Planning the best adventure of my life - have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloudyamethyst

Hi there!
I'm new to this forum and to RV life in general. I'm a girl, almost 24, from Portugal, and since there aren't a lot of rv forums here in Europe and my questions are about RV in general I thought it was a good idea to ask here.
So, to start, I had this "crazy" idea of buying a RV and travel around Europe for 1 or 2 years. In Europe it's not that usual to live full time on a RV (specially here in Portugal), that's why it sounded crazy - my family and friends will think I'm crazy for sure. I always wanted to travel for long periods of time but felt always pulled back because of my cat, Nala. I love her and she's really attached to me, so I felt like abandoning her if I just grabbed my things and go travel, leaving her in my mom's house. I simply can't. So in a conversation with a friend I said I would buy an RV and just go live anywhere I wanted, traveling full time. It was meant to be a joke, but I instantly felt pushed towards that idea and started researching about RV life in general. I already did a lot of research but still have some doubts...

I'm planning on starting this dream trip in 1/1 and half year from now because of money and personal reasons. Oh and I must say that I will work as a freelancer while doing it.

Now my dilemmas:
-Most of my dilemmas have to do with my cat. I want to buy a small RV because part of my trip will contemplate big cities, so it was easier to drive and park (and because I want to travel to UK too, though you can do it with larger RVs I guess - it's just easier to have a small one). Will it be enough space for her in a RV around this size? Or would she be unhappy in such a small place?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8058/8286325225_9ca63ddff4_z.jpg (Sorry, I don't know how to post images)
-When in big cities, if I park somewhere and then go outside exploring, wouldn't it be dangerous for her being there alone? Someone could try to break in and though I don't want anyone stealing my belongings, the one thing I really care is my cat. I'm afraid she could run and I'd never find her again (and in big cities, she could easily get killed too on a road)
To this question I though about living the RV in a camp and then go to the cities explore, but most of the camping places around big cities are like 30 to 40 min away by train. I thought about having a bike, but that is too distant still.
-What are the best security systems to prevent breaking in?
-Still about the big cities and cat, how could I be sure to ventilate the RV properly? I mean, living windows open is an invitation to get robbed, right? I know cats are used to and even love hot places, but they still need to be confortable and breathe properly.
-Regarding the fact that I'm a female and there's a big possibility that I will do this adventure alone, would it be safe parking in free spots? What are the precautions I should take?
-If I go explore the cities at night, it's off the question to leave the RV in free parking spaces because of security reasons or it's more like me being paranoid?
-I will probably set up a desktop computer because I work with illustration, design and video and I really need a good working station. Would it be doable in terms of electricity? Should I get a better than normal panel solar system or something?
-Some people have problems with having an AC specially in a small RV. What should I do to assure me and my cat won't fry in the summer?

Last, if you have any suggestions alternative for what I have in mind for a RV, just let me know your thoughts. Or any tips in general.  :)

PS - Im sorry my english is not the best!

Your english is fine.

For A/C you'll want a generator capable of running the A/C, since solar is unlikely to be able to supply enough power, and since you're unlikely to be plugged in all the times you'll want it. You'll also want the generator for running a desktop computer, along with an inverter (full sine wave type) for short periods of running it off the batteries.

I can't help much with your security problems, since I've never been over there, and even in the U.S. the answers will vary from one place to another.

Others likely have a lot to add here. Good luck...

