Fire escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

de.carp

I need an escape ladder or slide board to get out of my window that is 7ft high
does any one know where to get them

Don't you carry a step ladder for maintenance? Set it up and run a chain and padlock to your rig.

Bill

Like I told my wife, in case of fire throw yourself out of the window and try not to bump your head on the way down. I don't think there would be time to set up a ladder or slide in time to use them.

not likely the easiest thing to do for some..... but I can imagine holding the ledge 7ft off the ground with my hands, and lowering myself towards a hanging position.... that would instead result in my feet on the ground before I actually reached a hang..... or if you're very short you'd have your feet at least very close to the ground

But, to answer your question..... I have no idea, but I would think it would be easy enough to buy a house version designed to hang from the sill, and cut it to length....
or perhaps get a ladder like they sell for overhead bunks in class c's

I've given thought to exactly how to get out my escape window, which is wider than it is tall. It is not as wide as my height. Swing one leg out, face down, swing other leg out, belly on sill now, ease on out further, while grasping sill with freakish adrenalin strength, as my center of gravity traveled past the sill gravity would take over, my struggle to hang on would slow the decent until the escape window banged down on my fingers breaking my grip, dropping me a couple feet to the ground, feet first, fall down, or not, get out of way by rolling or take a step aside to assist anybody else coming out. Who cares if you sprain an ankle in those circumstances? Don't store a bunch of shite under you window to impede exit. In fact I would guess that a ladder would slow down an escape, fumbling for a footing, thereby slowing down the next persons escape increasing their risk. Throw yer butt out the window and get outta the way.

Bill

Make sure the emergency escape window mechanism actually works - some have been found t be jammed or the release mechanism broken/corroded. Test at least annually.

Ours is also almost 7 feet, depending on how the coach is leveled out on the site. We expect to take some skin damage during an exit, but compared to a burn it seems like an ok thing. Even a broken leg doesn't sound bad compared to the alternative! I haven't found a rope ladder or similar that looks like it would help very much, and might waste time in trying to deploy. We do keep a rod handy to prop the window open, though. We also figure to drag bed coverings over the window frame as a cushion.

Here are several ladder possibilities on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/fire-escape-ladder/b?ie=UTF8&node=3180251

On survival mode your likely to throw some one out then superman out the window. and not feel bumps and scratches till hours later. but planning and being prepared is clearly the best way.

driftless shifter said:
I've given thought to exactly how to get out my escape window, which is wider than it is tall. It is not as wide as my height. Swing one leg out, face down, swing other leg out, belly on sill now, ease on out further, while grasping sill with freakish adrenalin strength, as my center of gravity traveled past the sill gravity would take over, my struggle to hang on would slow the decent until the escape window banged down on my fingers breaking my grip, dropping me a couple feet to the ground, feet first, fall down, or not, get out of way by rolling or take a step aside to assist anybody else coming out. Who cares if you sprain an ankle in those circumstances? Don't store a bunch of shite under you window to impede exit. In fact I would guess that a ladder would slow down an escape, fumbling for a footing, thereby slowing down the next persons escape increasing their risk. Throw yer butt out the window and get outta the way.

Bill

And don't forget "tear up your belly on the sill like you just scaled a barbed-wire fence".  :-[ Better than the alternative, of course, but still not a pleasant thought.

Interestingly enough, we usually end up with a picnic table up against our TT right under the window for the bunks so the kids should have an easy exit but the adults...not so much.

you know.... I might just plan a fire drill with my kids on our next outing!
Thanks for starting the thread!

Two things I did right away after buying the coach....
1) I installed a fire extinguisher in the back bedroom in case I need to fight my way to the kids, or the fire is between me and the factory extinguisher.  Actually, I learned long ago that the recommendation is to have an extinguisher close to the exit so that your back can be to the exit while fighting the fire..... so this all works....
2) I installed a smoke detector in the area under my bed, that contains the converter, transfer switch, and all the electrical gear and connections.... did I say that it's UNDER my bed?

A few things I'd add to the suggestions so far.

Unfortunately it's generally not the flames that kill people, it's the smoke. The toxic gasses as the plastics in your RV burn are deadly. Buy the smoke detectors that "link" together like these. http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-0919-9999-RF-SM-DC-Battery-Operated-Interconnectable/dp/B000HYOHZI  You can place one in the basement, one under the bed, in the kitchen of course and wherever else you suspect a fire may start. When one smoke alarm senses danger then all detectors sound, giving you early and loud alarm. I suspect you may not hear a detector under the bed or in the basement while driving down the road. Early detection is vital. Put a date on the batteries and change them regularly.

I'll guarantee that if the flames are licking at your butt you'll find a way out. Having some type of assist to get out the typical bedroom fire escape window is important. As a general statement ladders would be hard to make work well on an RV. Home escape ladders rely on a wall for the standoffs to hold the ladder away so your toes can get on the rungs. Especially on the slide outs there isn't a lot of wall for the standoffs to work well. Sliding out on your belly and hanging by your finger tips works for many of the younger more agile folks. As we age that ability diminishes. A knotted rope, anchored well inside might provide enough grip to assist. But there is no really good answer that I know of. Each person should look at their rig, their ability and think about what to do. Talk about the plan with whoever else shares your RV. Decide now who goes first. Seems silly, but many of us would never leave before our other half. It may be that the more nimble person should go first and then assist the other out, helping them to the ground. There is no best way, but get the arguement out of the way now.

