Which Class C should we get?? New to this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allanswolfpack

Hello!  Just joined the forum.  My wife and I have 3 kids ages 5-11.  Looking into a class c (love the bunk over the cab).  We want a new model / bunkhouse.  Can any of you suggest brands / best models...?  I keep looking at General RV's website but feel I may not be seeing all the brands that are out there.

Hoping to hit the open road for 1-2 weeks at a time next summer.

Open to all suggestions!

Thanks!

Look for an RV show near you where you can actually go inside and sit down to see what the motorhome is "really" like.  It's a great way to see features for your "like", "dislike", and "really want" lists.

ArdraF

Thanks..was actually surprised.  We went to the big show in Novi by us and there was only 2 class c bunkhouse models there!  Not really helpful.  :-/

That happens.  It costs a lot for dealers to rent show space, drive the RVs there, and then drive them back to their lot if they don't sell.  Also, if they don't have what you're hoping to see in their inventory, they obviously can't send them to the show.  Sometimes it takes quite a few shows to see the types of RVs in which you're interested.  The smaller one-dealer shows often are disappointing.  Some dealers specialize in certain RV types (trailers, Class C or Class A) and most represent certain manufacturers.  Some specialize in "entry level" RVs which may not be quite as fancy as "high end" models.  It takes a while to see which dealers specialize in what so don't go on the basis of just one show.

ArdraF

I am not an owner either, but am still weighing Class A vs. Class C. From what I've seen so far at the shows, the Jayco Greyhawk Bunkhouse (32-FS model) really appealed to me. I liked the layout, plus it was big enough for our small dogs to come along for the ride. I'd use the bunk area to put their crates. It would leave plenty of space for the rest of the travelers. Its 32' 5" long.

You may want to search RV Trader also, and search Class C models just so you can see whats out there. Good luck with your search.

Don't rule out non-bunkhouse models
I searched for a long time online, dealer visits over lunch breaks reading forums, and even RV shows.

Found that a local dealer had a used bunkhouse class c floor plan on his lot, so took DW there not to buy, but just to start get her in a few so taht we could really start talking seriously about wants and likes.
I liked the idea of bunkhouse so that we had a bed for everyone without making up the sofa or dinette...
The bunkhouse plan just didn't "work"

So we stuck our heads in a few more just for giggles
About 2 doors down on the lot, he had this used 31L Four Winds.
DW went in, and just knew she liked it in about 2 minutes...... the floor plan just worked well for us.
Long story, but we ended up in a new Chateau 31L from a different dealer, same year and floor plan, just a different unit and different colors and finishes....

For us in a very similar situation with 3 kids, the longer sofa and the greatly increased amount of counter space and cabinet space just worked better than any of the bunkhouse models.  We found that so many of the c's are sort of short on the kitchen and living space, limited counters and cabinets, the TV's are in the way, and the plans just feel chopped up.

Ours is a boring floor plan on paper though.... and i never would have picked it, but going in and spending a few minutes made the difference

My only beefs so far
the grey water tank is too small
and we are right up against the weight capacities if all the tanks are full, so what we can tow is very limited.

If I could afford it, I would have looked seriously at the super C version of my floorplan, Thor's 35SK
I don't think that Winnebago makes a super C.... could be wrong

Oh, your question of models/brands....
Also a hands on thing for me....
After we found the floorplan, we found a similar coachman model at a different dealer.  Just felt cheaper to me.... the way the basement storage bins were made, the lack of fenders under the coach, etc..... Not that my Thor seems much better, but it is a little I think....

I suggest make a list with two columns
"wants" on one side and "would be nice to haves" on the other.....
and write in pencil as you keep an open mind while you look around

Allan (assuming that's your name ;)) make sure you consider Class A body design.  They have larger capacities in almost every way compared to a Class C... more headroom, more usable space, more storage, and more tank capacity.  They are no harder to drive, just a little different (since the driver is sitting on top of the front wheels, and not behind them) and it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

My kids are almost the same ages as yours (ranging 5-13), and we outgrew our 35' Class A over two years ago.  Just about any Class C would be really cramped with 3 kids IMO.  Our next RV will be a large TT, after I buy a heavy duty SUV (Suburban or Excursion) with the sufficient towing capacity.  I've found that TT's are generally built for more bodies, and RV features such as slide-outs and bunkhouses were a few years ahead in trailers compared to motorhomes... so I can find a slightly older model of TT (thus saving money) and get the same amenities.

Don't get me wrong, I loved motorhome ownership and will have another one someday.  And in fact because of childhood memories, I was also first looking at Class C's before being convinced by the forumites here to consider Class A's (which I did and purchased ;)).  But we are at the phase of family size/makeup where I'd like to try a TT for awhile.  Just check out all your available options during this research phase, so you can pick the right RV for you the first time around... and not realize 6 months into your ownership that you had something different.

Scotty is right, you should consider a class A. A class C is way to cramped for five people. And the storage space is very limited, the holding tanks are small and there are a lot of compromises. I would also suggest you do not start out buying a new rig. RVs depreciate like a rock. You buy a new one for $200k and drive it off the lot it is now worth $150k. The big problem is new RVers rarely get it right the first time. You really have to live with an RV for a year or so before you know exactly what you want and what you really should have bought the first time. I would suggest a something like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Damon-Daybreak-w-2-Slides-BUNK-BEDS-35-WOOD-FLOORS-WARRANTY-/301384288724?forcerrptr=true&hash=item462be749d4&item=301384288724&pt=RVs_Campers

Then when you go to trade it in next year you will not loose too much in depreciation.

On the class a suggestion, I don't know why more people don't consider a small class a toyhauler with the back converted to a bunkhouse/playroom. I've met a couple of larger families (four and five children) that had one set up that way and it seemed to work out well.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
On the class a suggestion, I don't know why more people don't consider a small class a toyhauler with the back converted to a bunkhouse/playroom. I've met a couple of larger families (four and five children) that had one set up that way and it seemed to work out well.

Ernie

We did consider it.... but the rest of the unit.... ie the kitchen and "living room" always seemed like more of a compromise..... more compressed or "chopped up".... at least in all the ones i was able to see.
I do like the idea though.... and was thinking about dual purpose use of the garage.... hauling bikes or golf cart then folding down beds for the kids..... in fact i saw a few that were ready made for this, no mods necessary.  But Like I said, the rest of it just didn't fit.  Oh, and dual useage made the garage unusable for sleeping for for quick overnights enroute....

And the class A thing.....
My counter issue with them is that most are better suited for singles or couples.... even the huge ones.
larger weight capacities, yes for some but not all.
larger tanks, yes for some
more basement storage, yeah probably for almost every case, but there are some C's out there with more than enough.
more interior space yes and no..... I looked at more than a few smaller entry level class A's that didn't have nearly the cabinet and counter space that my c does..... and I don't feel that my 32ft C has any less living space than a 32ft A..... maybe it even has more since the first 5ft or so of the house is two story!
...and these class A's didn't fit the family as well.

and with the c, tires are cheaper than most A's, parts such as windshields are likely cheaper and more readily available, etc....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom