she was doing pretty well.  I could get the basics out of her. and then they would have taken her in to a program for more training. but we didn't get that far.

cgc dogs are fun. I have seen them also in the hospitals for the kids amazing how much they can help ones days.
dogs are truly a gift!

thanks for the web link.

Hi Mickey1, I had a well-trained German Shepard that I trained.

I don't see what dog I have or have not had has anything to do with deciding what dogs are appropriate for an RV. That is why, except for one person in this forum, I weight most of the advice given as personally agenda driven and as imagined expertise confused with average rv experiences.

roger, was not asking for someone to pick a dog for me. was trying to find out if there was a dog that might be better for RV ing. IE. can be in the parks or not, seems to get more restless or not, might not travel well or not etc...

believe me any dog I get will be out of a choice I make and the interaction I have with the dog.  but I also realize that it is up to me personally in the end.

to be perfectly honest I have never worried to much what anyone thinks of my dogs or how they react to it but I also like to be some what curious if I can be. if they discriminate over one breed or another then makes sense to find this out a head of time to make sure I don't get a min pin and they say no you cant have it here because it might attack a pair of slippers or something. or a rott and say no we don't like the fact they will lick you to death in your sleep.

My shepherd an my rotts  were  the biggest clowns you have ever seen but that's because I work with them and I actually own a dog not just co exsit with them . meaning I take the time to train them I want a well mannered dog that can go anywhere with me and will be loveable to anyone that comes up to them. and kids can use them as a chair and the most they will do is lick them or look at them funny for doing it.

However I also like one that is willing to stand between me and anyone that is out to harm myself or a child. I want that protective quality when needed but not a aggressive attitude in general.

as for yours and my convo. about rotts. I don't take it personal that some don't like them I get that hell I don't like all the dogs I have seen either but people think because they are the size of most rats and are trained to bark at everything they are ok. none of my dogs would bark unless you were being aggressive and most of the time they would not pay attention to you anyway. and when they did bark it was barley audible if it was loud it was because it was a warning for that person to back off. not because a person walks by 300' away.

but that is TRAINING not BREED. and that's what I was trying to say. and weather you or anyone else trains their dogs I have no clue. but I can respect someone that trains a dog to be a well mannered dog.  they are pleasant to be around and not freighting at all.  hell any of mine would just soon play catch then bite someone . unless you drenched your self in BBQ sauce you would prolly not even get a second thought unless you tossed their ball

I would also add that now I have a well-trained Min Pin and well-trained is relative to the breed. I would not have taken my German Shepard with me in an rv, nor would I take my now blind Min Pin either who was an ex show dog whose original owners had her voice reduced surgically.

And no I don't have an rv today and won't buy one until I finish my planned international travels.

And this stuff about "real" dogs says a lot more about the writer than any particular breed of dog. Dogs were bred for specific purposes. A German Shepard makes a great guard dog and a Min Pin makes a great ratter. I don't have guarding or ratting problems, but enjoyed both their personalities as companion dogs.

And, most of the dog behavior problems are really people behavior problems from irresponsible and low information owners which is one heck of a lot of owners.

most of the dog behavior problems are really people behavior problems from irresponsible and low information owners which is one heck of a lot of owners.

that says a whole lot right there. !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom