2015 Dodge Ram 2500 VS 3500 6.7l towing a 5th wheel toyhauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodgeramdude

Hello all, I am in need of some advice regarding the new Dodge and pulling a 40'-44' 5th wheel with toyhauler garage with the rig itself being GVW @ 19,000lbs. More specifically, I am going to be purchasing one of these trucks and the rig we are looking at is by Grand Designs. It's about 19,000lbs fully loaded. My current truck is a 2004 2500 5.9l cummins with 4:11 gearing and we were pulling an 18,000lb rig with no issues however, I am unfamiliar with the new Dodge and I really prefer the 2500 vs the 3500, however the 3500 has a 29,000+ max versus the 2500 being lower. Anyway, can someone out there tell me which would be the better matched vehicle please. We will be towing it cross country from California up through Canada. I would also like to know which gearing ratio you suggest? Thank you in advance!

You really need to know rear axle payload verses the pin weight of the 5er. It varies a bit within each line depending on which options each truck has when it leaves the factory. I would suggest the 3500 DRW for a rig that will have a pin weight approaching 3600 pounds. Not many 2500 that will carry that much and have any room left for people and other cargo. Ignore the weight they say they can pull, it is what they can carry that will limit you.

I own a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Cummins I bought new in January.  It's an amazing truck.  I pull a 30' 8000 lbs travel trailer with it in very steep terrain at very high elevations, and I barely know the trailer is back there. 

That said, there is no way in Hell I'd put 3800 lbs of pin weight in the bed of it.  Yes, the truck is rated to 18,000 lbs of towing, but the payload maxes at about 2400 lbs.  That means no more than about 12K of fiver, and that would be pushing it.  You need a 3500 dually and nothing less for the trailer you want to pull.  You're almost getting into medium duty truck territory with a trailer that heavy. 

Bottom line, don't even think about the 2500.  Get the notion out of your head completely.  The Cummins will easily have enough power, but the rest of the truck isn't up to the task.  The Cummins only comes with 3.42 gearing from 2013 and up, and it's perfectly matched to what the diesel does.

Yes!!! The Dodge name is no longer used on these trucks, they are simply RAM, at least according to the current advertising.....

Alfa38User said:
Yes!!! The Dodge name is no longer used on these trucks, they are simply RAM, at least according to the current advertising.....

Thanks Stu. I didn't know that. Have a great day.

The basic difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the payload it can handle, which for 5W towing means the trailer pin weight. A 5W puts 20-25% of its total weight on the hitch pin, so that's what the truck has to carry. Frankly, I'm surprised your current 2500 isn't swamped with an 18,000 b trailer, but maybe it has an an upgraded payload option? Even so, I would worry that the rear axle is overloaded and may suffer premature failure.

The new trailer is going to have a pin weight around 4000 lbs, or maybe even a bit more.  Look at the specs on the 2500 and 3500 and see if both can handle that much weight on the back (payload rating and rear axle GAWR).  Usually a dually is required to carry that much weight, but I'm not up to date on Ram specs. Better yet, a 4500 rather than the 3500 for that much trailer.

Alfa38User said:

Correct  :)

In theory anyway, Ram was spun off as a separate brand from Dodge.

Thank you for the comments gentlemen. I did do some research today and concur that the 3500 is the correct choice with almost 6720lbs max payload capacity. In reality, the difference between the 2500's payload (only) vs the 3500 is the simple addition of it's leaf springs, which I installed Dover on my 04 with no issues at all. However, the new 2500's DO NOT offer the Aisin transmission NOR a gear ratio other that 3:42, (which sucks) because it only tows 15,290 MAX vs the 3500 29,000 with Aisin and the high output turbo diesel @ 865 ftlbs. of torque. (from memory...I may be off a little). So I am leaning towards the Aisin with the 6.7L HO with 865 ftlbs of torque with the 4:10 gears. Now the GVW of the 5th wheel is assuming EVERY crevice of the rig is occupied with people,fuel, water, waste,loading etc. so in reality, my wife and I with the grand kids included would more than likely create 15,000lbs of gvw..hence the 2500 would be "pushing" it's limit. I don't know...perhaps I'm wrong here...if anyone has some constructive criticism I'm open

I pulled my current 5er around the country twice with my 08 GMC 2500HD CC Duramax normal (short) bed. Rated at 13800 in fifth wheel configuration yet we pulled 16500 with no problems,  even had a panic stop on I84 outside Waterbury,  CT and had room to spare. Never felt like it was too much or not enough brakes, I did have an exhaust brake that worked great on those long downhill runs. Ran 275/65R18 Michelin LTX M/S2 @ 3415lbs load. Ok now that I said that we've upgraded to an 08 Chevy 3500HD XCab 3500HD DRW Duramax because it rides more stable and we are soon going fulltime so we'll be adding weight, a motorcycle on the rear hitch, more stuff....you know more stuff and I found this truck with 9432miles on its clock with an 18k Drawtite already in it for less than the GMC SLT sells for with 108k on its clock.  And after reading all the stats and listening to the advise given here and elsewhere it was the right thing to do. Any questions?

dodgeramdude said:
Thank you for the comments gentlemen. I did do some research today and concur that the 3500 is the correct choice with almost 6720lbs max payload capacity. In reality, the difference between the 2500's payload (only) vs the 3500 is the simple addition of it's leaf springs, which I installed Dover on my 04 with no issues at all. However, the new 2500's DO NOT offer the Aisin transmission NOR a gear ratio other that 3:42, (which sucks) because it only tows 15,290 MAX vs the 3500 29,000 with Aisin and the high output turbo diesel @ 865 ftlbs. of torque. (from memory...I may be off a little). So I am leaning towards the Aisin with the 6.7L HO with 865 ftlbs of torque with the 4:10 gears. Now the GVW of the 5th wheel is assuming EVERY crevice of the rig is occupied with people,fuel, water, waste,loading etc. so in reality, my wife and I with the grand kids included would more than likely create 15,000lbs of gvw..hence the 2500 would be "pushing" it's limit. I don't know...perhaps I'm wrong here...if anyone has some constructive criticism I'm open

The Aisin is indeed only available in the 3500, and with the weights you're towing, essential IMHO.  It's up there with the Allison in terms of reliability.  I didn't know the 4.11 gears were available with the Cummins this year....I thought all of the diesel trucks were 3.42.  The 4.11 would definitely be better, although the Cummins won't sweat the weight either way.

I love my new Ram truck.  I got (and recommend) the dual 220 amp alternators....440 amps of charging is very nice.  You could add a serious inverter if you wanted and run some big AC powered stuff in the boonies without a generator.  I've had my truck a year in January, and it's been trouble free. 

The 3500 DRW allows you a choice in rear axle ratios.  The 4.11 is available.  The trailer you selected should be pulled by a dually due to its pin weight.  I'm driving a 2013 with the AISIN and love it.

Thanks again guys! So here's what I found: The 2015 3500 with Aisin 6.7L HO 800lbs torque pulls 28,800lbs...the SAME truck with 3:73's pulls 23,300 and the 3:42's only 16,650,so IMHO it's pissin in the wind to purchase anything less than the 4:10 HOWEVER, the ride quality is "significantly" different VS the 2500 with the new suspension. I've always been told that the ONLY difference between the 2500 vs the 3500 is their "payload", hence my logic for adding the deaver springs to my 2004, (which I pulled 18,000lbs with the 5.9L up the 8 freeway to glamis all day long). I do understand pin weight and am just wondering if with a few upgrades to the new 2500, (since the ride is smooth) if in fact it would be able to hang?

I think you may have answered your own question, "with new suspension"  the reason for the softer ride is coil springs in place of leaf springs.  Can you find coils heavy enough to increase the weight capacity?  I have no idea.  Today I would say no.  Maybe next year?  Who knows.  Next is axle(s) gear ratio.  4X4 is going to cost double for a gear swap.  4:10 is not offered on 2500 series. People come on the forums all the time and ask this same basic question.  My stock answer has always been....... why not just get the proper tool for the job?  You want to tow heavy and want a passanger car ride?  It just makes no economic sense to try and skimp  you will end up spending lots of money and still have a truck that is marginal at best

donn said:
I think you may have answered your own question, "with new suspension"  the reason for the softer ride is coil springs in place of leaf springs.  Can you find coils heavy enough to increase the weight capacity?  I have no idea.  Today I would say no.  Maybe next year?  Who knows.  Next is axle(s) gear ratio.  4X4 is going to cost double for a gear swap.  4:10 is not offered on 2500 series. People come on the forums all the time and ask this same basic question.  My stock answer has always been....... why not just get the proper tool for the job?  You want to tow heavy and want a passanger car ride?  It just makes no economic sense to try and skimp  you will end up spending lots of money and still have a truck that is marginal at best

Saved me the trouble of typing it.

I love my 2500, but as mentioned it has coil springs in the rear.  The nice thing is it doesn't beat you to death when it's unloaded.  The drawback is lower payload.  Everything is a trade off.  If I got the hankering for a heavy fiver, I wouldn't try to change out springs and gears on my 2500....I'd change titles.  I'm sure Lithia Dodge would be happy to accommodate me. 

As mentioned, proper tool for the job. 

donn said:

This is not a "skimp" issue at all buddy and yes, I would LOVE the "passenger car (truck) ride" if relatively attainable and in this case of the new 2015 "Ram Trucks"...I'd say it most certainly is NOT. That being said, the weakest link of these vehicles typically (have historically been) their transmissions (I have no knowledge of the Aisin but hear they have balls) and again referencing my earlier post, I installed Dover springs on my 2004 for heavier payload and they have worked exceptionally well thereby obtaining the same rating as that of the 3500's. I also yanked out my oem transmission, (48RE) and had it rebuilt for $3200 with an HD torque converter, HD shift kit with re-valving and it tows MORE weight than the 3500. So for $6K, I have the smooth ride AND have significantly increased my towing/payload capacities and axel's are perfectly fine, (at least after 180K miles) . Hence the logic behind this post. This being said, the towing/payload capacities with trans options are non-comparable with the 2500 in this year...moot point. 3500 it is!

The 47 or 48RE automatics are no comparison to 68RFE or the Aisin automatics.  Do some reading, the 68RFE is every bit as stout as the Allison 1000 that GM people think is the best thing going.  Unless there was some changes the big difference is.... the Aisin can handle a bit more torque and came with an auxiliary PTO output.

Back
Top Bottom