Cloudyamethyst said:
I'm new to this forum and to RV life in general. I'm a girl, almost 24, from Portugal, and since there aren't a lot of rv forums here in Europe and my questions are about RV in general I thought it was a good idea to ask here.
So, to start, I had this "crazy" idea of buying a RV and travel around Europe for 1 or 2 years. In Europe it's not that usual to live full time on a RV (specially here in Portugal), that's why it sounded crazy - my family and friends will think I'm crazy for sure. I always wanted to travel for long periods of time but felt always pulled back because of my cat, Nala. I love her and she's really attached to me, so I felt like abandoning her if I just grabbed my things and go travel, leaving her in my mom's house. I simply can't. So in a conversation with a friend I said I would buy an RV and just go live anywhere I wanted, traveling full time. It was meant to be a joke, but I instantly felt pushed towards that idea and started researching about RV life in general. I already did a lot of research but still have some doubts...
Not a crazy idea at all. I spent ten years full timing it around the US in several different sized RVs. I loved every minute of it. Don't worry about what your family says, they are just jealous.
-Most of my dilemmas have to do with my cat. I want to buy a small RV because part of my trip will contemplate big cities, so it was easier to drive and park (and because I want to travel to UK too, though you can do it with larger RVs I guess - it's just easier to have a small one). Will it be enough space for her in a RV around this size? Or would she be unhappy in such a small place?
I currently live in a 32 foot RV with three cats. They own the RV and I am merely the driver and slave. Your cat will do fine, they are very adaptable.
-When in big cities, if I park somewhere and then go outside exploring, wouldn't it be dangerous for her being there alone? Someone could try to break in and though I don't want anyone stealing my belongings, the one thing I really care is my cat. I'm afraid she could run and I'd never find her again (and in big cities, she could easily get killed too on a road)
Trust me, no one is going to break into your RV and steal your cat. The odds are very low someone will even break into your RV, probably no higher than the odds of someone breaking into your stick and brick.
To this question I though about living the RV in a camp and then go to the cities explore, but most of the camping places around big cities are like 30 to 40 min away by train. I thought about having a bike, but that is too distant still.
There are plenty of RV parks located right in the heart of most cities.
-What are the best security systems to prevent breaking in?
Not something to worry about.
-Still about the big cities and cat, how could I be sure to ventilate the RV properly? I mean, living windows open is an invitation to get robbed, right? I know cats are used to and even love hot places, but they still need to be confortable and breathe properly.
All RVs have ceiling vents and fans. All windows are usually screened.
-Regarding the fact that I'm a female and there's a big possibility that I will do this adventure alone, would it be safe parking in free spots? What are the precautions I should take?
Yes you would be safe. Take the same precautions you would normally take anywhere else in life.
-If I go explore the cities at night, it's off the question to leave the RV in free parking spaces because of security reasons or it's more like me being paranoid?
You are being paranoid. 
-I will probably set up a desktop computer because I work with illustration, design and video and I really need a good working station. Would it be doable in terms of electricity? Should I get a better than normal panel solar system or something?
Just get a normal laptop. It runs on batteries so it is much better equipped for the mobile lifestyle. You  don't need a solar system, laptops don't draw a lot of power.
-Some people have problems with having an AC specially in a small RV. What should I do to assure me and my cat won't fry in the summer?
Only park places that it won't get too hot.

Welcome to the forum.  Wish I was single and 25 again.  I would join you in a heart beat.  Take the cat with you.  Depending on whether it has traveled in a car before or not it may like or hate the experience. But eventially it will get used to the small space and really become closer to you.  You might talk to the cats doctor and ask for some tranquilizers for the first few weeks.
The little bit I have traveled in Europe I never felt unsafe except maybe Paris. If your plans are to stay away from large cities and high speed high ways you should have little to worry about in safety.  Hopefully you will have enough money to travel for a long time.  Once it is in your blood it becomes hard to stop.

Thank you all for the advice and support :D

Larry N., I know nothing about generators. I'll do my research but I guess it's something I'll see after buying the RV if I really need or if I can live without.

SeilerBird, your reply was really helpfull, thank you so much! I guess I worry too much and I'm definitely being over paranoid. It's just that I was raised listening to my mom's paranoia about things, like me walking on the street alone at night (she still freaks out about that, imagine when I tell her about all this). About the cat, I wasn't worrying someone stealing my cat - not that paranoid ahah - but someone breaking in and consequently the cat running out the RV. But I guess I just have to relax and not think in the worst situation that could happen.

Donn, my cat is used to go with me everywhere. She is 3 and already lived with me in 3 different cities, one of those was in Spain, 7 or 8 hours by car from Lisbon, where I live. She freaks out a bit and meows in the beginning of the trip, but after some time - half an hour perhaps - she calms down and just sleeps. She already moved home a lot with me and though she's a little scared of things (new people, new environments) she addapts really well and quickly. The only thing to do now is training her to walk with a leash because I don't want her that much time always confined in such a small space. About large cities, I do plan on visit some, I couldn't travel around Europe and not visit the big cities (specially cause I'm really into Arts and Culture in general), but I guess I'll have to be more careful on those I suppose.

BinaryBob Thanks, I will for sure. Can't wait to make the plan come to life. :)

Since few of us here have lived in an RV in Europe, I'm not sure how relevant some of these opinions are on things like safety, availability of RV parks, European RV equipment, etc. We do, however, have some members from the UK and other parts of Europe, so hopefully they will offer their advice and actual European RV experience soon.

Most of us who choose to travel full time in a motorhome have friends who think we are crazy!  I am a 71 year-old woman who travels alone, so I had arguments from friends and from one of my sons.  He was positive I would crash my big vehicle on the highway the first week and die in an accident.  If that did not happen, surely I would be assaulted and raped, or would fall and get sick a long way from home.  He called me every night for the first month.

Well, it is over two years later.  Now he barely calls me at all, other than to ask where I am and how am I doing.  And I have not had anyone bother me or steal anything from my motorhome or campsite, even though I often leave stuff out or some of my storage compartments unlocked. (If they want to steal my sewage hose or my water connection, I figure that is their problem!)  I don't know how likely it is you will have things stolen in Europe, but I think if you stick to small towns, you will be very safe.  Small towns are pretty safe just about anywhere!

I have seen cats and dogs living with their owners in much smaller RVs than the one pictured.  You will have to worry about heat, however, so that may mean leaving roof vents open and possibly windows.  It is easier to leave them in campgrounds if you can find campgrounds with electrical hookups so you can leave air conditioning running.

One thing that I noticed is that you mention visiting cities. Most people in the U.S. with motorhomes focus on visiting national parks and outdoor places that are more in the country. If you want to visit cities, you might want to camp in more rural places and take buses or trains to the city. 

I am so excited to read all of the amazing comments here.  I want to travel with my chihuahua, so I feel quite the same as Cloudyamethyst does and am happy to read all of these positive responses from the experienced RVers.  I think that I came to the idea of RVing due to my love of traveling (I don't care where I am going, as long as I am going) and my desire to bring my dog with me.  I was originally thinking of traveling abroad from the US, but due to the quarantine entry issues for pets in many international places, this has gone on the back burner.

RVing has become the new plan, and I am very excited about it.  I have been watching RV shows on tv to see what's available.  Thanks everyone for providing such an informative place for people like me and Cloudyamethyst to inspire us to move forward.

When I was 20 years old I spent about 8 months on the road all over Europe in a VW camper.  I'm 75 now and currently planning on returning to Europe in a very large RV to live as a resident of Portugal and travel to other parts of Europe where I've lived off and on throughout my life.  The RV I'm looking at for this adventure is very large by European standards and I'm a bit worried now about all the import rules, both import taxes and conforming to European regulations of various types.  I'm in the confused stage there. Also worried about buying something too large for European roads.  Maybe we can help each other if you haven't already started or abandoned your idea in the meantime.

Whatever you've chose, I highly support your idea.  Those six to eight months earlier moving around Europe were some of the best times of my life.  Go for it.  I took a quick look at some of the replies and as a pretty experienced RV'er here in The States and thinking about my own configuration of an RV here for export there, I would stress the electrical issues that some have already commented on.  It might be somewhat expensive but considerable amp-hours (ahs) in your "house" battery is the key and then enough inverter wattage to power the appliances you plan to use.  You can charge the batteries from a generator, probably not with the little solar you can put on an RV roof.  Also, be careful about your refrigerator.  An absorption refrigerator requires a level RV.  So some kind of leveling device.  A skylight that opens for air is also highly recommended.  And, as for security, at your age and gender, please pay someone to put an alarm on your RV doors, to protect yourself and your belongings when you're not there.  There is a long list of issues to consider.  Gone are the days for me when I could move around Europe in anything approaching that VW camper.  But you don't need what I'm planning on bringing to Europe which is really a home on wheels. 

Just be sure you have a functioning kitchen and some kind of air circulation inside the RV.  If you'd like to discuss this further, please respond.  Since no one has responded to this for over six months, this may be too late to influence your decisions but good luck if you're out there on the road!

Here in the United States we have pet microchips that are embedded in your pet's neck. If the pet is lost and then found it can be taken to the local SPCA or any organization that has a chip scanner  and they will contact the owner.

I don't know if they have that in Europe yet but it would be worth looking into.

Here is a site that will tell you about them:

https://www.homeagain.com/

c9mc9d said:
Just be sure you have a functioning kitchen and some kind of air circulation inside the RV.  If you'd like to discuss this further, please respond.  Since no one has responded to this for over six months, this may be too late to influence your decisions but good luck if you're out there on the road!

I think no one has responded in 6 years actually...

All I can say is that you might be much better off buying a "caravan" over there. I saw a couple of Netflix shows this year about caravanning in England. They still don't have 45 foot motor homes and my sense is they do more travel trailers up to like 24 feet.

Not sure about Portugal...

So, I wonder how CloudyAmethyist adventure turned out.

Having driven around Europe a bit, I can say that the smaller, the better for an RV in most of Europe.

To help with your safety concerns; get some size 12 or larger men's boots (preferably used with caked on dirt) and leave them on or near your extended steps.
I doubt anyone would challenge whether or not there was a man inside.
An ounce of prevention.................

tote said:
To help with your safety concerns; get some size 12 or larger men's boots (preferably used with caked on dirt) and leave them on or near your extended steps.
I doubt anyone would challenge whether or not there was a man inside.
An ounce of prevention.................
haha..or some empty shot gun shells scattered around the steps ?!..lol.

Back
Top Bottom