Remember to buy yourself time. In my rig, if the living room is on fire and I'm not going to be able to fight my way out, I have two doors I can slide closed between me and the fire. That's time. As mentioned before, have an extinguisher in your bedroom to allow you to fight your way out.

If your circumstances are such that you will not be able to escape out the window due to size, disabilities, etc. develop a warning system to attract help. If I'm sleeping in my rig, the one next door could have a well developed fire before I get woke up and figure out that help is needed. However, if their horn is blaring repeatedly I wake up much sooner to see why. Could a horn button be remotely located to your bedroom? Or even a separate horn system installed with the button in back to attract attention for any type of emergency? If I were putting one in I'd have a pulsing horn with a on/off switch rather than a push button that I had to hold.

Thinking about what to do before the emergency will help you respond correctly during an emergency. Practicing what to do develops muscle memory to make actions automatic. During a fire you may not be able to see. Burning eyes, dense smoke and dark of night will probably make it impossible to see. Practice your escape with your eyes closed.

Here's hoping you never have to do for real what you practice.

Ken

Gary RV Roamer said:
Make sure the emergency escape window mechanism actually works - some have been found t be jammed or the release mechanism broken/corroded. Test at least annually.

I agree with Gary. Last spring, I tried opening my emergency escape window. I couldn't open them. I had to go out side and with a huge screwdriver and I was able to pry them away from the gasket.  I don't believe my DW would have been able to open them in a emergency. I think I could have but that's a maybe. This would be a good time for anyone rv'ing to take a couple of minutes and try your windows.

The biggest difficulty for those of us of advancing age and generous belly is actually getting ourselves through the window. Even with scraped belly and shins. Try to imagine yourself - and the wife - backing up to the window, sticking scrawny legs out into the void (even if there is a rope ladder dangling) and getting at least your hips onto the window frame so your feet can then drop down enough to find a ladder rung or even a picnic table. If the window is over the bed, you at least have a step up near it and a place to lay out, but if not how are you gonna get your hind quarters up there and through the opening? You may need more assist on the inside than for the drop to the ground. Think about it, and give it at least a partial drill to see if you can actually do it. You may well have a rude awakening.

I had to bail out of a lounge area window a few years back when our entry door jammed in a highway accident. Window was over a sofa and plenty large, but it was still a struggle to get my legs and gut over the edge. Drop was only about 5.5 ft so not bad, but I got a scraped belly and bruised shin as souvenirs. I was 66 at the time.

My wife and I...two rather large people have not done an actual exit out the escape hatch. I have wondered how the event would unfold. We have two dogs that sleep in the front of the coach in their crates. So my escape plan includes getting them out of the coach as well as getting Susan and I out safely...hopefully.

It would be a harrowing few moments that by the Grace of God and good safety measures never happens.

I have had to enter/exit the hard way (Via the escape window) due to a busted door lock (Tri-mark) so I know I can do it, I do not need a ladder to do it as I"m tall enough that the drop would be about an inch.

My biggest concern is getting the wife out.  I'm 71 but am not concerned about getting out of the exit window.  My plan would be to go first, use the molding on the side of the coach for a footing and then jump.  Even if the molding doesn't hold, I can still make it.  Upper body strength is pretty good.  My real concern is the wife.  She's short and a tad over weight.  While that's bad enough, I know she's going to try to get the cats out.  That could prove fatal.  As much as I love my cats, I'm not going to look for them when the motorhome is on fire.  My plan is to assist her on the dismount.  She used to ride horses in her youth.  Hopefully she'd get her legs out and I'll assist on the 7 foot drop to the ground. 

Hopefully we will never face a fire.  Regardless the temp, the furnace is never turned on at night which minimizes the risk.  We've made it through freezing whether on several occasions.  The only thing would be an electrical issue.  Maybe the refrigerator.  Not sure what to do about that. 

If in doubt about the wife's egress, she should go fist. You can't do much of anything from outside if she has trouble getting here legs & hips through the window.

The cat would be an issue for us too. Cats tend to go hide when things get tense, so if they aren't ready to hand and can be quickly tossed out the window, the emotions are going to be unbearable. You and the wife need to talk about that ahead of time, to try to get over that hurdle befre it happens.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If in doubt about the wife's egress, she should go fist. You can't do much of anything from outside if she has trouble getting here legs & hips through the window.

The cat would be an issue for us too. Cats tend to go hide when things get tense, so if they aren't ready to hand and can be quickly tossed out the window, the emotions are going to be unbearable. You and the wife need to talk about that ahead of time, to try to get over that hurdle befre it happens.

Hadn't thought about it from that perspective.  While my wife is considerably younger than me she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength.  I'm assuming she can get through the window on her own but a couple of practice attempts are in order.  The cats are another story.  Fortunately both sleep on the bed with us and hopefully wont bolt during an emergency. 

My wife would have a problem  getting out the window without help so I figure to move the mattress to the window and letting her slide out on it.  It won't e easy but should be doable.

just a thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom